IGNORED

10 -- four and 5 star hotels in bangkok

tookinky4her

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My very favorite- the SHANGRI-LA- the place is perfect- great location with bar at rivers edge- great pool- great gym- the best exec floor with free computers- drinks, and enough food to make dinner a waste- service like no other-

SHERATON GRANDE- really nice pool- lots of shrubs- early in morning you could swim laps- gym was good sized with the little TVs on the jog machines- didnt like fact that exec lounge is on first floor- - the tile baths and glass showers were cool- breakfast outstanding- my 2nd choice

JW MARRIOTT- rooms large and extremely nice- gym exceptional- breakfast huge- exec lounge has great drinks and again- all you need for dinner---- negatives- they charge for computers in exec lounge- and the pool is just ok

PENINSULA- I must be missing something here- every travel magazine has this place near the top of worlds best hotels -- there is no exec floor with snacks or drinks- the pool is nothing special- the gym sucks- and the rooms have nice view ( if you face water ) but again- not even a little bit wow!!

The SUKHUMVIT SOFITEL lobby has all the warmth of the mens room at Grand Central Station- which it closely resembles less the toilets-- 2 pools - one better than other but thats not saying much- rooms not as nice as Majestic (and that's last on my list) - gym poor- not a contender-

The PLAZA ATHENEE- tried it for 3 nights this last trip- rooms are near but not up to my top picks- pool also- negatives- the gym is terrible and the snacks on the exec floor are not enough for dinner- which adds to cost- Without my "pay for 2 nights- stay 3"- this would be most expensive choice- also while not far from Nana- late at night Wireless road is pretty deserted-

The DREAM-- upgraded me to suite- room is so cool with its soft blue lights- large flat screen TV- my Thai love went nuts- the bar is also a winner -- BUT pool in another building - the gym is maybe 4 pieces of equipment- and there is no breakfast buffet- nice but not for a repeat

MAJESTIC GRANDE - there seem to be only two elevators which were jammed (someone here said it was not built to be a hotel) - the pool area nice but the deck was too small and no where near enough chairs - to say nothing about no afternoon sun- the exec floor rooms are same as others but with 1000 baht upcharge- the gym was very basic- rooms small- bathrooms ok - pass for the future

LANDMARK- nothing touches the gym- rooms on exec floors are nice ( lower end rooms are not) pool has sun but nothing fancy- there is also tanning deck- the breakfast is well done and the evening drinks and snacks are really all you need for dinner- negatives- its getting tired- and its no longer cheap-

LEBUA AT STATE TOWER- the lobby is cold- the rooms are large with furniture that looks like IKEA- you have to sign a release to open the terrace door( I guess too many farangs were throwing BGs over the edge if they were no good in bed--) the bar near the top floor is beautiful -but to pour my TGF a tiny amount of wine for 700 baht ---made me want to throw the bartender over the edge- dont stay here and dont drink- just go and walk around listening to the Jazz band- you can almost see New York

TO QUOTE THE GREAT GEORGE BURNS

SEX AT MY AGE IS LIKE TRYING TO SHOOT POOL WITH A ROPE

IF YOU LIVE TO BE 100- YOU'VE GOT IT MADE. VERY FEW PEOPLE DIE PAST THAT AGE

Mate it sounds like you stayed at some great places but most of these hotels are beyond the budget of the average traveller.

So it's a nice read and thanks for the post but not really relevant for me.

caltexman- that used to be true- the Dream is around 80 us- the Lebua quotes over $200 (you can get now for under $100)

caltexman- that used to be true- the Dream is around 80 us- the Lebua quotes over $200 (you can get now for under $100)

Is that for a week.

Okay mate thanks.

I've stayed alot at the old Grand Pres in soi 11 suk and i love the location and the price is fair, but the pool sucks big time...................lol.

So maybe time to look around again for something a bit better with a much much better pool.

As to the Shangri la, mate that place is miles away from the action centres, i know i'ts nice but shit you would spend half your time in bkk in a bloody taxi............................lol.

Okay mate thanks.

I've stayed alot at the old Grand Pres in soi 11 suk and i love the location and the price is fair, but the pool sucks big time...................lol.

So maybe time to look around again for something a bit better with a much much better pool.

As to the Shangri la, mate that place is miles away from the action centres, i know i'ts nice but shit you would spend half your time in bkk in a bloody taxi............................lol.

Is the Shangri la more than 300 baht a night and does it have air con ?

Is the Shangri la more than 300 baht a night and does it have air con ?

yes.....i think so...? :P

Ary ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

"I kikiyat everything, I never kikiyat boom boom!"

lbfucker.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My very favorite- the SHANGRI-LA- the place is perfect- great location with bar at rivers edge- great pool- great gym- the best exec floor with free computers- drinks, and enough food to make dinner a waste- service like no other-

SHERATON GRANDE- really nice pool- lots of shrubs- early in morning you could swim laps- gym was good sized with the little TVs on the jog machines- didnt like fact that exec lounge is on first floor- - the tile baths and glass showers were cool- breakfast outstanding- my 2nd choice

JW MARRIOTT- rooms large and extremely nice- gym exceptional- breakfast huge- exec lounge has great drinks and again- all you need for dinner---- negatives- they charge for computers in exec lounge- and the pool is just ok

PENINSULA- I must be missing something here- every travel magazine has this place near the top of worlds best hotels -- there is no exec floor with snacks or drinks- the pool is nothing special- the gym sucks- and the rooms have nice view ( if you face water ) but again- not even a little bit wow!!

The SUKHUMVIT SOFITEL lobby has all the warmth of the mens room at Grand Central Station- which it closely resembles less the toilets-- 2 pools - one better than other but thats not saying much- rooms not as nice as Majestic (and that's last on my list) - gym poor- not a contender-

The PLAZA ATHENEE- tried it for 3 nights this last trip- rooms are near but not up to my top picks- pool also- negatives- the gym is terrible and the snacks on the exec floor are not enough for dinner- which adds to cost- Without my "pay for 2 nights- stay 3"- this would be most expensive choice- also while not far from Nana- late at night Wireless road is pretty deserted-

The DREAM-- upgraded me to suite- room is so cool with its soft blue lights- large flat screen TV- my Thai love went nuts- the bar is also a winner -- BUT pool in another building - the gym is maybe 4 pieces of equipment- and there is no breakfast buffet- nice but not for a repeat

MAJESTIC GRANDE - there seem to be only two elevators which were jammed (someone here said it was not built to be a hotel) - the pool area nice but the deck was too small and no where near enough chairs - to say nothing about no afternoon sun- the exec floor rooms are same as others but with 1000 baht upcharge- the gym was very basic- rooms small- bathrooms ok - pass for the future

LANDMARK- nothing touches the gym- rooms on exec floors are nice ( lower end rooms are not) pool has sun but nothing fancy- there is also tanning deck- the breakfast is well done and the evening drinks and snacks are really all you need for dinner- negatives- its getting tired- and its no longer cheap-

LEBUA AT STATE TOWER- the lobby is cold- the rooms are large with furniture that looks like IKEA- you have to sign a release to open the terrace door( I guess too many farangs were throwing BGs over the edge if they were no good in bed--) the bar near the top floor is beautiful -but to pour my TGF a tiny amount of wine for 700 baht ---made me want to throw the bartender over the edge- dont stay here and dont drink- just go and walk around listening to the Jazz band- you can almost see New York

Cheap, I saw the Landmark for $62 or so, someplace (Expedia maybe). I'm sure they're not Executive rooms though. A few years back I greased the front desk 1000 baht for an upgrade to Exec. for 3 days. Might be worth it for the gym, pool, & location. wj

I stayed at the Shangri-La 6 times as a tourist, always booking on Priceline for $55 USD. They used to offer an upgrade to a suite for

an additional $25, so I'd have a suite for under $100 (the regular rooms are not great imho, unless you're in the newer Krungthep wing).

Suites were basically a 1-bedroom apartment with great views of the river, all in the corner of the building. Bathrooms were immaculate,

could fit 6 bar girls in the shower. Also included a daily complimentary fruit basket and box of fine chocolates. If you booked the Horizon

Level (25th floor and above), you were entitled to Happy Hour in the Horizon Lounge (5-7 PM), with free drinks and hors d'oeuvres. The

smoked salmon with some Aussie wine went down nicely.

Retired

caltexman- since they built bts- havent been in a taxi in bkk (except from airport)

pc- gad- i get exec floor for around 150 on expedia- can you pick your hotel on priceline? That is really cheap

wacky- if you pay over 80 for Landmark now- you didn't try very hard-- lol

With whats going on in the world- there isnt a hotel that wont make a deal-- at my favorite small boutique hotel in London- just got 35% off room rate - and they threw in full breakfast ( usually 14 pounds)

in Bkk i always stay at the montien. its about £45 a night but right in the heart of patpong and its night market. travelling on my own and staying here is great because of the location but not sure if you can take the girls back in here. will let you know when i go next time. also the sky train is very close so you can get around the city very easily.

I can resist everything but temptation!

• 1 month later...

:GoldenSmile1: Conrad executive floor. Thats the shit!

I've seen the Conrad for $97 somewhere and the Plaza Athenee for $67. Both all in. Times are tough. wj

• 4 weeks later...
I've seen the Conrad for $97 somewhere and the Plaza Athenee for $67. Both all in. Times are tough. wj

Hilton (and Conrad) are having a two-for-one sale now. For Conrad, book between 1 June to 31 July and stay for 2 or more nights between 1 June and 31 August and you'll get half price.

- Available all days of the week

- Includes the famous Hilton breakfast

- Valid for bookings between 1 June to 31 July for stays between 1 June and 31 August

Plus weekend stays include:

- Lazy breakfast till 11am and late checkout till 6pm, where available

- Kids stay and eat for free, where applicable

I played around with dates yesterday and the executive floor rooms were pricing around 5,000baht/ night IIRC including the discount at the BKK Conrad. Link is here: http://conradhotels1.hilton.com/en/ch/hote...ctyhocn=BKKCICI

For Hilton (e.g. Millenium), book by 17th August, for a minimum of two nights between 26th June and 31st August, and when you pay for one night the second is free. Or book for three nights or more, and enjoy 50% off the price of each extra night. Includes ABF and late (6pm) checkout. Link is here: http://www.hiltonbusinessonline.com/landin...mc_id=123782348

Millenium Hilton was pricing out at about 3,000baht/ night.

Agree the Conrad executive lounge is great.

Chilled, neither shaken or stirred.

All rooms face the river. Personally I love this hotel, and have stayed on several occasions in standard rooms, balcony rooms and suites. Did you stay here, or just wander around on some tour? What I love about this place is the small things; things you perhaps wouldn't pick up as a non-guest. And what about the MO? Cheers, Pete.

Chilled, neither shaken or stirred.