IGNORED

Tramadol Addiction

wengweng

I have been on Tramadol now for about five years , and  at times I have gone without it, but for the last few years been on it virtually everyday. Two tramadol tabs and a couple of paracetamol in the morning after  work , then maybe  again in the evening. I have had them with alcohol in the past but that was a couple of years back, but  now just the prescribed tramadol and headache tabs with water . When I have tried give then up or cut down I get  flue like symptoms, waking in the early hours  sweating yet shivering cold. with a dull headache and  sickily feeling. my joints and muscles ache, and I just seem to always feel like i am in a permenant  mild flu or cold  state. I have recently started high blood pressure tablets  but still waiting to see if they kick in and help.  My vision is getting blurred when looking at the tv, but I was told by the opticians it was my high blood pressure .

Have any of you (especially older guys) gone through this?  how did you cope with it and  and how long did the withdrawal symptoms last? I wanted to start exercising but always feel worse and cough after doing so. I will be going back to the docs soon, but just wanted to know about any of your  experiences with Tramadol. 

Edited by wengweng
  • Like 1

no experience myself. but a mate of mine had some sort of stomach op in thailand years ago and was given tramadol as a pain killer. he got addicted and after maybe 5 years got on a NHS program and managed to get off it. he was not able to do it alone. your location is uk. go tell your doc your problem

1 minute ago, striderman said:

no experience myself. but a mate of mine had some sort of stomach op in thailand years ago and was given tramadol as a pain killer. he got addicted and after maybe 5 years got on a NHS program and managed to get off it. he was not able to do it alone. your location is uk. go tell your doc your problem

Cheers thanks for the info, i will  have a word with the doctor this week,

Docs can give you all sorts of stuff to try and knock down the symptoms, but it's a bitch either way you slice it. Only thing that ever worked for me was a very slow and controlled taper. Even then it was hardly all roses. You should 100% seek medical advice.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

You take it because you can't stop or you need them for something?

It was because of pain, knee joints and elbows. I tried martial arts year s back and got all sorts of pains. i  was awful at it lol, but before being on that I tried stuff like Ibroprufen, but Tramadol seemed to be the last resort.  That was originally what it was for, but later on it would relax me after work and stop any pressure in my head, that I think maybe attributed to high blood pressure.  I  would doze off watching telly or  being  on the laptop. However turning fifty it doesnt seem to help much with pain or is that relaxing, instead when i try and stop I get the effects of a flu and other symptoms I described in my opnening post.

28 minutes ago, Tchiowa said:

Smoke some weed and wean yourself off the tramadol.

Thanks for the advice. but I  dont like it to be honest, and not had it for decades it made me ill. When I went out clubbing I tended to stick to alcohol when I was younger.

What you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms.

Your body has become dependent on them and it is not liking you when you stop cold turkey

If you can't handle the withdrawals on your own then perhaps you should check out a detox facility where they will help you through the withdrawal process.

Tramadol is a rather mild opiate but it can lead you to start pursuing the more high powered opiates which can lead to a pretty crappy life.  Get yourself some help before it becomes uncontrollable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, j_d66 said:

What you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms.

Your body has become dependent on them and it is not liking you when you stop cold turkey

If you can't handle the withdrawals on your own then perhaps you should check out a detox facility where they will help you through the withdrawal process.

Tramadol is a rather mild opiate but it can lead you to start pursuing the more high powered opiates which can lead to a pretty crappy life.  Get yourself some help before it becomes uncontrollable.

Thanks , I will be checking into my doctors for his  help. 

• 2 months later...

Your just going to have to go through a couple of weeks of feeling shit.

There is no magic recipe just think how much more you will enjoy life once your free from that shit.

I had some once after teeth whitening felt like I was walking on marshmallows not pleasant at all

I've got a terrible back pain here in LOS right now due to rock hard bed. No problem back in Farangland. 

I went to Pharmacy this morning and was recommended Tramadol by pharmacist. I have taken 2 so far, was ordered 3 a day. Should I stop taking Tramadol? Is it to risky?

20230201_145146.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tarpon said:

I've got a terrible back pain here in LOS right now due to rock hard bed. No problem back in Farangland. 

I went to Pharmacy this morning and was recommended Tramadol by pharmacist. I have taken 2 so far, was ordered 3 a day. Should I stop taking Tramadol? Is it to risky?

20230201_145146.jpg

i ain't no doc but my mate got stuck on it for at least 5 years and needed a NHS (uk health service ) program to get off it

4 hours ago, Tarpon said:

20230201_145146.jpg

Try Gabapentin for a knotted back....It works really well for me...Tramadol is like a sledge hammer to crack a egg..

7 hours ago, Tarpon said:

20230201_145146.jpg

I would stop as soon as you can. Tramadol is very, very addictive. 

The OP is a very good example, i think. I also felt the "power" of tramadol: once i went to the hospital with a mild pain condition and the doctor gave me tramadol when i got in. I felt great! Next morning, another doctor came in and told me to ask for it if i was in pain, which i did. The problem was that, i felt so great after i took it, i found myself asking for it, faking pain. I realised what was happening and i stopped right there.

• Like 2

I have access to opiates for my back pain, but I steer clear. I use one Meloxicam a couple times a year before bed. It's amazing for me how well it works with no side effects.

As far as getting off the Tramadol, let your doctor steer you.

It will all come down to how much you want to change for the better.

• 1 month later...

Greetings, 

If you're addicted to Tramadol or other opiates, it's recommended that you start using Kratom powder/tea to minimize painful withdraws! Conduct a thorough research on Google websites and YouTube before experimenting with kratom!

Goodluck

• Like 2

Hang Loose, mongoose!

On 15/11/2022 at 12:29, wengweng said:

I have been on Tramadol now for about five years , and  at times I have gone without it, but for the last few years been on it virtually everyday. Two tramadol tabs and a couple of paracetamol in the morning after  work , then maybe  again in the evening. I have had them with alcohol in the past but that was a couple of years back, but  now just the prescribed tramadol and headache tabs with water . When I have tried give then up or cut down I get  flue like symptoms, waking in the early hours  sweating yet shivering cold. with a dull headache and  sickily feeling. my joints and muscles ache, and I just seem to always feel like i am in a permenant  mild flu or cold  state. I have recently started high blood pressure tablets  but still waiting to see if they kick in and help.  My vision is getting blurred when looking at the tv, but I was told by the opticians it was my high blood pressure .

Have any of you (especially older guys) gone through this?  how did you cope with it and  and how long did the withdrawal symptoms last? I wanted to start exercising but always feel worse and cough after doing so. I will be going back to the docs soon, but just wanted to know about any of your  experiences with Tramadol. 

I've taken Tramadol/Marol for now 19 years for a medical condition

They do exactly what it says on the tin as regards the condition itself but if you miss the dose in the morning accidentally you'll suddenly realise by about 11am that you havent taken it from the symptoms you describe above

As for booze not the slightest issue never has been either or at least not for me

Withdrawal from addiction to opioids takes 4-10 days.  Hang in there and do what you must do  

At 64 years old have had so many pains and aches it becomes something that you live with.  Couple times have taken the Ultracet here in Thailand which contains tramadol, never more than a day or 2.

My advice is learn to live with minor aches and pains....muscle problems from workng out as OP mentioned...yes everyone gets muscle pains from overexertion.  As you get older it will occur more often

Ibuprofen helps reduce swelling , muscle aches, etc...  all you need plus time.  Healing takes time, simple as that

The human body will heal, but you have to grin and bear it, not medicated it every time

Good luck and stay strong

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung....and may you stay - Forever Young

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours Bobby Dylan

On 21/03/2023 at 05:20, LovinBgood said:

Ibuprofen helps reduce swelling , muscle aches, etc...  all you need plus time.  Healing takes time, simple as that

The human body will heal, but you have to grin and bear it, not medicated it every time

Yes unfortunately if you have Chronic Fibromyligia for 19 years reference my earlier post you're simply not going to be able to "grin and bear it " lol

Edited by KyleReading

On 21/03/2023 at 05:20, LovinBgood said:

Withdrawal from addiction to opioids takes 4-10 days.  Hang in there and do what you must do  

At 64 years old have had so many pains and aches it becomes something that you live with.  Couple times have taken the Ultracet here in Thailand which contains tramadol, never more than a day or 2.

My advice is learn to live with minor aches and pains....muscle problems from workng out as OP mentioned...yes everyone gets muscle pains from overexertion.  As you get older it will occur more often

Good luck and stay strong

Thanks for the advice, I am trying exercising to help with this . However I always feel like I have flu or mild cold symptoms  after exercising, and i dont mean any stressful intense exercising. I dont try and  train like Rocky,  just  some ligh exercises with a barbell and some dumb bells I have at home.

I have other various exercise equipment at home, such as an abdomin wheel,  kettlebell and skipping rope. I   think maybe some gardening may help, but what ever the exersion I get these ailments afterwards that last days if not weeks. I have showers straight after  exercise to try and avoid it, but maybe its age along with tramadol. anyway thanks for the positive encourgement . cheers :Chokdee:

After a career of observing patients who advertently or inadvertently got hooked on opiates and it is unbelievably sad.

Ftw if I needed extreme pain control i would insist on a diclofenac 100mg suppository. Regularly see hospices using them.
Might sound mad but works a treat.

I read this with interest as when my Hips were replaced I was prescribed this for the pain and it did nothing at all to relive the pain. I did not know anything about the drug and was taking double the dose at times hoping for relieve but no help at all only years later i read just how strong and what it was. I thought maybe i was given bad copys of it but it came directly from the hospital where the operation was done so who knows

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

20 hours ago, KyleReading said:

Chronic Fibromyligia

Sorry to hear that. Yes, conditions that have no cure are considered "chronic".

Google says 2% of people in the U.S. have this.  I did not know it was so widespread. 

Cannot imagine having this disease. 

Do you think the  OP wengweng has this disease?  

May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung....and may you stay - Forever Young

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours Bobby Dylan

On 15/11/2022 at 19:29, wengweng said:

Do you smoke or did you smoke previously?

You started a thread a while back on weight loss. Hows that going?