IGNORED

Holiday Inn Silom Road

Luv2Phuket

Has anyone stayed there recently? If so, any thoughts on it?

I have a late night arrival (land around midnight) and was looking for a cheap "hotel points" option for my first night, as my "plan" is to just sleep and try to get on "Thailand time." I'll switch to my preferred (i.e., swanky 5-star joint) the next day, so I do not even plan to unpack much (toiletries and a change of clothes). I don't want to "waste" a free night certificate and/or a bunch of hotel points for a night when I plan to just go straight to bed.

This hotel was a very "cheap" points option (10,000 IHG points), and it appears to be a few hundred meters from Patpong if I DO plan to check out and establishment or two (again, very unlikely). It's also only about 2 km and a straight shot to the hotel where I will move the next day.

Thanks in advance!

I have not stayed at any of these but have recently been exploring IHG options in Bangkok for my upcoming trip. I believe the Holiday Inn Express Sathorn is slightly closer to Patpong and the swanky hotels on Ratchadamri if that’s where you’re heading next. Not a big difference distance wise, but another option and probably for less points. I got a good deal on the HIX Suk Soi 11. Only 5000 points which is the same as the one on Buakhao in Pattaya even though the cash price on Suk Soi 11 was nearly double that on Buakhao. I ended up getting 1.2 cents per point value on that one which is pretty good for IHG points.

I don't know WTF I was looking at on the map that was 300 meters away from the Holidya Inn, but you are right - it is 1.6 km away from Patpong.

You are correct that HI Sathorn is closer (1.2 km), but it's also not all that close.

HI Sathorn is 3,000 point sless, but the Holiday Inn is a better "points value" (.66 cents per point vs .58)

1.2 cents per IHG point is a GREAT value!

14 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I don't know WTF I was looking at on the map that was 300 meters away from the Holidya Inn, but you are right - it is 1.6 km away from Patpong.

You are correct that HI Sathorn is closer (1.2 km), but it's also not all that close.

HI Sathorn is 3,000 point sless, but the Holiday Inn is a better "points value" (.66 cents per point vs .58)

1.2 cents per IHG point is a GREAT value!

If you are just looking at saving points and a nice bed why wouldn't you just take the cheapest option in the area you are looking?...regardless if it is .08 cents lesser value....you are still saving 3000 pts.

IMO I only take the "points value" into account if I am comparing hotels costing the same (or very close) points...3K is not a lot in total but a very large % savings.  

After their most recent points revision...I almost always stay at Aloft because it is still free breakfast...and very nice rooms...for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost (in points) of the other Marriotts along Sukhumvit...that used to be similar in price...but I digress

Interesting....you got me thinking about value per point.

As far as Holiday Inn properties go (HI Express Suk Soi 11 is unavailable with points the night I need it), the Holiday Inn on Phloen Chit is a MUCH better value play - 18,000 points, but I would be getting over .7 cents each in value.

It's also right around the corner from my "upgraded" property - only 400 m on foot....but 3 km by car! 555

I often stay in that area - it is across the street from the Grand Hyatt Erawan and very close to Central World.

That got me thinking of other "value" plays...

Courtyard is 15,000 Bonvoy points or a retrun of .75/point. With Bonvoy points generally considered worth .7, that's a positive return.

The real value may lie in the Grand Hyatt Erawan itself - 8,000 Hyatt points (which Points Guy values at 1.7 cents each), which are netting mew 2.89 cents each at the $231 Member rate.

PLUS, it is literally next door to the Waldorf, where I plan to stay the next 2 nights.

I've got some thinkin' to do, but safe to say the Holiday Inn Silom looks to be out at this juncture....

23 minutes ago, The Danimal said:

If you are just looking at saving points and a nice bed why wouldn't you just take the cheapest option in the area you are looking?...regardless if it is .08 cents lesser value....you are still saving 3000 pts.

IMO I only take the "points value" into account if I am comparing hotels costing the same (or very close) points...3K is not a lot in total but a very large % savings.  

After their most recent points revision...I almost always stay at Aloft because it is still free breakfast...and very nice rooms...for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost (in points) of the other Marriotts along Sukhumvit...that used to be similar in price...but I digress

Good points, but I am sitting on a pretty big stack of IHG points, so the couple of thousand points isn't going to make a big difference.

Conversely, my Hyatt points are a lot lower, but it take so much less for a good property (like 8,000 for the Grand Hyatt).

Where this all got fucked up was my "plan" was to use 2 expiring free night certs at Waldorf on Friday and Saturday night....but it's not available then. It is on Wednesday and Thursday. No way I'm dropping 80,000 Hilton points or a free night certificate on a night when I am rolling in around 1 a.m., so I need to find an alternative for Tuesday night.

You make a very good point, though, and the difficulty of getting from HI Phloen Chit to Walldorf + extra points may bounce it.

I may be missing the forest for the trees -- just gotta be sure I get at least .55 cents for IHG, .7 for Bonvoy and/or 1.7 for Hyatt.

....hmmmm...maybe the TGs are right - I think too mutt! 555

• Haha 1

• Luv2Phuket changed the title to Holiday Inn Silom Road

They are right, you think too mutt 555. If you just want a place to crash, stay at the Holiday Inn Express Siam for 9K points or Sathorn for 7K and be done with it. If you think you might want to go out, stay at the HI Suk Soi 22 for 12K.

Edited by bgtp

3 minutes ago, bgtp said:

They are right, you think too mutt 555. If you just want a place to crash, stay at the Holiday Inn Express Siam for 9K points and be done with it. If you think you might want to go out, stay at the HI Suk Soi 22 for 12K.

I think you have hit the winner!

I have never been to the massage shops on Suk 22, because I am an idiot who can't find his away around Bangkok to save his life! 555  I was just looking at this property on a map, and it appears to be surrounded by them!

What time do those massage joints open and close?

Assuming they are open late enough, I could see checking them out, even if I don't partake - just wander and look.

If they open early enough, that could be a nice way to start my day.

49 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I think you have hit the winner!

I have never been to the massage shops on Suk 22, because I am an idiot who can't find his away around Bangkok to save his life! 555  I was just looking at this property on a map, and it appears to be surrounded by them!

What time do those massage joints open and close?

Assuming they are open late enough, I could see checking them out, even if I don't partake - just wander and look.

If they open early enough, that could be a nice way to start my day.

I have no idea how things are now since it’s been 3 years since my last visit. The naughtier shops were in the alleys on the left side if you’re walking down Soi 22 from Sukhumvit. Other good massage shops were on Sois 24, 24/1 and 33. I threw that hotel location out as a suggestion as there will be some bars open in the area late and you could always walk to Cowboy, Thermae, etc. or even a quick cab to Soi 4 if you wanted.

The area around Sois 20-22 has always been one of my favorite locations. I stayed on Soi 22 for six months one year. Sadly my favorite hotel which was on Soi 20 didn’t survive COVID.

• Like 2

Soi 23 also has decent massage places...

I avoid Erawan now since the one time I stayed at The Renaissance ...they bombed the Shrine about 5 minutes after I got to the BTS and I couldn't get back to the area for some time...then saw myself on BBC when I got back in the room...lone foreigner wandering back to hotel after the incident....again...I digress.

If you are planning to hang out or what not...that changes things...but I stand by my "if for one nght and you are staying in...100% use the least amount of points"....for other stays where freebies/lounges/location/amenities/etc. mean something...then I can understand analyzing the PPV...not in this case.  Remeber that taxis are cheap and at the time you would be going out that one night...might be 100 to Suk and 150 back...still very cheap if that's your perogative!

....best laid plans of mice and men....

Thanks for the input guys!

After ALL of that back and forth, I couldn't get the Waldorf Astoria BKK on points for the nights I wanted, which set me up to stay in 5 different hotels over 14-night period.....uuuuhhhh, FUCK THAT!

I'm just gonna book 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency (also fucked up there and upgrade to suite no longer available using points), including the late night arrival. After that, I'm heading to Pattaya, using 1 free night certificate at Hilton, then 5 nights on points; then moving to Intercontinental for my last 4 nights (a BOGO and 2 free night certs).

I will use the other free night certificate that I planned to use at Waldorf in BKK for a stay before a hearing in LA. Still have 2 certs good through next June, so there is always next year to check it out.

I'm keeping these Holiday Inns in mind for future trips, though!

EDIT:

As Lee Corso like to say on College GameDay.....NOT SO FAST!

Fuck me! Hyatt Regency only has TWIN beds on the late night I arrive - a fucking TUESDAY! Now I'm glad I kept that Holiday Inn Suk 22 reservation for my late night arrival.

I'll take the opportunity to snoop around a little and check out that area, then move a few BTS stops down to Hyatt Regency the next day.

Back up to 4 hotels in 14 nights! 555

• Haha 2