IGNORED

Renting motor bikes

pathway

want to do some travel around the area , but would like to rent or lease a motor bike. So how easy is it do rent one? where do you go to rent and what are the requirements to do so? Do you need a international drivers license or will a passport do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Very easy, just money and passport but get a good colour photocopy and try to get them to accept that(not always possible)

you can get anything from 100cc to 1000cc

prices from 150 to 1200 baht per day, you can barter the price especially for more days

Note its DANGEROUS out there.

Wear a decent helmet and some protective clothes.

A great way to see stuff around the area

Member since Dec 06.

Motor bikes are available all over Pattaya and Jomtien area,if you're touring you'll probably want a bigger bike with that i can't help you,but if your wanting just a wave,nouvo or twist and go types they go for about 200baht a day better off renting by the week or month though as it will be alot cheaper.

I rented from mai pang in jomtien but they have shops all over the area,wave 2600baht for month automatic 3000baht for month,only had to show passport which they took a photo copy of and 1000baht deposit which you get back upon return,hope thats been of some help.

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"

Motor bikes are available all over Pattaya and Jomtien area,if you're touring you'll probably want a bigger bike with that i can't help you,but if your wanting just a wave,nouvo or twist and go types they go for about 200baht a day better off renting by the week or month though as it will be alot cheaper.

I rented from mai pang in jomtien but they have shops all over the area,wave 2600baht for month automatic 3000baht for month,only had to show passport which they took a photo copy of and 1000baht deposit which you get back upon return,hope thats been of some help.

that helps some...thanks

Motor bikes are available all over Pattaya and Jomtien area,if you're touring you'll probably want a bigger bike with that i can't help you,but if your wanting just a wave,nouvo or twist and go types they go for about 200baht a day better off renting by the week or month though as it will be a lot cheaper.

I rented from Mai pang in jomtien but they have shops all over the area,wave 2600baht for month automatic 3000baht for month,only had to show passport which they took a photo copy of and 1000baht deposit which you get back upon return,hope that's been of some help.

I always rent from them over songkram as I don't like getting my own bike drenched ( The foam in the seat gets sodden and gets boiling hot in the sun for a month after --burnt bollocks :o )

The bikes are well maintained and they are reasonably honist , apart from the value of the bike on the insurance form you sign .

They overvalue by 50% and , as you have to pay half if it's lost or stolen , you might consider this .A new 'novoe' is about 53,000 Bt here so valuing a 6 year old obsolete model at 35,000Bt is a bit OTT.

The beach road rag heads are generally robbing sods and the bikes are badly maintained in my experience .

If you get one with a defective exhaust the Bib will want 1200 Bt now and you pay it , not 'Abdul' .

They DO insist on your passport usually so they 'have you over a barrel' if anything happens .

Try arguing that you have to carry your passport by law here and you need it to cash travellers cheques . :Chokdee3:

They don't ask about licences /experience ext in my experience of them , as they don't give a fuck if you die as long as they get there profit! Fallang all rich so big bucks to get the passport back.

The contract also says THEY choose the repair shop so you can read that as uncle Mohammed who will charge you UK prices instead of the pennies repairs to vehicles cost here !

There is no such thing as 'fair play' to a Thai so they WILL shaft you if they can !

That is why you will notice outlines of bikes chalked on the road every few meters where some poor sod has lost it or been hit by a truck. The Bib record the event for posterity , like , in white.

Don't worry about the Thai drivers though as it will always be your fault , even if he runs into you !

Be aware that your health insurance may be nullified by undue risk if you ride a motorbike here .

Anyway , good luck ! Bart buses are every 20 seconds , go everywhere and charge 10 Bt by the way ! :)

Edited by swanks

Yeah good shout swanks, it is always your fault even if it isn't when involved in an accident with a thai

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"

Good topic

Make sure you are really careful if you rent a big bike like a 600cc or 1000cc

i have seen 2 guys crash with minor damage and they had to pay 35-40,000 baht

the thai's will take you to the cleaners

much better to rent a small 125cc bike . you can buy a new one for 35,000 baht

Take it Easy bike rental off 2nd road opposite soi 7 and 8

UK owner and good about problems will not rip you off

I rent form the Travel agent just outside Sunshine hotel Soi 8 150 Bht ok for getting around nothing special but never had any problems.

"A man does what he can until his destiny is revealed"

There's light at the end of this long tunnel

.............and make sure you lock it with YOUR lock. And a big chain. And an armed guard. And a concrete bunker....and, if it's a scooter: CHAIN IT TO SOMETHING BIG,HEAVY AND USELESS!..........they just pick them up and stick them on a truck, locked or not.

Rented mortorcycles disappear like an errant teenager and that's your holiday well and truly rubbered.

Not that I'd be stupid enough to know or anything.

If you are gonna tour on a big bike then please:

Bring a spine protector from home.

Bring a proper helmet

Bring some light kevlar gloves

Wear heavy jeans

Wear boots

Keep your speed down till you've got the feel for what Thai drivers do. There is logic to it, just not OUR logic.

Get health insurance that covers you

Be careful out there.

I managed to get a clean current model, automatic bike with two helmets and a good horn for 150b a day & 1000b deposit.

The place I rented from was near the dolphin round about- corner of Koala / Garden Lodge on Soi Naklua 18/2. Firstly he wanted 300b a day, gave him my best smile and settle on 150b per day. I kept coming back to extend as I only rent in two or three day blocks (no need to reapply with passport) - You never know what happens in Pattaya. Usually the petrol tank is running on empty, so you can't argue when you got a good deal. The only dangerous place I come across is the dolphin round about and the odd russian driving on the wrong side of the road.

Question for the renters, did you bother the padlock the front wheel and take out insurance?

I didn't do insurance.

LS

I'll be bach!