IGNORED

Fastest internet access in a Pattaya hotel?

The Blue-Eyed Sheikh

On my Pattaya trips, I almost always stay at the Page 10; last trip I tried the Adelphi. I’d happily stay at either again. 

For my upcoming trip, however, I am going to have to do a little bit (<4 hr/day) of remote work in order to stay as long as I would like to. Probably 1-2 videoconferences per day, plus reading/writing large-ish files over a VPN. 

Given this, what hotels are a) set up with reasonably zippy net access (either CAT-5 or WiFi) and b) are multiple-guest friendly? Note that the hotels mentioned above could fall into that category - it’s just that I never had to stress-test their networks. 

(Almost) any input would be welcome, however suggestions to use cellular access will be entirely ignored.

TB-ES

1 hour ago, Farangkie said:

Can I suggest that you use cellular access.

Indeed, we will probably both be ignored now !

A hotel can have the fastest package available, it depends upon how many users are using it at any one time. Thus it can go slow.

A decent cellphone package can do VPN and video-conferences with no problem, when you hotspot it.

Large files also not a problem.

Thailand has the fastest average internet speed in the world. This will not help you if there are many users on one node.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@GorGuy  .....please note what the OP said, we will be "completely ignored"

Edited by Farangkie

3 hours ago, The Blue-Eyed Sheikh said:

On my Pattaya trips, I almost always stay at the Page 10; last trip I tried the Adelphi. I’d happily stay at either again. 

For my upcoming trip, however, I am going to have to do a little bit (<4 hr/day) of remote work in order to stay as long as I would like to. Probably 1-2 videoconferences per day, plus reading/writing large-ish files over a VPN. 

Given this, what hotels are a) set up with reasonably zippy net access (either CAT-5 or WiFi) and b) are multiple-guest friendly? Note that the hotels mentioned above could fall into that category - it’s just that I never had to stress-test their networks. 

(Almost) any input would be welcome, however suggestions to use cellular access will be entirely ignored.

TB-ES

Have you considered renting a condo? Many have private internet connections and you can usually plug an ethernet  cable in the router/access point. 

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

16 hours ago, The Blue-Eyed Sheikh said:

Note that the hotels mentioned above could fall into that category - it’s just that I never had to stress-test their networks. 

Currently at Adelphi and earlier in the month at Page 10. Neither offers sufficient connectivity to seamlessly do Zoom/Teams video. Page 10 has placards saying only for email, not for streaming. Adelphi's capture page is intrusive and interrupts almost as badly as Windows Update.

Five Pattaya hotels in the past 6-weeks, all would appear to support video conferences, but the "stress test" is the uplink, i.e. when you are sending video and talking (and ironically when all eyes are on you). None of the hotels could support a stable uplink, so I'm currently rocking a cellular hotspot (AIS) feeding a travel router that has VPN so all my traffic appears to be US based, and circumvents Thai internet blocks.

Fallout feature is any device I connect to the travel router can pull Netfix, Amazon Video etc.

If you're not going cellular, test the stability of your hotel's uplink before any important meetings; I've found it will work for short bursts but any extended time like over 40 seconds of continuous video changes crashes the links. YMMV

OP as someone who worked remotely in pattaya for 6 months last year, rent a condo with private/dedicated internet and the ability to hard wire...    also once on ground get a sim with 5G Hotspot as a backup.   if your work is important do not stay at a hotel with shared internet.

and make sure your host does a speed test for you and send u the photo before booking.

Also u can buy a Cat6 ethernet cable at tukom for around 150b

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 2

Page 10 internet is notoriously slow. it's probably the thing that annoys me the most. 

i can't really recommend another hotel specifically though, sorry. but i can tell you that @Rusty Bullethole does a lot of short trip reports and he always stays in different small hotels, normally slightly out of the way, and always includes screenshots of connection speed tests. so you might check these to get some ideas.
(usual caveat: a single speedtest to speedtest.net doesn't mean exactly that a 2 hour work video call to US servers will work great; but it's still a good sign). 

otherwise: go the route that @HimBadMan recommends. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.