IGNORED

Thai AirAsia To Melbourne

Bawdy

Just heard that Thai AirAsia will start flying directly to Melbourne in December, another bonus is that they will be flying out of BKK instead of DMK, more options for Melbourne based mongers.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

Another advantage is that they will be flying into Tullamarine and not Avalon as AirAsia were doing previously. 

• Like 2

On 30/08/2022 at 12:32, Bawdy said:

Just heard that Thai AirAsia will start flying directly to Melbourne in December, another bonus is that they will be flying out of BKK instead of DMK, more options for Melbourne based mongers.

All the same to me, BKK or DMK: I usually spend two or three days in Bangkok at the start of my trip (dentist checkup now overdue). Believe Skytrain is now running from DMK into the city.

Planning next trip for January/February. Tracking ThaiAir prices; somewhere I've read that they will soon publish fares for Oz post-Christmas/New Year season.

Will check Thai AirAsia too inc price to upgrade to Premium class.

Thanks for the tip.

Be nice if they opened up BNE again :)

• Like 2

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

52 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

Believe Skytrain is now running from DMK into the city.

Yes - The Dark Red Line

See 

Cheers for the heads up.  Coincidentally i booked my flights this week to the land of smiles for the duration of the WC.  Nov - mid Dec.

The cheapest direct flights i could get are with Jetstar.  I wouldn't fly with anyone else.  Qantas & Thai do direct but a lot more expensive.

Got a return flight for $1,500 which i thought was reasonable given its the start of peak season.

Some people say you can get cheaper with other carriers if you do stopovers.  Not interested in that crap.  Laying over a country to save $200.  I'm middle aged and have enough money i can absorb 200 bucks in a holiday.  Did it once or twice and CBF doing that any longer.  Direct or nothing.

• Like 2

I booked AA from Syd rtn for just over 600 carry on & no extras. I get wheel chair service (NC) so they tend to allocate me good seats if there are any available end jan - march

Edited by Ah dinnae ken

www.sugarcanemafia.com

4 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

All the same to me, BKK or DMK: I usually spend two or three days in Bangkok at the start of my trip (dentist checkup now overdue). Believe Skytrain is now running from DMK into the city.

Planning next trip for January/February. Tracking ThaiAir prices; somewhere I've read that they will soon publish fares for Oz post-Christmas/New Year season.

Will check Thai AirAsia too inc price to upgrade to Premium class.

Thanks for the tip.

One way early next year is $299. For those going straight to Pattaya, BKK is more convenient and closer, DMK is the opposite side of the city and you have to traverse Bangkok and contend with its traffic, I nearly missed my flight from DMK when I took a taxi from Pattaya once.

4 hours ago, Corrado Soprano said:

The cheapest direct flights i could get are with Jetstar.  I wouldn't fly with anyone else.  Qantas & Thai do direct but a lot more expensive.

Got a return flight for $1,500 which i thought was reasonable given its the start of peak season.

Some people say you can get cheaper with other carriers if you do stopovers. 

I live in Melbourne (MEL) like you and have been to Thailand, and beyond, many times.

>The cheapest direct flights i could get are with Jetstar.  I wouldn't fly with anyone else. 

>Got a return flight for $1,500 which i thought was reasonable given its the start of peak season.

Assume your $1500 is Jetstar Premium class.

The problem I have with Jetstar is poor timekeeping, once 3-4 hours late departure from MEL, and one hour late from BKK on return.

Once I flew AirAsia Premium MEL-Kuala Lumpur, fine. hotel overnight near KL airport and AirAsia next morning to UTP (Pattaya/Rayong).

Also flown Scoot Premium MEL-Singapore, excellent. Then less than 2 hours to BKK.

>Qantas & Thai do direct but a lot more expensive.

With Qantas you have to change at Sydney or at Singapore. Will they start MEL-BKK direct?

ThaiAir - I am tracking for Feb 2023. Currently Economy is $A1158 return (~28,000 bahts). But I am hoping for a drop for mid-Jan/Feb to be announced later this year. Pre-Covid the fare was $A750 - 800.

10 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

The problem I have with Jetstar is poor timekeeping, once 3-4 hours late departure from MEL, and one hour late from BKK on return.

My flights in May were delayed also. The ground handling company used by JetStar is overstretched and understaffed, I see them leave Jetstar and Qantas flights on the bay unattended for quite sometime.

I heard this week that the company I work for will replace them, unfortunately I don't think we will do much better, we suffer the same problems. 

• Sad 1

Are Air Asia still keeping people's money if they cancel the flight  ?

They cancelled my flight in Dec 2020 & promised to refund it, its now Sept 2022 & they still have my money

I've stopped using them now as a result of them doing this

6 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

I live in Melbourne (MEL) like you and have been to Thailand, and beyond, many times.

Assume your $1500 is Jetstar Premium class.

Once I flew AirAsia Premium MEL-Kuala Lumpur, fine. hotel overnight near KL airport and AirAsia next morning to UTP (Pattaya/Rayong).

Also flown Scoot Premium MEL-Singapore, excellent. Then less than 2 hours to BKK.

>Qantas & Thai do direct but a lot more expensive.

With Qantas you have to change at Sydney or at Singapore. Will they start MEL-BKK direct?

ThaiAir - I am tracking for Feb 2023. Currently Economy is $A1158 return (~28,000 bahts). But I am hoping for a drop for mid-Jan/Feb to be announced later this year. Pre-Covid the fare was $A750 - 800.

Nah, $1500 was not premium.  Just with baggage + carry on, which IMHO should be bloody standard anyway.  Who's going to Thailand or asia for a month without baggage?  They're mad by not offering it in a standard price.

Their record keeping is shocking and many times it gets delayed.  Philippine airlines is worse though.  If its delayed by an hour or so, its not too bad.

I can't do stopovers anymore to save money.  The money you save is bugger all.  Its different if the money you save is half the airline ticket, but its not so i won't do it.

6 minutes ago, Corrado Soprano said:

Who's going to Thailand or asia for a month without baggage? 

Me for one. Laundries are efficent & cheap. Wear long pants & jacket on plane. Never had a hassle about seperate laptop bag.

www.sugarcanemafia.com

2 minutes ago, Ah dinnae ken said:

Me for one. Laundries are efficent & cheap. Wear long pants & jacket on plane. Never had a hassle about seperate laptop bag.

Lucky you.  I can't do that  LOL  

40 minutes ago, Corrado Soprano said:

Just with baggage + carry on, which IMHO should be bloody standard anyway.

$1500 for Air Asia and Thai Airways was more expensive??

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

22 hours ago, Corrado Soprano said:

i booked my flights this week to the land of smiles ... Nov - mid Dec.

The cheapest direct flights i could get are with Jetstar.  I wouldn't fly with anyone else. Thai do direct but a lot more expensive.

$A1500 (~37,000 bahts) seemed high to me so today I checked online:

Best price I could find was depart Melbourne to BKK  17 November and return December 17

JQ.png
Jetstar
2:40 PM
9:25 PM
7:50 PM
10:25 AM(12-18)
9h 10m
9h 0m
MEL to BKK
BKK to MEL

A$737
JQ.png
Jetstar

$A737 (~18,000 Bahts) is less than half the $A1500 (~37,000 bahts) that you paid on budget carrier Jetstar.

Same week ThaiAir, full service carrier,, is shown as $A970 (~24,000 bahts) for return.

10 hours ago, SteveX08 said:

$1500 for Air Asia and Thai Airways was more expensive??

Air asia wasn't available direct.  Thai was more expensive.

11 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:
$A1500 (~37,000 bahts) seemed high to me so today I checked online:

Best price I could find was depart Melbourne to BKK  17 November and return December 17

JQ.png
Jetstar
2:40 PM
9:25 PM
7:50 PM
10:25 AM(12-18)
9h 10m
9h 0m
MEL to BKK
BKK to MEL

A$737
JQ.png
Jetstar

$A737 (~18,000 Bahts) is less than half the $A1500 (~37,000 bahts) that you paid on budget carrier Jetstar.

Same week ThaiAir, full service carrier,, is shown as $A970 (~24,000 bahts) for return.

Mate, those flights are one way.  

flights.JPG

Edited by Corrado Soprano

12 minutes ago, Corrado Soprano said:

those flights are one way.  

I seem to have misread the Google Matrix site prices. Lesson learned, apologies.

• Thanks 1

I'm flying to BKK next month with Jetstar, economy one way I normally pay $289, but was about $400 when I booked, but business class one way was $600 so took that instead. I checked the fare the following day and it went up to $1300!!!

• 3 months later...

Flights have started, saw a ThaiAirAsia aircraft at MEL today.