IGNORED

SCB ATM will expire before my next trip

blue1878

In 2008 I opened an account with Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) and I was given a pay in book and an ATM card.  So before every holiday I transfer my holiday spends into my SCB account.  Anyway because of COVID my trip in December will be my first trip in 3 years.  And my ATM card will expire before my trip.  Normally when I first arrive in Pattaya I go to a branch of SCB and get money out to pay for my hotel room.  And because I wont be arriving at my hotel till late afternoon I am unlikely to be able to visit a branch of SCB till a day later to get a new ATM card and the money to pay for my hotel room.  This isnt a problem as the hotel knows about my expired ATM card and don't mind me paying till a day later.  If possible I'd still like to pay for my room when I check in.  I seem to remember that there are SCB booths at Suvarnabhumi airport.  So I'm wondering if I showed the staff at the both my pay in book and expired ATM card and my passport would they give me the money and update the pay in book.  I can then pay for my room when I check in

With Bangkok Bank, I pay my hotel bill with Prompt Pay on the mobile app.  Takes one minute using their phone #.

Might be an option for you...

• Like 2

Not 100% sure, but I very much doubt you will able to withdraw any cash at the airport. With the Bangkok bank new cards have to be issued with the main branch and where you opened the account. You also have to go to the same branch if you have a new passport, so they can update records etc.

Mate,

Unless you get a card with your name on it, they will just give you a new one for a 300bt fee (I think). As others have said, get yourself the app, go through the ID process and you ar ready to roll. I can't recall the last time I paid anything with a card, it's all done mostly by QR codes now :)

And to think I remember lining up at work to get paid in cash, back in the day :D 

• Like 2

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

As @Atlas said above, get yourself the SCB smartphone app installed on your phone (unless you don't have a smartphone) and you're good to go once you get it all set up. Thailand's government has been pushing PromptPay and QR Code payments for a while, and each day they are more widespread. All that is really required is a Thai bank account, and a smartphone. hotels, street carts, grocery stores, all sorts of places have QR code signs these days over here.

Renewing ATM cards takes time and expense. The smartphone app doesn't expire, and you can make "cardless" withdrawals of cash at Thai ATM machines using your smartphone instead of an ATM card. Unless you just want an ATM card because you've always had ATM cards, there really isn't much of a reason to have a Thai bank ATM card anymore. I guess it could be handy if your phone was lost or broken, but that's about all I can think of. 

Thanks guys for all the advice

(1) I've already got the SCB App on my smartphone but I've not yet set it up to make payments .  As I'm not flying out till December I've got the time to set it up

(2) At the moment I think I'll just turn up at my hotel and see if I can use the smartphone app to pay for my room.  I'm probable being negative but they might not let me because I used to pay them for my room with a credit card.  And there connection wasnt very good.  So it used to take me 2 or 3 tries to pay for my room.  And one of the girls behind the counter (Apple) used to moan at me for wanting to pay by Credit Card.  Always asking me to pay by cash. So I started paying cash. And paying cash wasnt a problem because I always arrived in Pattaya in the morning.  For my next trip I wont arrive in Pattaya till about 4pm.  So I wont have the time. Hopefully there system will now be better.  At worst I can pay a 1 day deposit and get cash the next day

(3) I will still call into the SCB branch that I opened the account 13 years ago and get an ATM card.  I'm old and like using an ATM card 😂.  And when I'm in the branch I can update my pay in book.

(4) The important thing is I've got enough Thai baht to pay for my taxi between airport and hotel.  To pay for my first night.  And have a great first night.  And then the next day I can call into my thai branch

There is another way around all this . Pay your hotel when you checkout . If they know you as a regular you should be able to do this . I always pay on leaving in hotels I have stayed before . You should be able to consider this , unless the manager is a Liverpool supporter  , 😊 

SCB doesn't support cardless withdrawl?

I know with Kasikorn, you don't need your card to take money out of an ATM, just the phone app.

Hmm, I found this.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/digital-banking/scb-easy/how-to/cardless.html

Edited by yobbo

DATY champion of Pattaya,

If your hotel is making any problems, maybe it’s also an idea to offer them a temporary deposit in Pound notes, which they give back to you when you pay in baht. I assume you want to pay in baht because of the exchange rate.

On 03/08/2022 at 19:28, worldpunter said:

There is another way around all this . Pay your hotel when you checkout . If they know you as a regular you should be able to do this . I always pay on leaving in hotels I have stayed before . You should be able to consider this , unless the manager is a Liverpool supporter  , 😊 

I don't think the owner is a Liverpool owner.  I hope so anyway 😂

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 03:00, yobbo said:

SCB doesn't support cardless withdrawl?

I know with Kasikorn, you don't need your card to take money out of an ATM, just the phone app.

Hmm, I found this.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/digital-banking/scb-easy/how-to/cardless.html

Hi yobbo I've got two smartphones.  The main one I use in England and an older one I use in Thailand.  So the older one always has my thai sim in it.  Earlier this week I checked my thai phone and downloaded the SCB App.  After setting it up I tried to link the app to my account but sadly due to technical difficulties I couldnt link my account to the app.  I will try again in a few days time. If I can link my account to the app I will try to do a cardless withdrawl when I get to Thailand 

On 04/08/2022 at 03:09, Dutcher said:

If your hotel is making any problems, maybe it’s also an idea to offer them a temporary deposit in Pound notes, which they give back to you when you pay in baht. I assume you want to pay in baht because of the exchange rate.

The hotel are OK.  They know me as I have been staying there a long time 

They know my SCB ATM will expire before I arrive in Thailand.  So they said I am OK to just pay for my first night on arrival and pay for the other nights the next day.  

If anything the problem is with me as I always like to pay for my room in full the day I arrive. 

3 hours ago, blue1878 said:

I couldnt link my account to the app.  I will try again in a few days time. If I can link my account to the app I will try to do a cardless withdrawl when I get to Thailand 

Worst case, after you get here bring your phone to an SCB branch office and they will set up the app for you. 

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2022 at 06:18, Atlas said:

Mate,

Unless you get a card with your name on it, they will just give you a new one for a 300bt fee (I think). As others have said, get yourself the app, go through the ID process and you ar ready to roll. I can't recall the last time I paid anything with a card, it's all done mostly by QR codes now :)

And to think I remember lining up at work to get paid in cash, back in the day :D 

Getting the SCB app is a good so a few weeks ago I downloaded the app and then tried to connect to my account.  Sadly I was unable to cooect my account to my smartphone app.  I tried a few times and it just didnt happen.  I even tried adding my account to the app with my thai sim in my smartphone and failed.  So I sent an email to SCB telling them of my problem.  Below is there reply:

Firstly, please allow us to apologize for this problem you experienced with using our service

We would like to inform that you are unable to add SCB easy application to a new device while your are in oversea because you add a new device need to do with a Thai register sim so it can be detected a mobile operator in Thailand in order to verify information using SCB easy application with a new device.

So I will have to wait till I arrive in Thailand in December to add my account to the SCB app

• Like 2

On 03/08/2022 at 12:18, Atlas said:

Mate,

The old days were the best 😁.I take it you would have had a little slip of paper with it too what we called a “payslip”.Check if they had got your correct hours worked and all that.

Edited by Gaztop08