IGNORED

Visa on arrival scam

darpra

Hi,

I usually take VOA from the airport. This time there was literally no one in the VOA queue and I was the first to fill the form. One lady officer stopped me to verify my documents and said 2200B for visa and took my passport and the documents and went in and came back with the visa stamped and a receipt for 2000B. When I came out 2-3 immigration officers were directing everyone like that to the express visa counter the same way. The regular VOA counters had officers but no one was going in there since these officers were blocking them and directing them to the express counter. I feel they are just collecting these money themselves and not providing receipt for it. I just stumbled across one youtube video as well mentioning the same story.

Since its just 200B didn't bother at that time. But you can imagine the amount of money these officers make from this on a daily basis.

5 minutes ago, bobbyg said:

Isnt VOA free for 30 days? Bit confused here?

Some countries, including the U.K., get VISA EXEMPT entry for 30 days (just increased to 45). You do not get a Visa on Arrival you are allowed in without a visa and just get an entry stamp in your passport.

Other countries, eg India, have to get a Visa when they get to the airport and pay for it. This is a Visa on Arrival and there’s a separate desk before immigration.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

It's a bit shocking really. They've done a lot to attract more visitors from India. And then subject them to this kind of bullshit on arrival. And this is far from the first recent report of such things. 

Anyway, welcome! And I'm certain you'll have an enjoyable stay.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png