IGNORED

Canterbury Tales and Chow Soy, two Daves leave Soi Chaiyapoon

ifriendyou

Does anybody know what is coming up at the Canterbury Tales bookshop and (the diagonally opposite) Chow soy restaurant On Spi Chaiyapoon? Both these venues changed hands recently...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tallguy said:

No idea about Canterbury Tales.

Spoke to dave a day or so before his move - he said he expected a bar to open in his old shop.

• Like 3

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

16 hours ago, tallguy said:

I believe Chow Soy will be another sports bar. No idea about Canterbury Tales.

Just heard they are doing up the rooms above Chow Soy... so it is likely to be a bar with rooms for rent then... Also heard they will have a kitchen

Edited by ifriendyou
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I saw in a pattaya video that the new sports bar has opened where Chow Soy was... It is called Dinky's... Anybody been there yet? Is the owner/manager a boardie here?

22 hours ago, ifriendyou said:

I saw in a pattaya video that the new sports bar has opened where Chow Soy was... It is called Dinky's... Anybody been there yet? Is the owner/manager a boardie here?

ok. i took 1 for the team. went there for a couple of Leos. 2 partners, 1 scottish...........richard.............1 northern irish............darren. the 6 rooms above (which i saw maybe 10 years ago and they are big ) have been completely refurbished as has the bar/restaurant. 1 of the staff was GF with a uk mate of mine for maybe 12 years so as unlikely as it sounds to BM's who know i squeak while walking bought her 2 LD's (140 bht each. leo was 55 but that could have been a happy hour price i forgot to check. i gave richard the board details and that it may help so it's up to him

4 hours ago, striderman said:

ok. i took 1 for the team. went there for a couple of Leos. 2 partners, 1 scottish...........richard.............1 northern irish............darren. the 6 rooms above (which i saw maybe 10 years ago and they are big ) have been completely refurbished as has the bar/restaurant. 1 of the staff was GF with a uk mate of mine for maybe 12 years so as unlikely as it sounds to BM's who know i squeak while walking bought her 2 LD's (140 bht each. leo was 55 but that could have been a happy hour price i forgot to check. i gave richard the board details and that it may help so it's up to him

Thank you Striderman! I have reached out to Richard for a room for my December trip. Waiting for a response. Don't think they are on social media yet...

On 13/10/2022 at 19:46, direct_voyage said:

Heard about that here on the board.

I can only think that Canterbury's lease was up and the landlord wanted way too much to renew.

I used the book store many times while in Patts but I wouldn't think they can't get anywhere near the same foot traffic on Bongkot.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

41 minutes ago, sulu said:

Heard about that here on the board.

I can only think that Canterbury's lease was up and the landlord wanted way too much to renew.

I used the book store many times while in Patts but I wouldn't think they can't get anywhere near the same foot traffic on Bongkot.

Yes seems a very strange location..

32 minutes ago, thainet said:

At least it has stopped the Canterbury patrons timing how long the visitors to (the then) Amons each took in the rooms...

So if I keep walking past Babylon or Nadias kitchen it is not far past there?

image.png

New location, 11 minutes by walk from the old location. This was posted by Dave elsewhere...

Canerbury.png

Edited by ifriendyou

313910880_3345237279079061_1244360110022328987_n.jpg

313099323_5906855076071075_5226772410585225058_n.jpg

301706802_597978281820640_3643362961671304979_n.jpg.a88d0c7a0911ed8aeace80cf80458df0.jpg

307347224_817577113027139_3085637545812882957_n.jpg

308368635_842655220444529_7795405358929570936_n.jpg

307829827_873909856868665_1180265657510929207_n.jpg

305486381_460076862829837_7636479838311000634_n.jpg

305069712_1164846290795531_3181798122209391152_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

On 16/11/2022 at 01:37, Barhop said:

At least it has stopped the Canterbury patrons timing how long the visitors to (the then) Amons each took in the rooms...

I'm not timing anyone,,,,,,, but I do like to peruse the talent before I decide whether or not to partake. :High5:

But seeing that map, nope, not going.

If I do happen to go to any of the GCs in that area I might try to remember about the place if I'm wanting to find a book, but otherwise, nope.

Edited by sulu

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

I wouldn't mind taking the walk during the day for something to do. However, I read somewhere else the stray dogs on Bonkot have become a problem post Covid. So, Maybe not the best place for a stroll.

On 21/11/2022 at 05:12, SlowlyMan said:

I wouldn't mind taking the walk during the day for something to do. However, I read somewhere else the stray dogs on Bonkot have become a problem post Covid. So, Maybe not the best place for a stroll.

I took that walk today, my first time in the new location.  Didn’t see any dogs, but that soi is not a pleasant walk, with no footpaths and Thais driving motorbikes.  More like 20-25 minutes walk from the former location.

Anyway, the new venue is a nice upgrade.  Bigger, better lighting, more seating, huge toilets, cleaner air, more shelving so a better display of the books, easier to browse.  I found three interesting books that might have been hidden under book dust on Pothole.  

Felt a bit guilty at returning nine books, only three from Canterbury.  Asia Books has been going strong in my politics&history interests, so I had some new titles to offer in trade.  As usual, all were accepted with fair credit;  not always the case in Bangkok’s used bookshops.  My guilt increased when the cashier checked out my three books and gave me a new credit slip for 80 baht.  

Canterbury is a lovely resource for an old book addict like me.  No Kindle here.  I think they stayed open all during the worst of the Covid shutdowns, one of very few “non-essential” businesses to do so.  The outside table was always open for socializing.  A sign reminded “ No doom and gloom”.

On 16/11/2022 at 13:02, thainet said:

If you by book on impulse between happy endings it might be but it's only a mere 10 minute walk from the Poon and won't call one of the, likely, coming areas in Pattaya a "strange location"

Went by Canterbury today and really a great shop Daveo got in what I'll say is the perfect location 

• 2 months later...