IGNORED

Favourite ice cream in Pattaya?

hggcraig

Usually go to Swensons as very popular in Thailand and reasonably priced for what you get. Also tried Bud Ice cream which was v nice too…was yrs ago….don’t know if still there as think was in Central Mall.

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

1 hour ago, burgher said:

I enjoy a Magnum ice cream bar that you can get at any 7/11

I did too until those aholes quit making the gold (caramel) version.  

I am also seriously pissed at ete...they stopped making the mangsteen bar and salak popsicle...probably saves me about 3-4 kilos a trip though!

On 04/09/2022 at 18:16, TNTucker said:

Nothing beats the street vendor made coconut icecream.  Gotta know where they position their motorbike and get in quick as they often sell out early.  

Not too sweet either as I recall.  I always keep my eyes open for that bike.

Edited by Kale
  • Like 2

Swenson's IMO is not about "ice cream" .... it is about "ice cream creations".  The ice cream itself isn't incredible but they are known for all the special bowls, and mixes, and sundaes, etc.  Plus, for many years here in Pattaya, when Swenson's was located above Pizza Co, at Royal -- they used to run amazing specials on one or two items every week.

Dairy Queen has a double chocolate blizzard that is pretty good, which chocolate chips and brownie chips, I believe.

Outside the 2nd road entrance of Central Festival is a softserve ice cream stand with Vanila, Chocolate, and Strawberry softserve ice cream.  My wife doesn't think the chocolate has a strong enough flavor, but I think it is excellent and splurge often.  The only warning is watch the booth for a few minutes, and if they are serving 3 or 4 ahead of you, don't buy -- as the ice cream will be too soft and melt within seconds.  Learned my lesson ... 

Magnum ice cream bars used to have a chocolate with chocolate inside ice cream bar, but they discontinued it.  The replacement is Haagen Daz, and the only place I have noticed it is at Villa.

Some street vendors have a coconut ice cream that is also amazing.

• Like 2

On 05/09/2022 at 02:39, funky310 said:

For an excellent homemade style ice cream in a sit-down environment, try Jasmin's Cafe on Central Road, only 100m from Beach Road. Their Coconut Ice Cream with Mango is to die for !! They also do one of the best Mango/Sticky Rice I have had in Pattaya.

Jasmine's is one of my favorite restaurants in Pattaya/Jomtien. And number 1 for me for breakfast. Always excellent friendly service.

• Like 3

I'm no ice cream expert but I don't think you can compare something like Swensons to Dairy Queen.  If it doesn't specifically say "ice cream" it's not.  I think Dairy Queen uses ice milk.  They use different words to get around it while still avoiding calling it "ice cream".  McD does the same thing.  It still has lots of sugar so even if it's lower fat (?) I don't think it's any better for you.

I've had more than my share of Swensen's, but, IMHO, Cold Stone is better. 

For those who have spent time in the Lone Star State, my bellwether for ice cream remains Amy's ice cream. My "go to" order is Mexican vanilla with strawberries and graham crackers crushed into it. Damn that's good stuff!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I've had more than my share of Swensen's, but, IMHO, Cold Stone is better. 

For those who have spent time in the Lone Star State, my bellwether for ice cream remains Amy's ice cream. My "go to" order is Mexican vanilla with strawberries and graham crackers crushed into it. Damn that's good stuff!

Ah Mr. Moderator sir? Ummm, the title of this thread is what? 🙂

• 5 weeks later...

The banana splits at Swensons are pretty tasty. Are there any real malts here? All I see are shakes. A chocolate malt from Dairy Queen back home always hit the spot on a hot summer day.