Sign in to follow this  
niftynau

Southern Lao Village Photos

cheang

Interesting photos, it absolutely makes on appreciate what they have.

somtampet

Great pics mate.Puts a whole new slant on the posters who say you cant live in Thailand for less than 100,000 baht a month lol,

alfisti2005

thanks for posting this great pic´s.

brewster

Great to see this thread resurfacing as I missed it first time round.

My girl is from a village about 20km from Pakse and I'm heading out there for New Year. I'll be staying in Pakse at the Pakse hotel, rather than at her home (we're unmarried!) but I think that will suit me. I've spent many times at my previous (Thai) girlfriend's home in Bua Chet near Surin, but expect that to be modern luxury compared to the Laos village.

If the OP is still about, I might PM you for some tips, if that's OK!

Edited by brewster

niftynau

Great to see this thread resurfacing as I missed it first time round.

My girl is from a village about 20km from Pakse and I'm heading out there for New Year. I'll be staying in Pakse at the Pakse Hotel, rather than at her home (we're unmarried!) but I think that will suit me. I've spent many times at my previous (Thai) girlfriend's home in Bua Chet near Surin, but expect that to be modern luxury compared to the Laos village.

If the OP is still about, I might PM you for some tips, if that's OK!

Still around Brewster, PM by all means, happy to assist if possible...All the best...Neville

Highlander

Great pics mate, thanks for sharing

albundy4eva

Sometimes these photos make me sad.

brewster

Still around Brewster, PM by all means, happy to assist if possible...All the best...Neville

Cheers, will do. Will be staying in Pakse for only 3 days (this time) and one of them will be with the girl's family. So we'll probably only have 1 day for a trip somewhere. Where would you recommend? The Pakse hotel seems to do tours so I may just play 'tourist' a book one of them. If all goes well, I hope to be back again later in the year.

Thanks.

niftynau

Cheers, will do. Will be staying in Pakse for only 3 days (this time) and one of them will be with the girl's family. So we'll probably only have 1 day for a trip somewhere. Where would you recommend? The Pakse Hotel seems to do tours so I may just play 'tourist' a book one of them. If all goes well, I hope to be back again later in the year.

Thanks.

I finish up 85km north of Pakse where there is no option for day trips..The only way in/out of "the village" is by way of hiring the local larger than normal tuk tuk...Because the road is so bad it then takes 30 mins to get to the main road village...(no farangs and no call for day trips from there either)

Did overnight in Pakse on my first trip and i think it was Pakse hotel, was quite good and appeared to be run by a farang but never got the chance to talk to him..

If "the village" was closer to Pakse i would do as you are going to do because conditions are so harsh in the villages and it gives you the opportunity to see more of Laos if day trips are available..Because of doing business in Bangkok time does not allow me to spend time in Pakse as well as going to the village...

Love to read your trip report after you have been...All the best...

Dr John

I finish up 85km north of Pakse where there is no option for day trips..The only way in/out of "the village" is by way of hiring the local larger than normal tuk tuk...Because the road is so bad it then takes 30 mins to get to the main road village...(no farangs and no call for day trips from there either)

Did overnight in Pakse on my first trip and i think it was Pakse Hotel, was quite good and appeared to be run by a farang but never got the chance to talk to him..

If "the village" was closer to Pakse i would do as you are going to do because conditions are so harsh in the villages and it gives you the opportunity to see more of Laos if day trips are available..Because of doing business in Bangkok time does not allow me to spend time in Pakse as well as going to the village...

Love to read your trip report after you have been...All the best...

Great pics..............at first Blush reminded me of Villages in Central Nepal,near Chitwan National Park.............

the girls were exotic as hell, but I couldn't monger there because I was with my wife and kids (now ex-)...........

oh well, I am now free to return to LOS...........lol

Unfortunately, ca't find pics of Nepal, you'll have to take my word for it!

Poor, dirty, with great people and the occasional stunner!

RAM8

Isn't it funny that no matter how poor or rich they are, the children always have smiles on their faces.

Edited by RAM8

leadpencil

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed the photos.

I ventured into Laos in August but only really saw Luang Prabang and Ventiane in any detail. I plan to go back to less touristy areas at some point and this thread certainly serves as inspiration to do so.

shanespeed1976

mate they are some of the best pics ive seen on the forum no seven elevens or maccas out there