IGNORED

sim card for longer term

filipef

I am almost sure this kind of question has been asked/answered, but i can´t find it....sorry guys.

For my last trip, i bought a Tourist SIM Card for 30 days. It expired already (but i have it with me). Next trip, i intend to stay longer (more than 90 days).

What will the be the best solution for me? 

Phone calls are not so important for me, so i dont care if i have to have a new card/new number,  but internet and apps use is (whatsapp, Line, email, twitter, facebook/messenger, some youtube).

(for example, if i have to buy a new 30 days tourist sim card and renew it when it is about to expire, i will have to pay the same (about 1000 bahts) i had paid, for the same 30 days, and this each 30 days?)

My Sim that I had for 5+ years expired with CV. I bought a Sim at the airport and just used the small machines outside many 711 to extend the expiry. Many of them take a 10 baht coin (they charge a fee) tho some have a 20 baht minimum and that gives you a month extension. 

My expiry date is now mid 2023 

Edited by biggles

1 minute ago, biggles said:

My Sim that I had for 5+ years expired with CV. I bought a Sim at the airport and just used the small machines outside many 711 to extend the expiry. Many of them take a 10 baht coin (they charge a fee) tho some have a 20 baht minimum and that gives you a month extension. 

My expiry date is now mid 2023 

thanks. And does that extension come with internet limits?

As far as I know the small machines only extend your phone load and the sim expiry date. I also got a  data package from the ais booth at the airport where I bought my sim. The 30 day data packages expiry had no effect on the expiry of my Sim. 

Edited by biggles

• 2 weeks later...

Terminal 21 have a dtac shop buy a sim card there this is not a tourist sim thay will set up the app on your phone you will be able to top it up with whatever package you like you will also be able to extend the validity of the sim via the app you can do this when not in thailand using wifi and any debt card hope this helps mate

You can also try on Lazada. They have good Sim card options for several different time periods.

For example the one I have is 1500 baht a year with 100gb data per month and 60 minutes of calls.

They generally deliver in a day and it takes about 5 minutes to setup on your phone.

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

A bg friend bought me an AIS 12C 5G 3-in-1 sim for 300 Baht.

She says the 300 baht credit does not expire with time, and can be topped up if required.

I don't know how it works, I only use it occasionally for texts and line messages.

I have an oldish mobile which I only use in Thailand.

I bought a 15 day AIS package( data etc.) from arrivals hall  in BKK last September. 

A month or so ago I installed the AIS app and checked the SIM status. The package had expired but the SIM was still valid albeit going to expire in a week or so. 

I used the app to add a 10 baht credit which gave the SIM a new lease of life. This done in UK.

Arriving in BKK in a week or so and will use the app to add a data package so I have a working mobile upon landing. 

Keeping the same number is handy, saves messing around with apps that use the number. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/12/2022 at 13:58, filipef said:

I am almost sure this kind of question has been asked/answered, but i can´t find it....sorry guys.

For my last trip, i bought a Tourist SIM Card for 30 days. It expired already (but i have it with me). Next trip, i intend to stay longer (more than 90 days).

Phone calls are not so important for me, so i dont care if i have to have a new card/new number,  but internet and apps use is (whatsapp, Line, email, twitter, facebook/messenger, some youtube).

(for example, if i have to buy a new 30 days tourist sim card and renew it when it is about to expire, i will have to pay the same (about 1000 bahts) i had paid, for the same 30 days, and this each 30 days?)

1000 baht for 30 days?? 🤑

You can obtain a fully loaded SIM with 12 months of unlimited data(6 Mbps) and unlimited free calls to any network for less than 200 baht more.

https://shopee.co.th/ซิมเทพ-Dtac-Infinity-เน็ตไม่อั้น-6Mbps-โทรฟรีทุกเครือข่าย-นาน-1-ปี-ซิมเทพดีแทค-ซิมเน็ตรายปี-เลือกเบอร์ได้-i.61231837.6135026699

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-dtac-infinity-6mbps-6m-simnet789-i2362354417-s7986634460.html

The Truemove H version doesn't have unlimited any network calling, but just 60 minutes. It has unlimited same network calling and unlimited data at 6 Mbps. You can also use True WiFi Hotspots for free.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/6mbps-1-sim-true-1-melonthai-i761152975-s1470766068.html

https://shopee.co.th/product/317579107/7255536900

Can order COD to arrive at your hotel.

• Like 2

AIS esim plus the AIS app on my phone, on arrival at BKK I put 30days 20mbps data on for 300baht. Lasts me my 28 day trip, back to UK for 2 months and return topping up again, never had any problems with connectivity or speed even when using NETFLIX via hotspot to my ipad, adequate for my needs. 

5 hours ago, RomaBob said:

AIS esim plus the AIS app on my phone, on arrival at BKK I put 30days 20mbps data on for 300baht. Lasts me my 28 day trip, back to UK for 2 months and return topping up again, never had any problems with connectivity or speed even when using NETFLIX via hotspot to my ipad, adequate for my needs. 

That package is no longer available to new subscribers. Now all AIS packages have a limited amount of data. Not an issue for you at the moment.

On 29/12/2022 at 20:58, filipef said:

The DTAC package I use is a 90 days unlimited data at 10Mbps - thb 900

4 hours ago, Kandinski said:

The DTAC package I use is a 90 days unlimited data at 10Mbps - thb 900

SIM options with DTAC: https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

They also have unlimited up to 20 & 30 Mbps with unlimited free any network calls monthly packages for 200 & 265 baht. 

Also available to eSIM.

• Like 1

Current 90 day package from Dtac if you get hold of one of there sim cards. 

Easy to top up in the app and you can extend validity by 1 month per top up or  up to 1yr for 3bht/month via short codes if you make sure international roaming is switched on before you leave LOS. 

Screenshot_20230206_193612_dtac.thumb.jpg.66c89db093ad3489b80415278b4fb24b.jpg

Edited by Baddave

On 12/01/2023 at 14:30, Smeghead76 said:

You can also try on Lazada. They have good Sim card options for several different time periods.

For example the one I have is 1500 baht a year with 100gb data per month and 60 minutes of calls.

They generally deliver in a day and it takes about 5 minutes to setup on your phone.

What is the download speed? Does the 60 minutes carryover if not used completely?

I'm thinking buying two of those sims (2 sim phone) would cover 200gb per month which is plenty for me. 

6 hours ago, Baddave said:

Current 90 day package from Dtac if you get hold of one of there sim cards. 

Easy to top up in the app and you can extend validity by 1 month per top up or  up to 1yr for 3bht/month via short codes if you make sure international roaming is switched on before you leave LOS. 

Screenshot_20230206_193612_dtac.thumb.jpg.66c89db093ad3489b80415278b4fb24b.jpg

That package is best for existing users. They need to use spell check before releasing these things :) 

For new SIM there are better deals, as illustrated in the post above yours. 90 days of 10 Mbps is 540 baht for a new SIM. 20 Mbps for 90 days is 600 baht. 30 Mbps for 90 days is 795 baht.

22 minutes ago, OKAY said:

What is the download speed? Does the 60 minutes carryover if not used completely?

I'm thinking buying two of those sims (2 sim phone) would cover 200gb per month which is plenty for me. 

15 Mbps. No. Unless you want AIS specifically just buy a unlimited data SIM in the first place. Though the speed will depend on your location; don't just depend on the specification.

• 4 months later...

Can a tourist SIM be used to get a standard package (non-tourist) at a later date.

i.e after you leave Thailand, go back home and then top it up just to keep the SIM alive, then when you go back to Thailand  you add a standard package, and not have to buy the overpriced tourist packages ?

11 hours ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

Can a tourist SIM be used to get a standard package (non-tourist) at a later date.

i.e after you leave Thailand, go back home and then top it up just to keep the SIM alive, then when you go back to Thailand  you add a standard package, and not have to buy the overpriced tourist packages ?

Misread. 

Edited by Baddave
Misread

18 hours ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

Yes no problem 

On 21/06/2023 at 02:30, logboy said:

Yes no problem 

Ok, that's good news.

Re topping up the SIM (something I've never done), the tourist package I got currently has some instructions which suggest you need to top up by scanning a QR code and registering the SIM card (including taking a pic of yourself and your passport). Is the last part really necessary ?

• 2 weeks later...

I might be getting my first Thai SIM soon.  Ideally I want to use it for 30 days then keep it alive remotely for an entire year until I come back.   Is any company better than another in terms of allowing me to keep a SIM alive remotely for the least amount of money?

With Dtac, you can extend validity by 30 days just by topping up the bare minimum 20bht. However,if you maintain a balance over 200bht, you can extend validity for 3bht per 30 days via USSD short codes. 

You do need to activate international roaming  before you leave Thailand. 

I downloaded the app and top via the app whilst back home. When I need extend the sim expiry date,I switch on the Sim(Dual sim phone) and use the ussd code for however long you need, up to 365 days maximum. 

https://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

It says 2bht per 30 days, but it's actually 3bht. In real money it's less than £1 per year if you don't  topup.