IGNORED

Scooter Hire & Insurance

size13shoes

Hi

Do scooter places in Thailand have insurance options for damage or theft of the scooter and damage to another vehicle?

Are there any other options available to cover this?

From what I’ve seen they just do the minimum and pay the Tax and government insurance which covers more medical personal injury.

Edited by size13shoes

2 minutes ago, size13shoes said:

Do scooter places in Thailand have insurance options for damage or theft of the scooter and damage to another vehicle?

No idea but do your travel insurance cover accident with motobike?

I've been trying to make sense of the travel insurance policies, they usually talk about the access amount which is usually related to car insurance. Some say motorcycles/ scooter are not classified as Rental vehicles. I'll do some more reading 

Important also to look under EXCLUSIONS. Will cover motorbike size and licence requirements 

My policy had a specific add on for motorcycles. So I'm covered as long as I'm not drunk and wearing a helmet. 

I'm covered up to 250cc or bigger if I own a bigger size bike in my home country.

Edited by Sloracer

I also being struggling with this. I wanted to rent a scooter when i go there this year. It's hard to find a travel insurance that also specifically includes motorbikes rental accidents cover. Found some but only specifies up 125cc. And most Scooters are 150cc and up i think (and my preference).

I found MrPrakan insurance has Motorbike Rentals insurance and you can choose the cc's. But you have to make another insurance and only specific for that. Does anybody have better options?

On 19/01/2023 at 20:48, Sloracer said:

My policy had a specific add on for motorcycles. So I'm covered as long as I'm not drunk and wearing a helmet. 

I'm covered up to 250cc or bigger if I own a bigger size bike in my home country.

Which is your home country? If the UK could you tell me what insurance company you are referring to? TIA

On 24/01/2023 at 10:09, black dog said:

And most Scooters are 150cc and up i think (and my preference).

There are lots of Scooters for rent that are 125cc, the most common being the Honda Click. 

9 hours ago, Shaygate said:

Which is your home country? If the UK could you tell me what insurance company you are referring to? TIA

I'm from Australia. Company is covermore but probably not available in the UK.

1 hour ago, Sloracer said:

I'm from Australia. Company is covermore but probably not available in the UK.

I'm in Australia also, I've viewed covermores pdf policy it covers you for medical expenses while riding a motorcycle if you have an accident, but it doesn't cover the scooter or anyone's vehicle or damage to property. 

The thing is most insurance companies will pay the excess amount of the rental vehicles insurance. Considering in Thailand hire motorcycles don't come with insurance for theft, damages to the hire scooter or damages to another person's motorcycle car or property etc so you are not covered for this.

Another thing I found is if you look at the definition or rental vehicle in the policy nearly all don't include motorcycles or Scooters.

1 hour ago, size13shoes said:

I'm in Australia also, I've viewed covermores pdf policy it covers you for medical expenses while riding a motorcycle if you have an accident, but it doesn't cover the scooter or anyone's vehicle or damage to property. 

To get this cover you would need to buy 1st class insurance in Thailand which is not cheap and wouldn't work for a rental scooter.

I saw a shiny new Bentley on Beach Rd the other day. Worst case, you run into that with your scooter, it could be very costly!!.

Thanks, I contacted a insurance broker in Pattaya he said non of the companies he deals with offers this type of insurance. I don't really find the need to hire a scooter in Pattaya as its so easy to get around, but I do like to hire one in the smaller places like Hua Hin as its a bit more spread out and not as busy with traffic so I will just have to be careful while I'm there