IGNORED

Building A Better Pattaya Beer Garden -

PattayaPete

My apologies for the lack of updates on this blog recently. My weak excuse is that I have been home to NZ for a couple of weeks much needed R&R and we have been busy adding a few improvements to the Beer Garden as well.

We are approaching our 1st year of operation and with that experience behind us looking at ways we can improve the services The Pattaya Beer Garden offers.

Probably the biggest problem I could see was that the main bar was so large that it was a little hard for people trying to meet the girl of her dreams. I wrote in February about the smaller, more intimate bar we were adding specially for those looking to meet someone. Well it has been operational for about a month and seems to be fulfilling its function. Freelancer numbers are up and most are choosing to sit at the small bar. Our afternoon promotion is having a slow but sure effect and the number of girls about in the afternoon is on the increase. We could still use much more and so the promotion will continue through April and probably May as well.

mar01.jpg

The new bar in operation.

mar02.jpg

No change to the bar would be complete without a picture of a crazy Thai workman. In this fine example, when the ladder was not high enough to reach the roof the simple and obvious solution is to tie two ladders together.

mar03.jpg

mar04.jpg

mar05.jpg

mar06.jpg

mar07.jpg

mar08.jpg

mar09.jpg

mar10.jpg

The tables around the inside of the bar annoyed me. The problem with them was that they were normal height tables so people sitting at the sort of disappeared and go a free view of the bums of people sitting at the nearby bar. (Sometimes not such a bad thing). We have now replaced all the inside tables near the bar with new models that are at standard bar height and they have comfy high backed chairs as well. We have also added fans above this internal seating as it could get quite hot sitting there.

mar11.jpg

mar12.jpg

mar13.jpg

These tables all have a near by power point as well and so make an excellent workplace for those who want to use the free wifi.

The final improvement finished last month was to the toilets. I made the classic mistake when we built the bar of letting the builders choose the toilets. Of course they chose cheap Thai made ones that are too small for many Farang bums and with a plastic mechanism so cheap it would break if you looked at it for too long. Having kept out maintenance man fully employed for the past year fixing them I finally bit the bullet and threw out the four units we had and purchased five brand new American made Farang friendly appliances. The fifth one will eventually be installed in the Ladies where we only have two stalls at the moment. ( a bit of a bottle neck at times).

mar14.jpg

It's only a toilet but it is Farang friendly.

Having got all that out of the way we are no revisiting the menu. No drastic changes are planned but we will drop a few items that do not sell so well and add a few new things. I asked our Executive Chef about a Sausage based meal to add to our comfort food menu and she blew me away by preparing a gourmet delight Sausage and Mash spectacular. With the special sauce she adds it is actually one of my favorite meals now and even a few Thai's who tried it out really loved it. It should be on the menu in a few days.

VEGETARIANS TAKE NOTE:

I've had a few vegies approach me in the last month asking if we could add some vegie food. We do a mixed vegetable Thai dish as well as Fried Rice with vegetables but we are now looking to add some Tofu dishes as well. As I am not a vegetarian any feedback from the Vegies out there as to what you would like to see on our menu would be welcome.

We get a lot of good comments on our steaks. This surprised me a little as I made a decision way back at the start that we would have to use local beef as the imported steaks would lift the price beyond the bracket we wanted to be in. As many of you will know local Thai beef does not make for great steaks but it seemed an unavoidable compromise.

While recently going through the prices of different suppliers with the Executive Chef we were looking at steak and she pointed out to me where our steaks come from and how much they cost. I was more than a little taken back when I realized she has been buying and serving imported New Zealand steak the whole time. No wonder they taste so good.

Although our profit margin is a bit low on these steaks I am pleasantly surprised that we can do them for the price we do. It must be the cheapest imported steak in Pattaya. We will continue serving these at the same price and I will stop telling everyone they are local beef.

In light of the world wide credit crunch and the tough economic situation we will not be raising any of our prices in the foreseeable future. Thailand is actually experiencing quite high inflation at the moment and our cost of goods have gone up around 10 percent in the past year. The volume that we are doing is much greater than I originally planned for though and good news about that, is that it will allow us to absorb the price increases and not pass them on to our customers.

See you in the Beer Garden.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PattayaPete

Pattaya Beer Garden Website

Looking forward to checking out the changes.

These are my top 3 phase two-changes for next year:

1. Go Kart track around the outer edges - would be graet fun when drunk

2. Crocodile petting zoo in corner.

3. Live fucking show from suspended motorbikes that come down from the roof - on the hour, every hour

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the update Pete... Good to see you are not making any drastic changes to the menu. Will be seeing you in a few months to smaple more of your fantastic food.

A couple of suggestions, if i may?

1) On a number of occasions when the place is crowded, and i have had to sit by the "kitchen end" of the bar, i always get a front row seat of the gents toilets, and a steady procession of people taking a piss. Is there no way of screening this from the rest of the place. Maybe a partition wall in front?

2) Whenever i have gone there, looking to eat, in the company of more than one person (say a group of 4 of us) looking for an outside table overlooking the bay, there is sometimes a lone punter taking up a table made for either 6 or 4, nursing a drink for 45 mins to an hour. This must be costing you a LOT of custom, because i am sure some people just turn on their heels and walk out, going to a competitor's place instead. I notice a few places with similar problem impose a rule that tables meant for large multiple occupancy are "reserved" for large parties only.

Just a thought

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

Looks good, Pete!

A few suggestions: at night the many neon signs inside give too much light to see the people clearly, and also it gives a kind of cold atmosphere IMO. Also, when you sit at the tables, and want to read, a light with an adjustable dimmer (more/less light) would be very nice. Or reading lamps?

Men want to fuck many women. Women want to fuck the best provider. Only in the paysex scene both goals are met.

Hi KatandMilo

I have constantly referenced the problems we had getting meals out in a timely fashion. Although we addressed the problem many times last year the growth we saw just ate up the improvements. In January this year I wrote a long post detailing further improvements and saying I felt we were on top of it at last. Since then feedback has been good and most meals are delivered in 10 - 15 minutes.

On the service side I think we have it pretty much right and once again most feedback is very positive. I am sure we do mess up occassionally but it is very infrequently these days.

If you want to see all the stuff I have written on this check out the blog at pattayabeergarden.com.

It's been a big project to get going and if I pride myself on anything then it is listening to customer feedback and doing something about it.

I visited the PBG a lot last summer and at Christmas :)

I usually went there in the early evening with my thai gf and we would have something to eat and drink. And we enjoyed looking out to sea whilst we were eating.

I will be back in Pattaya in July/August and am looking forward to visiting PBG again.

I felt a lottle disapppointed that my favourite waitress wasnt in any of the pics lol

Ha Ha - classic - the guy just made a load of changes after I'm sure, considerable thought, and the respose is 'why don't you change this? 'Why don't you change that'!!

The 'phase two' changes are already scheduled to be made next year, so you lot with your 'dimmer lights' and 'consistent food' will have to wait.

Keep the suggestions coming though :)

Fair play to you making the improvements you can never please everyone. I have never made it in that far,i always end up getting caught but some young lady in the boxing bars,but will come to try the food in june from the positive things ive read its top notch and good value.

PattayaPete why don't you post your menu here.

I've visited PBG more than once and have a good idea what you sell but there'll be people who have not called in and would be interested to see what is on your menu

I have spent some time at PBG. Great location(bring your camera). Had both Thai and

farang food, never been disapointed with food or service. And truely the coldest tiger draft

in town. Looking forward to many more good times there. I even got a lovely FL from there

one time.

I spend a lot of time in PBG when I am in Patts and yes sometimes in the past it took a long time before I got my food but I am on holliday so time is on my side,I have a drink more and the food comes anyway.

I will be back in May and I will frequently visit PBG .

See you in May Pete

Great photos and update..

Will be Back in Patts May and June, have always enjoyed PBG and can't wait to see all the improvements.

Have always found the food and service fantastic and would recommend if you have not yet visited PBG

to do so.

:Hello1:

PattayaPete why don't you post your menu here.

I've visited PBG more than once and have a good idea what you sell but there'll be people who have not called in and would be interested to see what is on your menu

Hi Blue

The menu is on the web here.

Thanks for the update Pete. Looking forward to seeing in person how the renovations end up.

One suggestion for you. You have beer, food and women in the place. All thats missing to make it perfect is some fishing rods!! :P

Testicles

I'd remember that toilet loo anywhere, especially up close and personal one night.

I like your place, very good food, BM,Akademik was having 3 courses to my 1 :Hug1:

Your right to have a more intimate comfortable place for guys and girls to mix its a huge open place.

Watch out for scams in LOS !! The biggest one is, when you come to Thailand "your in pocket", when you leave you've been sucked dry!

:D

sigpicSIG5.jpg

I have been to Pattya a few times and each time I stop by the PBG I don't see many women (Freelances) sitting at the bar. I have usually gone at 8:30 pm to 10:00 pm on four or five separate times. Am I going at the wrong time. I read a lot of info on the freelances at the PBG and it sounds like a great place to chill, drink and meet someone.

Big improvment Pete...when i was there over xmas we did have to wait for our meals for about 25-30mins...but no big deal really. The girls were having their cocktails & the veiw is so relaxing,none of us really noticed..it was busy though.

Always a favourite place of mine...keep up the good work m8.

I ate my breakfast there a couple of times in February and enjoyed it.

And will be back next time im in pattaya.

• 1 month later...

>VEGETARIANS TAKE NOTE:

>.... we are now looking to add some Tofu dishes as well. As I am not a vegetarian any feedback from the Vegies out there as to what you would like to see on our menu would be welcome.

Cool !! I'm a veggie and I do go to PBG every time I'm in Patts. But always ordered only a beer since I figured there was nothing there for me to eat. Now I can look forward to more than just beer.

One suggestion for you. You have beer, food and women in the place. All thats missing to make it perfect is some fishing rods!! :rolleyes:

that would be awesome !! LOL i see people catchin the small squid on the beach

that would be awesome !! LOL i see people catchin the small squid on the beach

I wonder if there would be any objections to people bringing in thier own fishing rods. We could have a Pattaya Addicts Fishing Party at the Beer Garden.

We could dunk some of the super skanky Beach Rd free lancers into the water as thier fishy smelling pussies might attract some other sea creatures. :rolleyes:

Testicles

I think your effort customer service wise on here is excellent, you'll never please everyone but the fact that your trying to take onboard suggestions is really appreaciated. Can't believe i never made it to your place last trip but i will ensure to spend some of my Baht with you real soon just based upon your effort and thoughtfulness.