Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best current golf society

Gonetothedogs

Not full or arseholes like Bunker Boys or the Travelers who seem to think they are competing in the Ryder Cup.. Just fancy a couple of rounds, nothing serious 

• Like 3

Witherspoons on soi boukhaow is non competitive.  Run by Paul Carpenter, nice guy.

Please tell us more about your experiences with the 2 arseholes you mentioned

• Like 2

18 hours ago, penboy said:

Witherspoons on soi boukhaow is non competitive.  Run by Paul Carpenter, nice guy.

Please tell us more about your experiences with the 2 arseholes you mentioned

I suppose Arseholes might be a bit much, but my experience with the Bunker Boys and the Travelers was a bunch of guys taking it way to seriously and basically arguing all the way round 

Just now, Gonetothedogs said:

I suppose Arseholes might be a bit much, but my experience with the Bunker Boys and the Travelers was a bunch of guys taking it way to seriously and basically arguing all the way round 

......and then arguing in the bar when they get back for presentation :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penboy said:

......and then arguing in the bar when they get back for presentation :)

That’s where it was going, so I ducked out and went to another bar. 

Maybe I had them on a bad day 

43 minutes ago, Gonetothedogs said:

That’s where it was going, so I ducked out and went to another bar. 

Maybe I had them on a bad day 

They do enjoy controversy. Some good guys there but a lot of easy-going type golfers don't like the serious nature and go to other socities. Some of the expats get their kicks by taking money off newbie arrivals with their gambling games. They don't like it when they lose though :)

give the links a try on bhukaow. pretty easy going blokes no gambling crap either.

• Like 1

Try the Swan on soi Yamato (13/1). Usually just run 1 bus so no big queues to get started. Definitely not competitive. Just guys,  lately Brit’s, out to enjoy a day out and a few beers after the game. Play Wednesdays. Scores generally range from about 90 - 115. 

Edited by Geordie59
  • Like 2

I was in Pattaya last month,Never played golf with the Bunker Boys before this trip .. Found them to be excellent to play golf with. Run very professionally,no problems at all. Maybe you just went on a bad day.

1 hour ago, theshu25 said:

I was in Pattaya last month,Never played golf with the Bunker Boys before this trip .. Found them to be excellent to play golf with. Run very professionally,no problems at all. Maybe you just went on a bad day.

Unlike other golf societies, no-one involved in the running of the organisation benefits financially (AFAIK).

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, penboy said:

Unlike other golf societies, no-one involved in the running of the organisation benefits financially (AFAIK).

Hi mate, BM @Tuna Town plays a lot of golf with these groups, I am sure he can give you good advice there.

• Like 2

image.png

On 02/11/2022 at 15:21, Jebb said:

Hi mate, BM @Tuna Town plays a lot of golf with these groups, I am sure he can give you good advice there.

Technically I don't as I try to avoid playing with the golf societies as I prefer the flying solo setting my own schedule 

Most of them will run competitions but you can opt out if you want 

Just tell them you don't have a handicap and just play your own game

As for the groups being a bit cliquey well it is to be expected 

Most are going to populated with expats who play regularly and will of course know one another quite well so they going to have their own little in jokes 

My suggestion would be to try a few of them and find what fits best with you 

Consult the Pattaya Sports Club Webpage and it will have a pile of the societies playing and their schedule 

When I did go via the golf bar route I did find one a bit cliquey and awkward but the next one I played with was made to feel welcome and had a great time with that group 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I used to play with The Golf Club most of the time. Then it was Traveller's.

As TT said, there are a lot of guys at the various bars that play with the same group of guys all the time. Of course they're going to be a bit clique-y. But I've found both places very welcoming.

TGC is gone now that the main owner passed but Derek and Billy run a great show at the Traveller's. And most of the players are mostly very friendly.

Looking forward to January.

Edited by sulu
  • Thanks 1

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve recently joined up with the Bunker Boys…found them a decent group of fellas. The Sports Lounge is a great bar for breakfast and snacks. Nothing but good things to report.

24 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I’ve recently joined up with the Bunker Boys…found them a decent group of fellas. The Sports Lounge is a great bar for breakfast and snacks. Nothing but good things to report.

Which courses did you play with them? How many were there golfing?

35 minutes ago, penboy said:

Which courses did you play with them? How many were there golfing?

Here are the schedules for Nov and Dec. I reckon 20+ golfers. I will be playing in Dec in the medal at Greenwood and at the fabulous St Andrews.

1DDBD372-790E-4D11-8749-25C5AC72622F.png

On 01/12/2022 at 01:09, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Here are the schedules for Nov and Dec. I reckon 20+ golfers. I will be playing in Dec in the medal at Greenwood and at the fabulous St Andrews.

1DDBD372-790E-4D11-8749-25C5AC72622F.png

That's a long day out 

9:30am leave the bar 

11am tee off

6:30pm Presentation 

That is what keeps me out of the Golf Bars unless they are playing somewhere I want to get on at a great price 

It just such a long day which rubs you out of other Pattaya activities you could be doing 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 31/10/2022 at 15:34, Gonetothedogs said:

Not full or arseholes like Bunker Boys or the Travelers who seem to think they are competing in the Ryder Cup.. Just fancy a couple of rounds, nothing serious 

really I have played with the travellers for over 10 years and never heard or seen any bother.if you are in a comp then you must play to the rules some people want to take liberties with the rules and are quite rightly pulled up on it as it is unfair on the other competitors. if someone needs to cheat to win a couple hundred bhatt then I feel sorry for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to play with TGC till Steve passed on, and have played with TRGG since , like any bar you have get in and get to know the guys, yes it is competitive but most of guys have a handicap and want to play there best game, anything wrong with that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 20:06, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I assume those prices you quoted from The Bunker Boys don’t include transport. How much is that. 

4 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

I assume those prices you quoted from The Bunker Boys don’t include transport. How much is that. 

Sorry mate - not sure about transport costs as I get a lift from a mate…at a guess possibly 250 THB.

For info:

A7C83958-B654-400C-BE3E-B5643E48BF75.jpeg

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

34 minutes ago, davidge said:

For info:

A7C83958-B654-400C-BE3E-B5643E48BF75.jpeg

So just add a caddy tip ?

Those are some pretty good high season numbers, even if Emerald and Mountain Shadow aren't the most popular venues (pretty difficult for high handicappers).

Any idea how big a turnout they get on a given day ?

• Like 1

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

25 minutes ago, sulu said:

Those are some pretty good high season numbers, even if Emerald and Mountain Shadow aren't the most popular venues (pretty difficult for high handicappers).

Sorry, I’m not interested in golf and have no idea of the details. I just saw the advert and thought some people might be interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

6 hours ago, sulu said:

Yes mate - these package deals mean that a caddy tip (300/400THB) is the only additional payment.