Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Moving my stuff to Thailand

bargepole

hi all, I am in the process (hopefully) of moving to Thailand with my girlfriend of several years. We have a house in Srakeow and i have spent much of the last two years there. I have a Non immigrant 0 visa for one year, and I understand that I can apply for a retirement visa after three months (sadly i turned 50 this year).

I want to bring lots of my personal effects and household stuff to Thailand but i am confused as to whether i can do this on either of these visas. Can anyone give any advice?

I have been told that I am entitled only to bring in used personal effects (limited to clothes, books and computer) tax/duty free. Other items are tax/dutyable. Does anyone know if this is correct, since there I many things I would lioke to bring from my home.

thanks

Barge

You will find that the level of duty levied on the stuff above the (perhaps meagre) allowances will be so prohibitive as to take your breath away

Did your TG (wife) ever get to stay in your country for any length of time?

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

hi all, I am in the process (hopefully) of moving to Thailand with my girlfriend of several years. We have a house in Srakeow and i have spent much of the last two years there. I have a Non immigrant 0 visa for one year, and I understand that I can apply for a retirement visa after three months (sadly i turned 50 this year).

I want to bring lots of my personal effects and household stuff to Thailand but i am confused as to whether i can do this on either of these visas. Can anyone give any advice?

I have been told that I am entitled only to bring in used personal effects (limited to clothes, books and computer) tax/duty free. Other items are tax/dutyable. Does anyone know if this is correct, since there I many things I would lioke to bring from my home.

thanks

Barge

Same thing I've always heard. I'm on my 3rd annual retirement extension and follow any related topics pretty close. I think the only people that get a break are ones with a work permit. I beleive they can bring in one shipment duty free. The rules for retirees are not very favorable. In addition, if you do annual extensions based on retirement vice marriage you cannot become eligible for Permanent Residency (PR) status.

Thanks.

I suppose my question should have been 'am i elligible to bring in household effects duty free, either a non-immigrant type 'o' or a retirement visa?' From your response I suspect the answer is no.

I would also be grateful if you could expand on your non qualification for permanent residency comment regarding retirement visa. How can you qualify for permanaent residency?

Barge

I would also be grateful if you could expand on your non qualification for permanent residency comment regarding retirement visa. How can you qualify for permanaent residency?

I'm not real knowledgable about PR status so take all this with a grain of salt. This is from reading other peoples reports about it.

I believe you can become eligible after staying three years on consecutive annual extensions based on marriage or work permits. Retirement extensions were excluded which are easier to do each year even if married as long as you're over 50.

It also requires being able to converse in Thai and a few other things and there are quotas of something like 100 per nationality which usually aren't met anyway for most countries.

If any BM here has this maybe they can correct anything I got wrong or add more detail.

Thanks.

I suppose my question should have been 'am i elligible to bring in household effects duty free, either a non-immigrant type 'o' or a retirement visa?' From your response I suspect the answer is no.

Barge

Thats why i asked has your TGF ever been to your country.

The answer is NO for you, but there is nothing stopping your TGF from bringing "her own" personal belongings back, if she had resided in your country for a certain ammount of time.

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine