IGNORED

Question on visa - residence, travel proof

StoicSquirrel

Hey, everyone!

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in the coming months. I was hoping people here could clear up some questions for me. I'm a EU national and I understand I currently have 2 good options if I want to stay for 2-3 months (or potentially longer with visa-runs). 

Visa exemption 45 days + extension, or tourist visa 60 days + extension. 

My confusion primarily lies with, first - proof of leaving Thailand. Second - proof of residence.

1.  I understand when boarding the plane or once I'm at border control, I might be asked to provide proof of me leaving Thailand (a plane ticket back home or to another country). How does this work if I want to stay the full 90 days on a tourist visa using the extension? Can I enter Thailand and have a plane ticket booked for day ~90, or do I have to book a plane ticket for ~day 60, and then book another flight for day ~90 when extending my visa? 

2. I would, ideally, like to travel to Thailand and explore free of commitments. Book a hotel for 2-3 days in Pattaya, and then go from there about finding an Airbnb or a condo for short term-rental. In other words - not make any massive commitments until I am already there. Would I be required anywhere in the visa or flights process to provide any sort of proof of where I will be staying, and if so, does it have to be for the full duration of my stay?

I've been having a difficult time finding answers on this. As I have a fairly limited budget compared to some of the people on this forum, I don't want to end up making some grave $$$ errors before I even arrive. 

Thanks in advance!

1) book onward travel ticket for US$12

2) just give name of 1st place that you are staying