IGNORED

Do you give money to beggars ?

JingJoe

12 minutes ago, JingJoe said:

Im talking TGs with a baby on the arm, homeless TGs, old folks, drunks etc ( all Thai of course ) ?

Lot working the circuit in Pat's are Cambodian.

Why would one give to a Drunk ?

Most Homeless I see are asleep under their awning, seems a shame to wake them to give 29 Baht.

Many old folks work in shops.

So no I don't 

Charity for me starts at home.

I do however give lots and lots to Bars, and the Ladys of Pat's 

35 minutes ago, JingJoe said:

Im talking TGs with a baby on the arm, homeless TGs, old folks, drunks etc ( all Thai of course ) ?

You need to start walking or frequenting alternative routes and locations, that's far too much misery for a holiday, and an unacceptable blight on the vibe! Try to confine yourself to happier environments, then you need not conern yourself with such matters. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Usually only to blind or missing a limb(s). The rest can  be a scam.

• Like 3

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Back in UK, when I was a young lad, I was waiting at the bus stop. There was a beggar and he asked me for any change. In my wallet I had £10 note, exact change for my bus fare and a few bits of shrapnel, 2p's, 1p's, 5p's, 10p's. It amounted to about 32p.

Obviously I wasnt going to give him a tenner. Obviously I wanted to catch the bus I was waiting for.

I handed him the copper shrapnel.

He scoffed, swore and threw it back at me.

I have never, ever given shit to a beggar ever since.

Edited by davetherave3311

21 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

Years ago I was told by an old hag from Pulse that most are Cambodians, babies often not their own and its a mafia operation. 

If you want to help the locals in need better give your money to the charity organisation in Pattaya

not all of them are mafia. it's true that some them are but at the same time you can see whole families sleeping in the street.

charities are the worst. they pay themself first then donate the rest. i believe 80% goes to the charity staff and 20% to the people in need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just watch what the locals do, I notice they donate a hand  full of 1B or a 5B and that is it. I just follow that.

Of course a grandma sitting with a baby is a scam as is all the children running around asking for donations.

• Like 3

i give sometimes in cambodia to old people and small kids with parents if they dont beg but look misery,,,,,

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

I saw those little kids in Treetown late at night and was kinda shocked. Who has a little girl of 5 years running around at midnight trying to sell flowers.

I used to walk on the main Pattays beach road early .. 6 / 7 in the morning. Best time of the day. Too hot later.

Always there were people who had obviously spent the night sleeping on the beach. Many still sleeping. I am refering to Covid 19 time onward.

I cant imagine any way they were not for real,  in contrast to those begging with a child for example.

I gave to some. No way they were not genuine down on their luck sleeping on the beach (or in doorways when raining).

The slight problem was you were asked for money every time you subsequently passed them. Not a big problem. Just touched at my emotions. I wanted to not see the hardship I guess. Spoilt my walk to be directly asked.

I ended up giving to just one lady on a regular basis.  Only 1000 baht roughly every 3 weeks. One time I gave her money and she said she was grateful as she had no money for a shower.  Cost her 50 baht she said.

She never actually asked me or anyone for money. Some might recognise her as the one who drew pictures a lot. Well they could be classed as doodles I guess. Not tooooooo good.

Something that amused me .. The only time she asked me for anything was when she told me she wanted a black umbrella. No idea why she stipulated black. I had spare umbrellas left over from family visits so gave her one of them. 

A few days later I passed her .. (she usually did not look up .. just stared ahead at the sea or be drawing) and I saw she had 7 black umbrellas !

Basically I am trying to say .. umbrella apart she never asked anyone for anything and did not even look at passers by. That is why I gave ....

She probably still there but I am moved away now.

Edited by Wingeing Pom

11 hours ago, JingJoe said:

Seen 2 beggars young kids , a boy and a girl about 10 being driven by a thai man on a nice motorbike from tree town to Soi 6. Thai man then disappear and pick them up later to drive them in an other tourist location.

Yes, a lot of it is a business.

Edited by KhunChang

10 hours ago, Cuckold said:

charities are the worst. they pay themself first then donate the rest. i believe 80% goes to the charity staff and 20% to the people in need.

Show me you source and I'll show one of mine https://www.fr-ray.org/

• Like 2

I see on YouTube that there is still several women with children -and even babies along Sukhumvit in BKK. I might donate beer change there. I have in the past. So yes, I donate to those groups. I feel bad when I see this. I want to help just nit noi.

I feel like that if you reward begging with small children by giving more money, this only provides an incentive for further exploitation of children.

14 hours ago, Kandinski said:

Years ago I was told by an old hag from Pulse that most are Cambodians, babies often not their own and its a mafia operation. 

Yep.  Most are Cambodians and not even Thai.  Even the deformed, which is quite sad when you think about it but reality check: the world is a pretty dark place.  Its just the way it is.

I give them food instead.  They need water begging in the hot sun and at least they would eat the food and drink the water i buy them rather than collect money and a huge % paid to the mafia who operate them.

Thats just the reality of the situation.

On the same subject, i don't give to beggars in my home country.  We're one of the richest countries in the world.  Theres welfare, The Salvation army and other charities which always help out - so if you're a beggar in Australia you're either in the extreme minority who are genuine beggars or simply one which will run to the liquor store or drug dealer for more abuse the moment you rack up enough money to do so.  No good will come of it.

2 hours ago, Asiandestination said:

I feel like that if you reward begging with small children by giving more money, this only provides an incentive for further exploitation of children.

You are probably right. However, it still hurts seeing it. I will probably keep on giving 5-10-50-100Bs

• Like 2

I always used to give just 20 baht to the burnt up guy on the wooden stool with wheels, he was always opposite and just a little further to the East of Bamboo bar (grab a granny) prior to Covid.

Back in the early 1990s, I was living in Surrey, answered the door bell to an Asian lady in Indian style garb with a baby and holding her hand out. I locked the front door behind me and stormed out asking "where is he" No sign of the fucker and she was legging it down a local alley way. I phone the police who initially weren't interested but as soon as I suggested that I had witnessed potential child abuse, a car was outside my door within minutes.  Sadly no follow up but there certainly wasn't a repeat.

People say to me "Pattaya is like Sodom and Gomera"

I say "it's not at all like that"

"Sodom and Gomera were mere prototypes, whereas Pattaya......"

1 hour ago, Cuckold said:

https://www.erieri.com/blog/post/top-10-highest-paid-ceos-at-nonprofits-2021

i don't know but i feel like 15 million a year is a bit much for a nonprofit

Non profit and charity cant be compered but agree begging in the US is quite profitable. 

https://www.zippia.com/answers/what-is-the-salary-of-the-ceo-of-the-salvation-army/

Edited by Kandinski
Link added
  • Like 2

One time in Bangkok I gave money someone on the sidewalk.

I felt it was the honorable thing to do.

However, my LLT who became my TGF for a while, jumped my shit for doing it..

She explained the sitiuation and since then I have never done it again.

• Like 3

For quite a few years until  covid stopped my visits , i used to regularly give to the old lady called Mattinee who

used to walk around the LK Metro area .   She never asked for anything , but a lot of the girls used to give her

a little amount . I wonder if she is still around