IGNORED

Can Thai shops unlock UK cell phones ?

Hi

I will be bringing my cell phone across to thailand in a few days.

It is a samsung 900. Locked on o2 network based in uk.

My question is : will the thai cell phone shops (all over pattaya) be able to unlock this phone , so i can use the cheapo 7/11 thai sim card.

I would rather sort it out over there (and also in the UK it would cost 10pounds/500 bht but i would expect 50-100 if it can be done there?)

Can someone who has actaully done this - if not o2 then another uk network - reply so i know answer for definate

thanks for help

ps. i wont be using o2 again so it doesnt matter what happens when they unlock it

o2 only lock the iPhones to their network, Im not aware of any other phone they do it to. Try popping someones orange or Voda sim in to your phone before you go.

To answer your question....

MBK shopping centre is your best bet if you are in Bangkok first, or Tuk Com in Pattaya to get your phone unlocked (if indeed it needs it).

If you are handing out your number to the girls, buy yourself a pay-as-you-go SIM number to hand to them if you like them and want to keep contact. Then just use Rebtel to SMS/call them when back in your own country (you will save a small fortune)

The answer to my question is YES they can unlock phones.

But not cheap.

first place said - 500 bht (central pattaya onto soi buck-cow (fuck knows how you spell it), first shop on left)

second place said - 300 bht (first one on right, its an outside shop)

still above uk prices at 5 pounds i think??

anyway, it turned out the phone was not locked at all!! it was my old 7/11 sim card that was fucked or had been blocked becuase not used for a while.

Bet they would have still chgarged the money though if i'd given them my phone.

thx for replies

Have a look at this site 1st

Then look at the forum link

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/unlock-mobile-phone
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=10212847#post10212847

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

• 3 months later...

Hi

I will be bringing my cell phone across to thailand in a few days.

It is a samsung 900. Locked on o2 network based in uk.

My question is : will the thai cell phone shops (all over pattaya) be able to unlock this phone , so i can use the cheapo 7/11 thai sim card.

I would rather sort it out over there (and also in the UK it would cost 10pounds/500 bht but i would expect 50-100 if it can be done there?)

Can someone who has actaully done this - if not o2 then another uk network - reply so i know answer for definate

thanks for help

ps. i wont be using o2 again so it doesnt matter what happens when they unlock it

First find a nice gal that speaks at least a little bit of non bar english. Then go to the mobile cellphone floor of MBK. Then...wander around for a couple of hours or so until you you understand the whole thing. You can get ANYTHING unlocked, it just takes a while to find the shop that can do it. I have a brand new ATT Blackberry Curve that I just got unlocked for 150 baht...works perfect in Thailand and America....

However be careful...again take some time to find a good little booth to do this. This is my experience in Bangkok at MBK...not Pattaya. Hopefully the shops at TUK in Pattaya are as skilled as MBK. samuijim

Avatar...Hillary says to Bill, let's name her Monica

• 1 month later...