IGNORED

Methotrexate Alternative?

too_much_sun

My local pharmacy no longer stocks methotrexate and I am looking for an alternative, especially due to price (B1000 for 20 pills = 2 week supply).  Any recommendations for a Thai equivalent and where to buy?  I appreciate any help!

1 hour ago, too_much_sun said:

My local pharmacy no longer stocks methotrexate and I am looking for an alternative, especially due to price (B1000 for 20 pills = 2 week supply).  Any recommendations for a Thai equivalent and where to buy?  I appreciate any help!

In what area are you located? Maybe people will be able to suggest a good pharmacy that can advise you.

8 minutes ago, too_much_sun said:

Thank you for asking.  I am in Jomtien, but have a car so can go pretty much anywhere.

I recommend the Goodwill Pharmacy on Thappraya Road

2 minutes ago, too_much_sun said:

Do you know if they have the Thai equivalent or just Methotrexate?

Sorry I don’t know the medicine Methotrexate or what it’s about. My suggestion is only about that a good pharmacist is probably able to help you find it or find a Thai alternative.

13 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

Sorry I don’t know the medicine Methotrexate or what it’s about.

Dr Google advises:

What exactly does methotrexate do?
Methotrexate is a type of medicine called an immunosuppressant. It slows down your body's immune system and helps reduce inflammation. It is used to treat inflammatory conditions, including: rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Like 1

I'd see a Thai doctor. There is too much risk of interactions with other meds you take and bad side affects taking this type of drug to just self prescribe something. I'm the type that does self medicate with some problems but I wouldn't on this one.

methotrexate.jpg

It reduces white cell production instead of shutting it down like Prednisone. I was on a treatment regimine for a rare skin condition (jesners lymphatic). I needed to be monitored bi weekly for WBC.

I hope you find the real thing instead of an alternative.

Thank you all for your replies.  I’ve been on this medication for years, it’s basically the front line medicine for many types of arthritis.  The equivalent in Thailand is Alltrex, but haven’t found a local pharmacy to get it.  I was hoping to find somebody on here that was also taking it.  My friend recommended Fascino’s on North Pattaya Road, so planning to try that if no other recommendations come through.  Then hospital as last resort.