Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Do you give money to beggars ?

JingJoe

On 23/01/2023 at 18:37, Thomaz73 said:

You're a good man. But there's, sadly, more to this. You may inadvertently be supporting some very dark forces. How all this works is not entirely clear to me. The disabled guy on the street I will give a snack or a beer. 

Thanks Thomas for your insights. That sounds to me like the slum dog millionaire movie about Indian beggar’s. Do you or other members really think that is an organisation controlling this with dark forces. If that is true I will be more cautious in future as I not want support this business.

I saw a foreigner give a lady and child a $1 US bill the other day near the Avenue mall oon second road! Have seen many foreign tourists giving out money to beggars lately, usually 20 baht.  Part of the scene here in Pattaya, yet mayor and police said they were going to curb this a year or so ago....

Still see 10 times more beggars than police in town even though they gather for photos outside the police station on Soi 9 every day around 4 pm.  After that never seen again!  Seems none of them can walk a beat, even the tourist police and volunteers sitting at the entrance to Walking Street never seem to move from their chairs.  Such an interesting job they have. 555

Also the newly erected tourist safety canopy with table and chairs for tourist police to help tourists was empty last night on the beach road promenade near Royal Garden...that measure lasted a week or 2!  5555

May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung....and may you stay - Forever Young

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours Bobby Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

No, I don't  give money to beggars.

A tour guide in Vietnam said ... never give money to children,they think than ....I can get money without working and sometimes they become criminals.

Some older people are walking around selling chewing gum or sweets, then I'll buy some from them.

Edited by sonicbluewater

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2023 at 03:12, Arnie85 said:

Took a month or two but they got rid of those fake beggar kids. 

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/02/28/pattaya-police-launch-serious-crackdown-on-street-beggars-14-arrested-including-9-kids/?fbclid=IwAR309SsGAla-XKTEfc55yr20TqqsPXly40sWIhexSS358539JdNbg3x1HtQ

Edited by Arnie85

I gave to two homeless guys in the last year or so. They weren't begging. Oddly, they didn't even acknowledge me - just took the proffered money without hardly looking at me - almost like  they were offended but took it anyway!

A couple of times guys begged food at a small Thai restaurant I eat at every day. I always offer to buy a meal for them when that happens. I've been hungry and even thirsty (for water) in my life. 

• 2 months later...

Some days ago when I stepped out of the central festival mall I was approached by a lady who wore a breathing mask so I could not really see her face but I guess her age was about 45 years. She said I am hungry, please give me some money. I felt sorry for her. So i gave her 20 baht. She said: cant you give me some more. My mother has cancer. I guessed that was a lie so I refused to give her more and I walked away. She called: Do you want to go short time with me? I said no. That was an interesting encounter imo.

I wonder if one should give money to people like her. Thats a tough one. I want to support people who are in need but I dont want to be taken advantage of. Imo one should give a little money to real poor people but one should not support the professional and criminal beggars obviously.

I have a rule if people ask me they get nothing.

I'll give money or buy a meal for someone if they look down on their luck. 

On 17/05/2023 at 10:24, Hobufan1 said:

Some days ago when I stepped out of the central festival mall I was approached by a lady who wore a breathing mask so I could not really see her face but I guess her age was about 45 years. She said I am hungry, please give me some money. I felt sorry for her. So i gave her 20 baht. She said: cant you give me some more. My mother has cancer. I guessed that was a lie so I refused to give her more and I walked away. She called: Do you want to go short time with me? I said no. That was an interesting encounter imo.

I wonder if one should give money to people like her. Thats a tough one. I want to support people who are in need but I dont want to be taken advantage of. Imo one should give a little money to real poor people but one should not support the professional and criminal beggars obviously.

I'm an early bird, so I go for early morning walks in Pattaya. Way before covid, an ugly older lady sitting on the side of the street, asked me for money. I gave her a modest amount and she thanked me profusely. I remember walking away, feeling good about myself. Then it clicked. I should have been offended cos she was probably offering everybody else short time. 🤣

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, 1tooth said:

I'm an early bird, so I go for early morning walks in Pattaya. Way before covid, an ugly older lady sitting on the side of the street, asked me for money. I gave her a modest amount and she thanked me profusely. I remember walking away, feeling good about myself. Then it clicked. I should have been offended cos she was probably offering everybody else short time. 🤣

1tooth, you have got an amazing sense of humour. That is a great talent that you have got there. No kidding. Have you ever considered a career as a comedian? You might be very successful.

I only give to those who need it the most. For example, I gave money to a woman who was begging around 7-11 everyday, her leg looked very bad, I don’t even know how she walks. 

I can't even imagine how she feels sitting all day in the heat with her leg that REALLY needs some medical attention.

4 minutes ago, Hellave said:

I only give to those who need it the most. For example, I gave money to a woman who was begging around 7-11 everyday, her leg looked very bad, I don’t even know how she walks. 

I can't even imagine how she feels sitting all day in the heat with her leg that REALLY needs some medical attention.

If its the same lady with incredible  swollen legs who regullary hang out on Pattay Tai between Wat Chai and soi Buakhao then she speaks surprisingly good English and are a very bright lady. I always say hallo and will often stop and speak to her which we both appreciate and, despite she never ask, she'll have some thb for her time and being the person she is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

If its the same lady with incredible  swollen legs who regullary hang out on Pattay Tai between Wat Chai and soi Buakhao then she speaks surprisingly good English and are a very bright lady. I always say hallo and will often stop and speak to her which we both appreciate and, despite she never ask, she'll have some thb for her time and being the person she is.

Yeah, that's her. Didn't speak to her though. How long has she been there? Last time I saw her in February. Did you ask her why she didn't go to the hospital?

2 hours ago, Hellave said:

Yeah, that's her. Didn't speak to her though. How long has she been there? Last time I saw her in February. Did you ask her why she didn't go to the hospital?

She been around for a good number of years but haven't really noted any significant change of her condition. Haven't ask about her illness and won't unless she start on the subject herself.  Not sure if its appropriate to discuss and nothing I can do anyway so unless she brings up the subject I won't dig into it

On 26/01/2023 at 09:10, Louis1975 said:

Thanks Thomas for your insights. That sounds to me like the slum dog millionaire movie about Indian beggar’s. Do you or other members really think that is an organisation controlling this with dark forces. If that is true I will be more cautious in future as I not want support this business.

I have personally witnessed it.

Cluck-cluck, gibber-gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I never give money to beggars in Thailand (or outside my country).

I spend enough money is Thailand, what the country / people who receive my money do with it is not my business.

Same I don't expect tourists in my country to give money to beggars - as a citizen it's my responsibility to dealt with poverty in my country (by taxes or gifts, or not doing anything).

• 1 month later...

I usually always give something when I see an old man or lady coming up to you whilst eating or having a drink selling stuff that you don't really want or need.

know it can be annoying, being disturbed when eating but I've heard its very hard for old people to get jobs in Thailand and they must be desperate if they're doing a job like this. 

Had a flower girl in Patpong rip out a bunch of hairs from my leg with her fingers because i didn't buy her flowers....,fooking hurt and left a bald spot on my leg  😁

Almost never.  Too many scams around, too many stories about "crippled beggars" walking to their cars after "work".

OTOH, in keeping with my practice of "let Thais deal with Thais", my wife will sometimes, and I don't object.  She knows the scammers from the real deal, at least that's my assumption. 

I prefer to give to charities, especially like bringing groceries and/or toys to an orphanage.  I've done that a few times.  It's greatly appreciated and responded to with effusive gratitude.  This is also a favorite way for Thai chicks to make merit, so if you have a special one in your life, doing this on her birthday will get you extra brownie points.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

Never! I say to them, that if they buy some cheap bubblegum, i will gladly buy some to overprice…then they will still have some self respect…

Edited by lovermand66

I most often give to beggars who look me in the eye.

The smile of thanks amply repays me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2022 at 07:06, sang som mick said:

For quite a few years until  covid stopped my visits , i used to regularly give to the old lady called Mattinee who

used to walk around the LK Metro area .   She never asked for anything , but a lot of the girls used to give her

a little amount . I wonder if she is still around

I used to bung her a 100 Baht a couple of times a week when I was there. I’ve been back on business a couple of times in the last year and haven’t seen her.

Sadly most of these beggars are not the ones that need it the most.  They pretend to get easy money.

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Many times when I've been at open restaurants/street vendors I've seen pleas for food. I've always sat them down got them a menu and OK'd with the vendor that I pick up the bill.

As a philosophical take - the best I've ever encountered - is that if you give with good intentions then you reap the karmic return, if someone takes/coerces with bad intent then they receive the reciprocal karmic response.