Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best airport to arive in USA

hungryandy

Hi Guys, again thanks for all the good input.

I was trying to avoid long immigration or customs cues because of the problems with the feet. Not worried about anything in my bags.

Ended up that I am coming over by EVA and landing in San Fran. I am then on Virgin America to Vegas.

Only found out about Virgin America by accident. Looks OK on paper.

The thought process for any ones thats interested. . . . .and bear in mind as my client pays for Business class I was determined make teh best of that perk. . . . . .

1] Thai direct to LA would have been excellent EXCEPT for 2 problems. a] The funny design of the new business class seats that have a table in between instead of an arm rest that means your table arm is about 5 inches higher than the other arm. Realy throws the back out on a long trip.

b] Most importantly - On a trip to Australia they substituted a OLD short haul configuration both directions. TERRIBLE.

2] Korean Air has flights into Vegas which would be great - except that they have a 12 to 13 hour layover in Seoul and a "technical stop" on the way back. Makes it nearly a 40 hour flight.

3] Philippine air would have meant an overnight stop in Manila and thats a real hassle and and extra expense. Also had mixed reviews on teh web sites.

Booking dates were also a hassle on the local legs - 130,000 people trying to get into and out of Vegas around teh same dates doesn't help.

EVA had good reviews on teh seats and service .

I will post a review of teh flight when I get back. Again thanks for the input.

Andy

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Guys just an update now the trip is over.

I was fortunate enough to have some one else to be paying Business class for it - so with that proviso heres a quick review . . .

EVA Air BKK Taipei SFO. Return - Thai Baht 91k

Virgin America SFO to Las Vegas return about US$ 530 (note they have UNBELIEVABLY prices on restricted Economy at around US$ 40 per leg.)

Landing in SFO a pleasant surprise - kudos to Homeland Security.

The Eva Seats were great even though they weren't fully lie flat. Any airline with fully flat seat was about twice to 4 times the price and I just cant see the value in that.

Food was very tasty with large servings. The staff offered an initial drink - but dint bug you after that - but no problems asking for more of anything.

Service was excellent - but impersonal in the style of Cathy and Singapore.

The cabins in both directions on the Bangkok Taipei leg were uncomfortably warm.

Movie selection was adequate - could have been worse, but as I dozed a lot of the way it wast an issue.

Layover for 3 hours in Taipei was painless and "transfer" was a low security scanner check and took all of 60 seconds.

SURPRISE - I came in through SFO to specifically avoid LAX Immigration cues and it worked.

The cue took about 20 minutes - people at the end would have had about 40 minutes, (this is the alien cue) and was well organized.

While the Immigration officer was not "Mr. Smiley" he was courteous and efficient and as soon as I mentioned the convention he proceeded very quickly to finalize the formalities, and what seemed like a genuine welcome.

The Customs cue was more of a surprise. It was quite long and seemed to be filled with home coming Aisians getting hteir purchases veted. When I headed from Imigration to the customs line, the officer at the entrance to the area checked my card asked what I was ther fore (again I mentioned the convention) and I was told to "Go that way". My heart sank at this point as I thought i was being sent for secondary customs before even geting to primary. To my surprize "that way" lead straight out - no checks at all.

The Internal security inspection cues at SFO - entering the Virgin America Area, Las Vegas and again at SFO were ALL very polite and efficient. This was a huge change in attitude from when I was last ther eafter 9/11.

Virgin America was OUTSTANDING despite no loung facilities at the moment. (they should make that clear on the web site as I had along wait for teh flight out of Vegas and a lounge would have been great.

The Aircraft was imaculate and "space age" - Seating extremly comfortable.

FOOD - They had a snack box of "Tapas" style food which was great not a lot - but just right for a flight. I would very much like to see this type of food on all airlines for longer haul flights. A great alternative.

Stayed at the Las Vegas Hilton as there is no bus ride involved to get to and from teh convention site. It has turned into a real HOLE !

Had to get 4 things fixed when I arrived in the room including a rebuild of the aircon plant. Not teh sort of thing that should have been missed.

As the occupancy rates are very low most of the time, you think the would take this oportunity to do room manitenance at a time when locking out rooms would not effect their revenue.

While meal costs were OK and quality was good - Beverages and snacks and fruit were unbeleivably expensive.

The water in the room is NOT complimentary - its $4.00 per 1 ltr bottle !!

After a couple of days found teh AM PM (like a 7/11) just oposite where water was 90 cents for about 1.5 litrs, and beverages and fruit etc wer avout 30% to 40% the cost of the hotel or the convention centre.

Again guys thanks for the original recomendations.

Glad things worked out for you. Virgin America is just starting up and the discount commuter terminal for Virgin Am, Southwest, Jet Blue has not been completed, so all Virgin flights leave from Int'l terminal which is nice for your itinerary. I also agree that LV Hilton sucks. It hasn't been updated in maybe 15 years when they focused primarily on Star Trek Experience. With most of the major conventions, folks just hang out in the new hotels on the strip and take shuttle buses.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of business are you in?

Edited by arbiez

Glad things worked out for you. Virgin America is just starting up and the discount commuter terminal for Virgin Am, Southwest, Jet Blue has not been completed, so all Virgin flights leave from Int'l terminal which is nice for your itinerary. I also agree that LV Hilton sucks. It hasn't been updated in maybe 15 years when they focused primarily on Star Trek Experience. With most of the major conventions, folks just hang out in the new hotels on the strip and take shuttle buses.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of business are you in?

Yep stayed at the Rio All Suites one year and that was great !! With the foot playing up this year being "on site" took priority. The buss cues can be murder.

I was over for the NAB Convention / Exhibition. National Association of Broadcasters. Ive been in Broadcast and Post production (like special effects for ads and movies) since 1975 in one way or another.

The NAB gets about 130,000 visitors and their members (applicable to US Broadcasters) get room priorities and discounts at the better hotels.