Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Only one hdmi input on my laptop, can a kind expert help please?

beethoven

Hi

My laptop a Samsung R540,  is on its last legs,  I've had it since 2011 and had great service out of it,  however after various episodes of me dropping it on the floor there are no USB ports left on it other than the one I use for my wireless mouse,  the other two were smashed up on one of my laptop dropping events

Anyhoo the only other port is a hdmi port,  the thing is if I buy a new laptop how would I be able to transfer all the stuff on my present computer to the new one? 

Perhaps at the same time any recommendations for a new laptop would be welcome!  

I use my laptop to look at you tube stuff,  banking,  and emails etc i. e. Very simple stuff,  I don't do gaming or any highly sophisticated computer business,  as tbh I'm a bit of a techy simpleton. 

Any help would be very welcome to an old fogey like me

Cheers Beet

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Sorry, not an expert. I just have to say, holy shit! How did you get 11 years of use from a PC laptop? And it sounds like you weren't exactly gentle with it. I had to replace laptops roughly every 2 years before I switched to MacBooks. Anyway, good luck with the data transfer. If you're in Pattaya you can probably go buy a laptop at Tukcom and get the friendly salesman to do it for you.

buy a "2.5-Inch SATA 3.0 To USB" cable from lazada (400 baht)

buy new laptop 

unscrew hard disk drive from old laptop connect to new laptop via said cable

it will recognize it as an external hard drive and you can browse the files and copy to new laptop hard drive

as for all your bookmarks/passwords etc..... you cant copy/paste them across

so you go into hard disk management - make sure the connected old hard drive is recognized as a bootable drive

restart computer entering bios settings - go to boot settings and set your old drive as the first priority boot and it should boot up into windows from your old laptop

then you can save all your passwords/bookmarks etc to a html file and copy them across and then import them to your browser in your new laptop

youtube the steps and there will be instructional videos for how you do it - now you know what to search for

good luck

“Givers have to set limits because takers never do.” - Henry Ford

"No matter how hot she is.... somebody, somewhere is sick to death of her shit" - Me

20 minutes ago, beethoven said:

how would I be able to transfer all the stuff on my present computer to the new one

Stuff? ...be more specific. Files or programs or apps or bookmarks

I use a usb splitter, so you only really need one port anyway.

10 minutes ago, bradonw said:

buy a "2.5-Inch SATA 3.0 To USB" cable from lazada (400 baht)

buy new laptop 

unscrew hard disk drive from old laptop connect to new laptop via said cable

it will recognize it as an external hard drive and you can browse the files and copy to new laptop hard drive

as for all your bookmarks/passwords etc..... you cant copy/paste them across

so you go into hard disk management - make sure the connected old hard drive is recognized as a bootable drive

restart computer entering bios settings - go to boot settings and set your old drive as the first priority boot and it should boot up into windows from your old laptop

then you can save all your passwords/bookmarks etc to a html file and copy them across and then import them to your browser in your new laptop

youtube the steps and there will be instructional videos for how you do it - now you know what to search for

good luck

I just thought

you can save all your bookmarks/passwords etc... to html files now as your laptop still works (every time i have done this has been when the computer will not longer boot up) - then you can just transfer the files across direct without the whole bootable drive/bios change etc....

Do it before you remove the hard drive from the old laptop

“Givers have to set limits because takers never do.” - Henry Ford

"No matter how hot she is.... somebody, somewhere is sick to death of her shit" - Me

First thing to do is create a folder on the current laptop's desktop and move everything you want to save into that folder.  This could include photos, videos, docs, media, etcc.   It's a simple cut and paste to the folder.  Once that's done you can name the folder something like "transfer files" because all the data your moving is packed into one folder.

Next thing to do is buy a portable hard drive, since you have one working USB drive.   Make sure the portable hard drive has the capacity to carry all the data your are saving.  They come in different sizes (500gb, 1tb, 5tb, and higher).  Plug the portable hard drive into your one working USB drive, cut/copy and paste the folder that you created onto the portable hard drive.  

Once you have the new laptop, plug the portable hard drive into it and copy/cut and paste that same folder onto the new laptop.  Just make sure your new laptop has enough space for the files.  

Good Luck!

While your laptop is till working, back up the most important documents on a cloud service like Google Drive, Dropbox...

The HDMI port on your laptop is only for video output, you can't transfer files with that.
If all your other ports are dead, do as bradonw said: buy a 2.5-Inch SATA 3.0 To USB adapter, then crack the laptop open, get the hard drive out and connect it to your adapter, to be used on another computer. It will then behave like a giant usb stick, and then you can recover your files.

For passwords, if you manage them with your browser, get onto another computer and sign in with the same browser and your passwords will sync. As mentioned above, bookmarks can be exported as files, copied over then imported again. Or sync'ed just like the password.

No matter what, it's always a good idea to keep backups at all time. Follow the rule of three (not the rule of three days lol): you need three copies of your important files a all time: two on site, and one off site like in the cloud, or just somewhere else. Copy #3 is for the catastrophic events.

By important files I mean anything personal that can't be downloaded again.

• Like 2

For your bookmarks and passwords:  You can create a login for your Firefox/Chrome browsers.  On your new laptop, install the browsers, login and sync.  Presto-magic, your bookmarks and passwords are on your new laptop.

If for some reason you're not comfortable doing that, you can export your bookmarks and passwords to a file.  Zip up those files and set a password, then compose an email in Yahoo and attach the files, but don't send the email, but save it in drafts.  Log into your Yahoo account on your new laptop and your bookmarks and passwords file is in your draft folder.  All you'll need to do is unzip and import.  Delete the draft email.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Wow guys many thanks for your generous help,  I'm getting the new lp in the next few days and will work on your suggestions,  

Thanks very much again and good luck 

Cheers Beet 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

13 hours ago, duke main said:

Sorry, not an expert. I just have to say, holy shit! How did you get 11 years of use from a PC laptop? And it sounds like you weren't exactly gentle with it. I had to replace laptops roughly every 2 years before I switched to MacBooks. Anyway, good luck with the data transfer. If you're in Pattaya you can probably go buy a laptop at Tukcom and get the friendly salesman to do it for you.

What kind of garbage were you buying?  I have 3 Acer laptops who's only claim to fame is that they are cheap.  All of them are more than 5 years old and still work fine.  My oldest is over 15 years old.  Only reason I get new ones is because the older ones eventually get too slow. 

Edited by Kale

I’ve had a few Acer laptops, and they’ve been excellent value for money. I’ve had no problems with them.

3 minutes ago, Kale said:

What kind of garbage were you buying?  I have 3 Acer laptops who's only claim to fame is that they are cheap.  All of them are more than 5 years old and still work fine.  My oldest is over 15 years old.  Only reason I get new ones is because the older ones eventually get too slow. 

These claims are common in Apple fandom circles.

4 years is standard laptop rollover period, even with the cheaper stuff. 3 years if you find yourself with some basement-quality Chinese gear.

Anything only lasting two years is probably going to look something like this:

71P4Zrn3B8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Going to agree.  Ive never had a new laptop, that didnt still have a good use for it a decade later.

I have one windows10 lapotop, I got from an employer in 2001, when IBM still made laptops.

Upgraded the ram, got a 3rd party BIOS update to support  Penryn processor, and stuck an SSD into it.

It's still useful in the garage for my car audio DSP, standalone ECUs, and..tons of little things sometimes when I need a windows platform for something.

IYKYK