IGNORED

Replacing an iPhone at this time

ChiFlyer

I have always owned an iPhone. I am just one lazy SOB I guess.

I thought I might ask for any suggestions about buying a new iPhone. I have an XS and it has been a good phone, but it is starting to get a little quirky and is 4 years old. I have not always treated it with the loving care it deserves. Sounds like the right time to replace it is now.

I am not coming into this cold. I have been reading up a little on current models and options. Since I am an upgrade after a few Model releases have passed kind of a guy, I figure that I should go with an iPhone 13 Pro.  The only difference that I see between the 13 Pro and the 13 Pro Max is that the Max screen display is bigger. Despite my increasingly Mr. Magoo eye sight, this is not a reason to spend more money for me.

One thing I really liked about the XS was the dual sim with one of them being an e-sim. I use AIS for the e-sim. The 13 Pro versions have similar, if not identical, sim capabilities.

I figure I may as well buy a 13 Pro from AIS and have them do the conversion. If I convert the phone myself, I still have to go see AIS to convert the e-sim. AIS has various options to reduce the purchase price, but all of them include signing up for some kind of data contract. I am almost always on wi-fi, so I do not need an AIS data contract IMO. The cost of the data contract exceeds the reduction in the purchase of the phone. Eff that.

Anyway, I see that I can purchase the phone from the online AIS store for a little under 40,000 and pick it up at the local AIS store in Central Plaza. I figure I will go to the AIS store in Central Plaza and see what they offer me. If the price is significantly more expensive than the online AIS store, I will evaluate my options.

Any comments?

Edited by ChiFlyer

As a fellow iPhone cultist, I would recommend holding out until the 14 is on sale; even if you don’t plan on getting one, the price of the 13 should drop immediately after the 14 goes on sale. The release date will probably be about two months away. 

TB-ES

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:
I have always owned an iPhone. I am just one lazy SOB I guess.

I thought I might ask for any suggestions about buying a new iPhone. I have an XS and it has been a good phone, but it is starting to get a little quirky and is 4 years old. I have not always treated it with the loving care it deserves. Sounds like the right time to replace it is now.

I am not coming into this cold. I have been reading up a little on current models and options. Since I am an upgrade after a few Model releases have passed kind of a guy, I figure that I should go with an iPhone 13 Pro.  The only difference that I see between the 13 Pro and the 13 Pro Max is that the Max screen display is bigger. Despite my increasingly Mr. Magoo eye sight, this is not a reason to spend more money for me.

One thing I really liked about the XS was the dual sim with one of them being an e-sim. I use AIS for the e-sim. The 13 Pro versions have similar, if not identical, sim capabilities.

I figure I may as well buy a 13 Pro from AIS and have them do the conversion. If I convert the phone myself, I still have to go see AIS to convert the e-sim. AIS has various options to reduce the purchase price, but all of them include signing up for some kind of data contract. I am almost always on wi-fi, so I do not need an AIS data contract IMO. The cost of the data contract exceeds the reduction in the purchase of the phone. Eff that.

Anyway, I see that I can purchase the phone from the online AIS store for a little under 40,000 and pick it up at the local AIS store in Central Plaza. I figure I will go to the AIS store in Central Plaza and see what they offer me. If the price is significantly more expensive than the online AIS store, I will evaluate my options.

Any comments?

I did send you a pb

At the moment I'm pissed at Apple for not trashing the lightning fitting and go type "C" connecters on the iPhones. They hype their photo/video quality but pushing the full size data through the lightning connecter takes forever. Come on Apple give us the latest and greatest. Vowed to not upgrade until "C" available on iPhones.

13 hours ago, jetdoc said:

At the moment I'm pissed at Apple for not trashing the lightning fitting and go type "C" connecters on the iPhones. They hype their photo/video quality but pushing the full size data through the lightning connecter takes forever. Come on Apple give us the latest and greatest. Vowed to not upgrade until "C" available on iPhones.

Don't know about the US, but the EU recently passed a law to force Apple to do just this.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jun/07/all-smartphones-to-use-usb-c-charging-ports-from-autumn-2024-says-eu

• Like 1

I reckon if you need a new iPhone (or any tech) now, get it now. If you can wait, then wait. 
But who am I to put my spoke in….. I have never owned a smart-shone, and likely never will.

1 hour ago, Micky2 said:

I reckon if you need a new iPhone (or any tech) now, get it now. If you can wait, then wait. 
But who am I to put my spoke in….. I have never owned a smart-shone, and likely never will.

Strange post of the day..

22 minutes ago, thainet said:

Strange post of the day..

Probably still had Nokia 1990 mobile phone .. 555 . 

I still have iPhone 11 Pro Max . Very good condition, won’t change it til it had problems . To OP , better wait til next month or October for new IPhone 14 and decide . 

13 hours ago, jocky king said:

Nah…. It’s a flip-phone, brand unknown, seldom carried. 

Agree with the above & wait for the 14 to come out if only to leverage the 13 having better deals come October/November.

FWIW, the 14 doesn't look much impressive. It's said to receive a bump for the camera & the notch will be reduced. We probably won't see the benefits of the camera until the 15 when they dedicate some time to the software. The non-Pro 14s will have the 13 Pro chips. 

I don't know why the SE second edition doesn't get more love. Sure, its got a somewhat reduced feature set, but it's a perfect small form factor for me, and the price is certainly right.

Anyone who gets one... I would strongly recommend you consider the original Apple leather case for it. Yeah, laugh at the price, but after a few years and a dozen drops my SE is still in pristine condition.

I'm not your savior, I'm just a naughty boy.

On 09/08/2022 at 12:25, jocky king said:

I still have iPhone 11 Pro Max . Very good condition, won’t change it til it had problems . To OP , better wait til next month or October for new IPhone 14 and decide . 

I’m still happy with iPhone 11 Pro, though I had the battery replaced just last month.  I typically wait to replace every four years, so holding out for the iPhone 15 Pro.  The MAX is just a bit to big for my daily use.

My thought is to purchase the latest most up-to-date version which will likely last a bit longer than the previous one; perhaps saves money in the longer run, but I really don’t know. 

Edited by momo5

1 hour ago, Revanchist said:

I don't know why the SE second edition doesn't get more love. Sure, its got a somewhat reduced feature set, but it's a perfect small form factor for me, and the price is certainly right.

Anyone who gets one... I would strongly recommend you consider the original Apple leather case for it. Yeah, laugh at the price, but after a few years and a dozen drops my SE is still in pristine condition.

Yes, the SE is a great form factor and the Apple makes very good cases.  However, several years ago I fell in love with the BookBook from TwelveSouth.  As I never carry a wallet, this case is perfect for carrying my phone, DL and a few cards.  The newer version has a cradle for the phone which pops in and out of the main case with complete ease.  With daily use and abuse, drops and spills, they still manage to hold up for 3-4 years.

On 09/08/2022 at 12:45, jetdoc said:

People typically sync with wifi now and use Dropbox app to transfer anything to and from your computer. There’s no reason to transfer anything with a cable … unless you’re a pro video guy who transfers 4K video or something. 

Edited by Arnie85

3 hours ago, Revanchist said:

A $5 one of these will achieve the same result.  They get tatty after a year, chuck it in the bin and get another one. Those Apple cases are stupidly overpriced. 

A7778937-69BC-415E-B9DD-F14DD5564176.jpeg.0a86fda1e7c99148c623024f1fcf163c.jpeg

6 hours ago, Arnie85 said:

unless you’re a pro video guy who transfers 4K video or something.

Not a pro just like quality - maybe leftover airplane thing.

11 hours ago, momo5 said:

I’m still happy with iPhone 11 Pro, though I had the battery replaced just last month.  I typically wait to replace every four years, so holding out for the iPhone 15 Pro.  The MAX is just a bit to big for my daily use.

My thought is to purchase the latest most up-to-date version which will likely last a bit longer than the previous one; perhaps saves money in the longer run, but I really don’t know

Change battery after 3 years ? How much it cost ? Thanks in advance . I like max pro because it is bigger and my eyesight are shit .. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jocky king said:

Change battery after 3 years ? How much it cost ? Thanks in advance . I like max pro because it is bigger and my eyesight are shit .. 😂😂😂

Same as me Jocky with regard to eyesight. Cost of IPhone Pro 12 Max battery (I Have) through the Apple store is £69 and you can walk in after making appointment.

3 hours ago, jocky king said:

It was around 70 USD and took about an hour at my local Apple Store. 

8 hours ago, overseas516 said:

Same as me Jocky with regard to eyesight. Cost of IPhone Pro 12 Max battery (I Have) through the Apple store is £69 and you can walk in after making appointment.

7 hours ago, momo5 said:

It was around 70 USD and took about an hour at my local Apple Store. 

Thanks for info , not as bad as I feared , thought it cost more than €150 . . I think at the mo , battery is ok . At that price ( €70+ ) I might even afford to wait for new iPhone Pro 25 Max 555 ..

14 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Thanks for info , not as bad as I feared , thought it cost more than €150 . . I think at the mo , battery is ok . At that price ( €70+ ) I might even afford to wait for new iPhone Pro 25 Max 555 ..

i realized that my iPhone 5S needed a new battery the day before I was leaving for a month in Thailand.  There wasn’t enough time to get to an Apple store, so I went to a local tech repair shop who replaced it for $60.  After a week in Patts I took the phone out of the safe to make a call, and the phone wouldn’t even turn on.  grrrrrrr

Lesson learned.  Stick with the manufacturer’s service, if possible.  

I had the battery in a different phone replaced several years ago by Apple, and it’s still going strong. Took about an hour at the Apple store.

Here’s Apple’s battery replacement cost estimator.  

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-replacement

22 minutes ago, vivid2 said:

i realized that my iPhone 5S needed a new battery the day before I was leaving for a month in Thailand.  There wasn’t enough time to get to an Apple store, so I went to a local tech repair shop who replaced it for $60.  After a week in Patts I took the phone out of the safe to make a call, and the phone wouldn’t even turn on.  grrrrrrr

Lesson learned.  Stick with the manufacturer’s service, if possible.  

I had the battery in a different phone replaced several years ago by Apple, and it’s still going strong. Took about an hour at the Apple store.

Here’s Apple’s battery replacement cost estimator.  

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-replacement

Very good !!!  Apple store shop only for me then .. Thanks for the tip . 

048DD59F-2245-43DF-A1CB-95EC6093AECD.png

Are secondhand I phones and I pads worth buying?

Ive got an old SE (I phone 5/6) but don’t use it a lot, so don’t want to spend much.

I also can’t get on with android.

Edited by tj916
Edit

31 minutes ago, tj916 said:

Are secondhand I phones and I pads worth buying?

Ive got an old SE (I phone 5/6) but don’t use it a lot, so don’t want to spend much.

I also can’t get on with android.

Always worth it to me to have a backup phone. Serves as the pussy phone when not in a relationship, otherwise sits in a drawer in case the primary/every day/business phone goes tits up.

The second iPhone doesn't even need a SIM card. Just share the internet connection from the primary phone.

I'm not your savior, I'm just a naughty boy.