Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Going rate for non imm O and retirement visa

az89

My experience and plans.

I obtained a Non-Im OA from the USA about 6 years ago. At that time there was no insurance requirement for a Non-IM OA. When the insurance requirement was added about 4 years ago, it was grandfathered as a requirement for "Extensions of Stay" for original Non-Im OAs.

I have gotten around this for the last couple of years by purchasing worthless insurance at about 3000 TBH per year, when an Extension of Stay was due.

Just in case anyone does not know, the insurance requirement is a kick back scheme that provides no benefit for a person my age (73). The primary reason why is that they do not cover preexisting conditions. Also, I have excellent US based insurance, but Immigration will not accept this due to their obvious kickback scheme, which is based on the useless Thai insurance.

Anyway, I am exiting Thailand in a few weeks in order to kill my Non-Im OA. I will reenter a few days later on a 45 day visa exempt "Permission to Stay". I have an agent whom I have already discussed this with, whom I will see shortly (within days) after arrival.

The deal is I will purchase a 15 month "Permission to Stay" Non-IM O package with no insurance requirements. Cost is 25,000 THB. 

Oh, I do have the 800,000 in a Thai Bank for the stated period of time.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 3

On 20/09/2022 at 22:30, spider0064 said:

My insurance quotes for my 5 months trip are coming in at £350 - £450 a huge increase in what i was paying pre covid

I wish I needed 5 months 🙂 I checked with my usual source (chill.ie) and got a quote for 5 months @60, cost €169 I believe the underwriter is Mapfre (UK). I've had to claim before and they were good about it. Covid is covered.

On 22/09/2022 at 01:01, ChiFlyer said:

The deal is I will purchase a 15 month "Permission to Stay" Non-IM O package with no insurance requirements. Cost is 25,000 THB. 

Oh, I do have the 800,000 in a Thai Bank for the stated period of time.

Have you considered DIY given you have the 800k ?

The above package comprises a 3 month conversion to Non-Imm O, which I believe you can apply for at Jomtien (forget cost) to be approved by Bkk Imm. I think.
Then you get a 12 month Extension (Retirement) for 1,900.

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Have you considered DIY given you have the 800k ?

The above package comprises a 3 month conversion to Non-Imm O, which I believe you can apply for at Jomtien (forget cost) to be approved by Bkk Imm. I think.
Then you get a 12 month Extension (Retirement) for 1,900.

Yeah, I thought about it, but decided that since the move from an OA to an O is critical for me going forward, I would use a reputable agent this time to get things in place. After I am on the O, I may go back to pushing my won paper.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2022 at 23:46, ChiFlyer said:

Yeah, I thought about it, but decided that since the move from an OA to an O is critical for me going forward, I would use a reputable agent this time to get things in place. After I am on the O, I may go back to pushing my won paper.

Fair enough, but when you return your O-A is dead n gone the agent has nothing to do with that. Then it's a simple application at Jomtien to convert and later the extension.

If you didn't have 800k in place fair enough, but as it is 25k seems excessive to me....up2u f course.

A Q about my return to Thailand from Viet Nam.

I will be entering Thailand without an existing permission to stay for the first time in 6 years. Currently, on a Visa Exempt entry the requirements are listed as:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thai-visa-exemption-and-bilateral-agreement

• Be from an approved country.
  • Be visiting Thailand strictly for tourism.
  • Hold a genuine passport with a valid expiry of over 6 months.
  • Can provide a valid address in Thailand on entry that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  • Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
  • Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

** You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show that you will exit Thailand within 30 days of entry, you will most likely be refused entry.

I am good for all of this, except the return ticket. I suppose I should ante up for the cheapest one way available and toss said ticket. Anybody enter recently who was asked to show the return ticket? I will be traveling with the TGF, so I expect to go through the Express area.

7 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Currently, on a Visa Exempt entry the requirements are listed as:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thai-visa-exemption-and-bilateral-agreement

•  

I am good for all of this, ..............

I was picked up on this point a few years ago. I own a condo in Pattaya, and had made frequent visits; the IO said that I was not a tourist. Fortunately, he let me in, but told me to get a visa next time, which I did.

41 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

A Q about my return to Thailand from Viet Nam.

I will be entering Thailand without an existing permission to stay for the first time in 6 years. Currently, on a Visa Exempt entry the requirements are listed as:

• Be from an approved country.
  • Hold a genuine passport with a valid expiry of over 6 months.
  • Can provide a valid address in Thailand on entry that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  • Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
  • Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

** You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show that you will exit Thailand within 30 days of entry, you will most likely be refused entry.

I am good for all of this, except the return ticket. I suppose I should ante up for the cheapest one way available and toss said ticket. Anybody enter recently who was asked to show the return ticket? I will be traveling with the TGF, so I expect to go through the Express area.

Immigration don’t ask for anything unless you look dodgy or have a dubious entry record. The airline at check in ‘might’ be a problem unless you can show a flight out of Thailand within 30 days.

Edit: from 1 October within 45 days, until it changes back at some point.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

56 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I was picked up on this point a few years ago. I own a condo in Pattaya, and had made frequent visits; the IO said that I was not a tourist. Fortunately, he let me in, but told me to get a visa next time, which I did.

Thanks - this is the type of thing that I am a little concerned about. I rent our condo rather than own it, but the contract will show that it is rented through July 2023.

As usual with Thai Immigration, it all depends on who you end up standing in front of on any given day. A one way airline exit ticket will probably cost about $100 USD, but that might end up being money well spent.  Hell, maybe I can buy a refundable for a bit more and cancel it. However the cancellation will mean over an hour on telephone hold with VN airlines. Probably better to buy from a different airline. I say this because I recently called VN Air to inquire about something and hung up after 15 minutes on hold. Cancellation through their website or email does not seem to be an option.

Also, the exchange rate for the Vietnamese Dong to the USD appear to be a little under 25,000. I guess I will need a shopping bag for my pocket change. :)

If anyone has made a trip to VN before, how much do you pick up at the airport from an ATM just for getting around purposes (cab fares etc.). I am going into Da Nang.

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 04/09/2022 at 12:41, davidge said:

I’ve recently checked prices with a couple of agents. I’m (hopefully) going to get a Non O ‘for Retirement’ from RTE London before travelling but don’t really want to keep 800k sitting in a Thai account for 5/6 months, and 400k for the rest of the year. 

One agent in central Pattaya has quoted me 8000 baht for the first extension if I have 800k in any bank. I’ll probably have that when I arrive but will be spending the money during my trip. As the agent can do the extension early I might do this. Otherwise, it’s 12500 if I don’t have the 800k BUT only if I have an account with Bangkok Bank. They charge 3700 to open one. In either case it’s 1000 for a single re-entry and 4000 for multiple.

An agent in Jomtien quoted me 20000 for the first extension without the 800k and didn’t mention needing a particular bank account. 5000 for a multiple re-entry.

If I run into problems with the Non O then a friend used an agent when he entered on a Visa Exempt a few months ago and paid, I think, 25000 for conversion to a Non O and first extension. He already had an account with Bangkok Bank and paid 1000 for a single re-entry.

In terms of the Non O (FROM RTE LONDON) the current insurance requirement is the 100k including Covid. I would be getting insurance anyway so this isn’t an issue. I looked at companies I’ve used in the past and they either wouldn’t cover me or were very expensive as my trips will be 3+ months. So, I got cover through a Thai agent/broker - though it was a European company - and the agent sent me a one page confirmation with the details needed for the visa.

On 31/08/2022 at 08:36, penboy said:

I applied at the weekend for a Non immigrant O based on retirement. I'm UK based, 57 and with no pension.

Insurance policy is from my bank, it states ''medical cover up to £1mil''. No mention of outpatient specifically.

I showed them a current account that has had £10k in it for over 3 months.

Apart from some other documents (mainly passport pages) that was it. Looks like they issued it on their first working day after the bank holiday.

£60 cost and will save me around 14k baht to get the yearly extension once I'm in Thailand.

Hi Guys, sorry for being a pest with another question but am i correct in thinking that if i have the NON O visa which gives me 90 days stay the agents fee will be for an extension C16000 BHT and not the higher fee of C25000 + BHT.

Hope this makes sense, Oh and i won't have the funds in a Bank or monthly income showing

15 minutes ago, spider0064 said:

Hi Guys, sorry for being a pest with another question but am i correct in thinking that if i have the NON O visa which gives me 90 days stay the agents fee will be for an extension C16000 BHT and not the higher fee of C25000 + BHT.

Hope this makes sense, Oh and i won't have the funds in a Bank or monthly income showing

For one of the two I’ve had quotes from it would be 12500 plus the cost of a re entry permit if you want one (1000/4000) but you must have an account with Bangkok Bank (3700 to open one if you don’t).

The second one quoted 20000 (plus 5000 for a multiple re-entry).

1 hour ago, spider0064 said:

It will vary slightly from agent to agent but as  Davidge says 12,500 plus bank account fee is the norm. If I can't find an agent who can use Kasikorn, then I will try and open a BKK bank account myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2022 at 08:36, penboy said:

I applied at the weekend for a Non immigrant O based on retirement. I'm UK based, 57 and with no pension.

Insurance policy is from my bank, it states ''medical cover up to £1mil''. No mention of outpatient specifically.

I showed them a current account that has had £10k in it for over 3 months.

Apart from some other documents (mainly passport pages) that was it. Looks like they issued it on their first working day after the bank holiday.

£60 cost and will save me around 14k baht to get the yearly extension once I'm in Thailand.

Just completing my application now for the O Visa  and have a couple of points if you can advise ...

3 . Declaration -  What is it they are wanting as a declaration document ?

4 . Proof of the permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted  - For this i will submit a council tax bill so should show what is requested.

8 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.   - for this do i upload another utility bill or the same council tax bill as in point 4.  

spider 

9 hours ago, spider0064 said:

Just completing my application now for the O Visa  and have a couple of points if you can advise ...

4 . Proof of the permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted  - For this i will submit a council tax bill so should show what is requested.

8 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.   - for this do i upload another utility bill or the same council tax bill as in point 4.  

spider 

4 and 8 , I think I used Passport but utility bill etc. should do

3, don't you have to print the declaration from the site, sign it, photograph it and then upload it?

On 30/09/2022 at 18:51, penboy said:

If I can't find an agent who can use Kasikorn, then I will try and open a BKK bank account myself.

If you have 800K in a bank account, I think it won't matter which one. If you don't have the funds, then a BKK Bank account seems to be required by the agents. 

10 hours ago, spider0064 said:

spider 

I posted this in another thread last month:

I was applying for the Non O ‘for Retirement’. I just followed the online instructions- though I had most documents etc ready on my iPad.

From memory, I uploaded:

1. Photo of details page of passport;

2. Headshot of myself taken on phone (when I submitted I got a warning that the photo might not be good enough but submitted it anyway and it was accepted);

3. Declaration form which appears during application- I printed it off, signed it and took photo;

4. My occupational pension statement. I’m too young for State Pension and the occupational pension amount isn’t very high;

5. I used a bank statement as proof of residence showing well over £10k in account, though I only uploaded one month;

6. No travel history so I wrote ‘None’ on a piece of paper and took a photo;

7. Photo of me holding passport;

8. Flight details - return flight 92 days after arrival;

9. hotel booking for first week;

10. Insurance that included 100k Covid. I was getting insurance anyway, used a Thai agent/broker and they provide a one page summary for me to upload;

11. Paid the £60 fee.

I did everything on my ipad and had no problems. Uploads each need to be less than 2mb but it’s easy to choose size of file on ipad. Some had to be jpg but PDF was ok for others.

I got the visa in about 3 days.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I arrived 2 weeks ago having obtained the Non Imm O in the UK, stamped in for 90 days on arrival.

Out of curiosity and also thinking ahead I spoke with 2 agents and asked how much it would be to get the 1 year extension, given that I don't have the 800k baht in Thai bank.

The agent based in Pattaya (unlocks doors 🤫 ) quoted 16,000 and the agent in Jomtien (neighbour of Immigration) quoted 20,000. Both stipulated that I need a Bangkok bank account, so I'll try and open one. I'll be doing more investigations regarding agents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2022 at 22:37, rog555 said:

you can do it yourself

On 22/08/2022 at 17:56, Bazle said:

Non Imm. O visa before you leave

On 23/08/2022 at 15:05, penboy said:

me I would save money if I got the Non Immigrant O in my own country.

I'm confused(well LOS is confusing ☺️)

I was going to apply in Sydney for my O retirement visa for 3 months. But  flew into Bangkok getting a 45 day exemtion on arrival. Went to Pattaya immigration for O retirement Visa 3 months and said had to have a bank account of B800k. But pay immigration officer B4500 and her friend can open account for you of B20k.

Now in Australia they didn't want a Thai  bank account just show them my bank account with equivalent dollars. I can't understand the different requirements.

I'm think just extend my 45 days and apply for tourist visas in Thailand as I plan to travel back to Australia at least every 6 months.

Your thoughts.

19 minutes ago, ronboy said:

I was going to apply in Sydney for my O retirement visa for 3 months. But  flew into Bangkok getting a 45 day exemtion on arrival. Went to Pattaya immigration for O retirement Visa 3 months and said had to have a bank account of B800k. But pay immigration officer B4500 and her friend can open account for you of B20k.

Now in Australia they didn't want a Thai  bank account just show them my bank account with equivalent dollars. I can't understand the different requirements.

I'm think just extend my 45 days and apply for tourist visas in Thailand as I plan to travel back to Australia at least every 6 months.

Your thoughts.

The requirements in Oz are different to the requirements to when you apply for the visa in Thailand.

What do you mean by ''apply for tourist visa in Thailand''? You can't get a TV whilst staying in Thailand.

If you want to stay in Thailand for 6 months (without vlsa run) then get a Non imm O based on retirement. This gets extended for 1 year. Get a re-entry permit before you leave and then get stamped in for a year when you return.

Edited by penboy
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, ronboy said:

Your thoughts.

The easiest pathway, and the one that I chose after talking to a lot of ex pats who live here, is not to apply in your home country. Come here on a tourist visa, and get an agent to convert it to an O retirement visa. Yes you can do it yourself, but there's no way I'd even consider dealing with the forms, and the Jomtien immigration office.

In the YT video as the agent said, things can be "facilitated" regarding the 800K in the bank, meaning that you don't have to have it. Many people prefer to have their money in their bank back ,and not have large amounts in a Thai bank.

Not recommending this agent in particular, all agents can do the same thing, I went through Manareet, and they were excellent.

Edited by Farangkie
  • Like 2

I arrived Monday on a Non-O, easy to get from RTE London, so was stamped in until 11 February 2023.

At the moment I have the 800k in my account so this morning I went to the bank, withdrew a small amount and got bank book updated and got a letter from them for immigration. No issues getting one. 100 baht.

Yesterday I’d signed a condo contract so also had that on me.

Went to agent with my passport, bank book, bank letter and condo agreement. Forwarded the email with my e-visa. Went down the street to get passport photos, 120 baht for 8, gave 2 photos to agent.

Agent took 2 photos of me inside the shop and I paid 12000 baht for a 12-month extension plus multiple re-entry permit, so I’m good until February 2024. They’ll also do the 90-day reports for me, I just go to their shop.

Said I’ll get my passport back tomorrow or Monday.

No need to go to Immigration.

On 17/11/2022 at 15:10, davidge said:

I arrived Monday on a Non-O, easy to get from RTE London, so was stamped in until 11 February 2023.

At the moment I have the 800k in my account so this morning I went to the bank, withdrew a small amount and got bank book updated and got a letter from them for immigration. No issues getting one. 100 baht.

Yesterday I’d signed a condo contract so also had that on me.

Went to agent with my passport, bank book, bank letter and condo agreement. Forwarded the email with my e-visa. Went down the street to get passport photos, 120 baht for 8, gave 2 photos to agent.

Agent took 2 photos of me inside the shop and I paid 12000 baht for a 12-month extension plus multiple re-entry permit, so I’m good until February 2024. They’ll also do the 90-day reports for me, I just go to their shop.

Said I’ll get my passport back tomorrow or Monday.

No need to go to Immigration.

I've never had a non O visa before so still getting to grips with understanding it. Am I correct in saying that:

1) I can get the extension done as soon as I arrive in Thailand

2) the 12 month extension is added to the end date of your 3 month date that you get when stamped in

3) I need a re-entry permit before I leave Thailand.

4) I can re-enter Thailand any time up to the end of the extension (Feb 2024 in your case)

5) I then need to get another extension before the previous extension runs out

What stamp does the IO put in the passport when you arrive back in on a re-entry permit?

7 hours ago, penboy said:

I've never had a non O visa before so still getting to grips with understanding it. Am I correct in saying that:

1) I can get the extension done as soon as I arrive in Thailand

2) the 12 month extension is added to the end date of your 3 month date that you get when stamped in

3) I need a re-entry permit before I leave Thailand.

4) I can re-enter Thailand any time up to the end of the extension (Feb 2024 in your case)

5) I then need to get another extension before the previous extension runs out

What stamp does the IO put in the passport when you arrive back in on a re-entry permit?

1. If you use an agent 

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. Yes

entry stamp will be to the end of the permission to stay, so 11 February 2024 in my case.

I got my passport back Monday. Free 90 day reports - I need to remember to go to agent.

I've been told you can do the 90 reporting on line. Saves the hassle of going to agent or immigration.

But... I downloaded the app and tried to register but it keeps failing and timing out. Any idea what I may be doing wrong ?? Is there a trick I'm not aware of.

1 hour ago, Sloracer said:

I've been told you can do the 90 reporting on line. Saves the hassle of going to agent or immigration.

But... I downloaded the app and tried to register but it keeps failing and timing out. Any idea what I may be doing wrong ?? Is there a trick I'm not aware of.

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login
Is that the site you are using. Getting registered can take a few goes but once registered it has worked every time for me to actually make the 90 day report.
Takes about 5 minutes so worth persevering to get registered.