IGNORED

Do you give money to beggars ?

JingJoe

2 hours ago, Corrado Soprano said:

On the same subject, i don't give to beggars in my home country.  We're one of the richest countries in the world.  Theres welfare, The Salvation army and other charities which always help out - so if you're a beggar in Australia you're either in the extreme minority who are genuine beggars or simply one which will run to the liquor store or drug dealer for more abuse the moment you rack up enough money to do so.  No good will come of it.

Yes, in Australia we have backups for the homeless but some times they won't got to the shelters provided.  This is for a myriad of reasons.  Some are mentally ill and not capable, some are women who fear their abusive partner will find them at a shelter, some fear the violence that can erupt at these shelters.  And some are just alcos that are begging for their next drink.  That said we do have a better system than many other countries.

As for the ladies in Thailand carrying around children, often in the late hours of night, giving them money as aiding and encouraging child exploitation.  If you buy a bunch of flowers off them the kids doesn't get to sleep, the woman just gets more flowers.

Begbackers......... should be treated with disdain.  They are not financially supporting the country that they are begging in and potential breaking the laws of the country.  I can't even getting to the mind of these people.  Are they proud?, do they think they are smart?, what even made them think this would be a fun way to see the world?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LASportsNut said:

.However, my LLT who became my TGF for a while, jumped my shit for doing it..

She explained the sitiuation and since then I have never done it again.

What did she say ?

I was down by 433 Wall St, the Bixby hotel in LA, last week, and it was a war zone down there. I ended up giving away $20 buck to this homeless lady, about 35, reeking of base, weed and piss.  

• Like 2

I like CIP

6 hours ago, JingJoe said:

What did she say ?

I was down by 433 Wall St, the Bixby hotel in LA, last week, and it was a war zone down there. I ended up giving away $20 buck to this homeless lady, about 35, reeking of base, weed and piss.  

It was very vague due to language but it was obvious that it was not an honarable thing to do. She compared it to feeding stray cats.

I've given 100b to the amputees that used to sit on the corner of WS, my usual was to give to one per night. There isn't much help from the government for these people, and I can spare half the cost of a lady drink for what they can turn into 2-3 meals. I don't ever give to or buy from children or those who are showing children, I see this as exploitation of the child, and I won't support it.

Be careful I have seen those kids selling flowers being beaten by men on bikes and being sent back into night bazaa, not Pattaya but Chiang Rai. 

I watch who the old head Thais help. 

• Like 2

Cluck-cluck, gibber-gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.

Sometimes i do, i believe in karma some way.. i like the idea of karma. Most europeans has been teached in europe that street beggars are scammers with big business around it, but i dont think in Thailand people are using footless, blind or other unlucky people begging money for them. The kids are different story even they are acting so innocent.

I have never gave money to beggars in thailand who came front of my face to beg money or other way around tried too hard. Kids with flowers etc are in this category and are run by others.

I will to Thais (or if I think they are Thai) like the disabled guy who sits on the walkway in front of Tree Town. However, I refuse to give to the foreign e-beggers.

Went for an early morning walk today, during a break in the rain. Reached the beach road area at about 07:15.  There were many genuine homeless people sleeping on the beach or just getting up from a night of slumber outside.  One guy was washing his clothes and hanging them up outside an abandoned shop. There were no grannies with babies or obviously disabled people. Also nobody begging for alms. However, I am certain that these people are genuinely without shelter. If I was going to help, these would be the people I would give money to, not the "beggars" who don't start work until later.

As I walked back in the rain along 2nd road at about 08:25, I saw a small crowd of Thais clustered around an ambulance looking solemn.  As I drew closer, I saw a paramedic with a stretcher laid out on the sidewalk.  The guy was not in a rush and was putting on all his protective gear.  Then I saw the reason for the activity.  An older guy (around 60) was seated slumped in a bamboo chair outside a shop.  His neck was emaciated with extremely pronounced bones, while his stomach was projecting (in the way that you see with malnourished individuals) and his legs were extremely swollen.  Everyone looked grim and resigned.  I assume from the pace of what was going on that there was no hurry and the guy had passed. 

Therefore, there most definitely are people in real need here. Of course, donating to them or not is an individual choice.  If I was going to be supportive, I would make sure I did so at the crack of dawn, before the gangs put their workers on the street.

I think it is like at home, some are "professionnal" beggars ...

Sometimes I give 10 bth or little money when I see a real "pain" like this man with a burn arm

And when I see the BG giving some money too ...

I dont give to association too, as I dont know where the money goes really

Personnaly I prefer to help somebody I know ... and I have a case actually ...

I know better than to donate to beggars. Many are scams and they target touristy areas for a reason. If you want to be a humanitarian, donate to reputable charity organisations.

• Like 3

There use to be a guy on second road, near Mike's Mall. He was on a wheelchair and had both legs missing. He had a motorbike with a side car, with a ramp for his chair, which he used to get around town. I gave money to him.

• Like 1

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

On 14/09/2022 at 19:16, likeaking said:

Usually only to blind or missing a limb(s). The rest can  be a scam.

That's a good guideline, but even they can be scammers.

For me, the alarm bell is anyone begging in a tourist hotspot. A flight attendant I know tells me stories about blind and amputee beggars earning absolute fortunes from begging in tourist areas (we are talking 6 figure western money), despite in some cases having their own paid up or state-paid apartments and in western countries, substantial benefit payments too.

If their true goal was to beg only for enough to live on, they would logically do so in their home village and rely upon the charity and 'gaining face' from wealthier locals and neighbours who know them, rather than begging to complete strangers.

Experts warn that a laptop can seriously damage your sperm....

Although in my experience, not as much as sperm can damage your laptop!

My answers to anyone who tries to panhandle me in a tourist area.....

"Any Change mate?'  "No, I'm still living in the big house with the nice car and fat salary, but thanks for asking"

"Any loose change?"  "No, It's all nice and secure in my wallet, thanks'"

Experts warn that a laptop can seriously damage your sperm....

Although in my experience, not as much as sperm can damage your laptop!

When I was a kid I would regularly give my pocket money to beggars on my way to dentist. It got to the point where a girl I regularly donated to introduced me to a man. It is only now that I realise how close I was to danger, thankfully they were good people and didn't harm me. They did however take my money.

On 15/09/2022 at 05:48, evaldo said:

i give sometimes in cambodia to old people and small kids with parents if they dont beg but look misery,,,,,

I'm even more careful in Cambodia, especially Phnom Penh on the riverside. It's one of greatest scamming areas of them all. Just take a good look at the kids with dyed hair giving you the boo hoo sad face. It's all rehearsed. A lot of them use it to buy coke and candy, than run home after their parents are done selling whatever wherever they are. I heard years ago it was honest with naked kids and mentally challenged people roaming and begging but now they cleaned it up.

Just remember, if they need food there's temples everywhere. They'll feed them. I'm here in Cambodia, Phnom Penh as I type this. The other day, 2 old ladies out of nowhere came up walking to the market trying to sucker another naive foreigner claiming there hungry and want to eat. I told them "temple open there, can go, its good". Their reaction? They look at each other like damn he got us, walking off giggling. 

Just too many scammers amongst the truly needy.

Edited by J0n
  • Like 1

Everything in moderation.....

At home i never give any cent to beggar, but in Thaialnd there is so many young mom in the streets with their kids. It's tough to not drop them a few coin in their bucket. It may be out of subject, but each time i read things like 'Thailand is the best country in the world!' and stuff like it ... it may be a very good place for sex, but in my opinion no country with kids who live in street can be named a good place to live and not even close to be best at something.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2022 at 04:24, J0n said:

Just remember, if they need food there's temples everywhere. They'll feed them. 

Just too many scammers amongst the truly needy.

I used to know a guy out in the provinces he had a bit of a drinking problem. When he felt the need he would go to the temple and sober up. They would give him a job, food, robes and a place to sleep. 

I'm not convinced giving change to beggars really helps anyone. I would rather give to an organization and yeah I know there can be issues there as well. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

last visit was 3 years ago,  girl with a baby walking round the bar begging.  Gave her 200 baht,   10 mins later shes back asking for more,  no chance!!!

I refuse to give to the ones that sit at roadside with a plastic cup in their hand, more often than not they are fit and well, I will give to those who I feel are genuine down n outs. There are a few genuine disabled people going round selling lottery, when I do buy lottery I tend to buy from those people, at least they are trying!

i used to give when i first came to pattaya 20+ years ago but now i see they're the same people doing the same thing  so it's obviously more lucrative for them than trying to work any job

however, there's 2 beggars i really dislike out of that lot:

1 - the boy with his mask on around soi buakhao always doing some hand to mouth action, presumably begging for money for food and looks about 20 odd

2 - not sure if it's the same guy or several of them walking around waving his handless wrist in your face while you're drinking like it's his party trick (he even smiles while doing it)

11 hours ago, lionking said:

1 - the boy with his mask on around soi buakhao always doing some hand to mouth action, presumably begging for money for food and looks about 20 odd

Is this 20ish very skinny?  If so, I had given him small donation one afternoon, not long after first arrival in three years.  Next day, recognised me as a chump and really laid the begging on...  Had a bag of cut watermelon in front of me so offered him...  Got big shakes of head - wanted money only!!!  Well fuck him - and told him so loudly - skinny as a rake and did not want free food - only money...  He did not bother me again after my outburst, which was good, because I was around for another two months...

4 hours ago, Barhop said:

Is this 20ish very skinny?  If so, I had given him small donation one afternoon, not long after first arrival in three years.  Next day, recognised me as a chump and really laid the begging on...  Had a bag of cut watermelon in front of me so offered him...  Got big shakes of head - wanted money only!!!  Well fuck him - and told him so loudly - skinny as a rake and did not want free food - only money...  He did not bother me again after my outburst, which was good, because I was around for another two months...

Any sign of weakness and they smell the blood...you did well. Except the first donation of couse.