IGNORED

Motorcycle insurance?

Sloracer

After having a dickhead farang nearly clip me undertaking me at high speed it prompted me to think about bike insurance, again! Just wondering what others are doing for bike insurance.

From what I've read the government insurance is very limited and near useless. If you hit a Bentley or a pedestrian you could be up for big dollars in damages.  Interesting article here.

https://pattayarentacar.com/blog/the-truth-about-bike-insurance-in-thailand

I did an online quote for class 1 insurance with roojai, it was expensive and still quite limited.

For my new Honda Click 160 bought for 72k they would only cover a market value of 51k ฿ with an at fault excess of 50k ฿ !!.

Cost of policy ฿3278 P.a. for traveling under 2k klm p.a.

3rd party property damage 1.5m ฿ max. That could cover a door on the Bentley.

3rd party injury max. 500k ฿

So in summary quite expensive and relatively poor cover.

Keen to hear any reccommendations or advice about insurance.

• Like 1

I got a class 1 policy direct from honda on a 1000cc for 13k/yr that covered a ton of stuff with a 10k excess. Claimed on it within months from some stupid drunk car driver. Paid out smoothly and fixed my bike fully with luckily no major injuries to anyone.

I'd say depending where you drive mostly, if there's rich people and pricey cars you'd definitely want some high level insurance.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sloracer said:

After having a dickhead farang nearly clip me undertaking me at high speed it prompted me to think about bike insurance, again! Just wondering what others are doing for bike insurance.

From what I've read the government insurance is very limited and near useless. If you hit a Bentley or a pedestrian you could be up for big dollars in damages.  Interesting article here.

https://pattayarentacar.com/blog/the-truth-about-bike-insurance-in-thailand

I did an online quote for class 1 insurance with roojai, it was expensive and still quite limited.

For my new Honda Click 160 bought for 72k they would only cover a market value of 51k ฿ with an at fault excess of 50k ฿ !!.

Cost of policy ฿3278 P.a. for traveling under 2k klm p.a.

3rd party property damage 1.5m ฿ max. That could cover a door on the Bentley.

3rd party injury max. 500k ฿

So in summary quite expensive and relatively poor cover.

Keen to hear any reccommendations or advice about insurance.

The compulsory insurance covers injuries to third parties as a result of an accident. It doesn’t cover damage to vehicles.

I guess motorcycles bought on time payment (probably most) are covered by comprehensive insurance. Once paid off I guess that most small motorcycles are uninsured. I did not know of any that were…. As you have discovered it is quite pricey, thus something the typical working class Thai would not bother with. 

5 hours ago, Micky2 said:

compulsory insurance covers injuries to third parties as a result of an accident. It doesn’t cover damage to vehicles.

Yes but cover is minimal, 30k ฿ if you are at fault. If the injured needs major surgery you would be be liable for a lot more.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Sloracer,

May I ask you what was your decision regarding insurance? I'm looking into purchasing a Honda ADV 160 and looking into the policy thru Roojai instead of the Insurance purchased through the dealership. 

The Roojai website is pretty straightforward but getting specifics about Honda insurance is challenging, to say the least from the dealership.

Would welcome other members' advice on this subject.

TIA

• Like 1

The Honda insurance I got was just the standard government insurance which is very limited. The basic insurance is all that my dealer Mityon Honda offered.

I also bought a car recently so the scooter was getting a lot less use.

However I will probably end up getting the Roojai comprehensive insurance just for added peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's Viriyah?

AFAIK Rooyai is just an agent, not an insurance company, hopefully finding the best one for you?
I'm with them and happy.

I think you can only insure small bikes/scooters First Class up to 2 years old.

^^^

Broker.

I went thru all this trying to get insurance with adequate medical insurance for myself in the event of an accident.

You guessed it, laughable cover levels for serious premiums