IGNORED

British Airways

Rainsberger

Hi Guys

British Airways has announced that it is not renewing its London to Bangkok service later this year nor is there any guarantee the UK airline will resume the service in March 2023 as it focuses its resources on the more profitable London to Singapore route.

This announcement during the week comes with reports that Thai Airways which has increased its daily passenger rate by over 600% since the beginning of the year is planning to operate a charter flight service with UK travel agents to cater for an inherent demand in the United Kingdom with people interested in holidaying in Thailand. The news comes as airport officials and tourist chiefs in the kingdom held urgent meetings this week to see if flight connectivity to the kingdom can be improved with fears that it will be 2026 before the country’s vital foreign tourism sector returns to normal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They announced this around 3 months ago that they wouldn't be starting flights in Oct 2022 as planned, and it would be sometime in 2023 at the earliest

• Like 2

That really is bad news - I have about 600 quid's worth of BA vouchers expiring next September so hopefully will be back up and running to BKK by then

Just now, PR1977 said:

That really is bad news - I have about 600 quid's worth of BA vouchers expiring next September so hopefully will be back up and running to BKK by then

Ask them for a cash refund - you can get one and then chose who you fly with.

33 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

They announced this around 3 months ago that they wouldn't be starting flights in Oct 2022 as planned, and it would be sometime in 2023 at the earliest

You booked your flight yet pal ?

2 minutes ago, tt2008 said:

Ask them for a cash refund - you can get one and then chose who you fly with.

Wasn't actually aware that was possible once the vouchers were issued but I will get on it

8 hours ago, Rainsberger said:

This announcement during the week comes with reports that Thai Airways which has increased its daily passenger rate by over 600% since the beginning of the year is planning to operate a charter flight service with UK travel agents to cater for an inherent demand in the United Kingdom with people interested in holidaying in Thailand. The news comes as airport officials and tourist chiefs in the kingdom held urgent meetings this week to see if flight connectivity to the kingdom can be improved with fears that it will be 2026 before the country’s vital foreign tourism sector returns to normal.

Are there any more details? Thaiair were on the verge of flying Manchester - BKK direct but then covid hit. Just wondering what they are thinking of doing if they want to expand services from UK.

On 28/07/2022 at 11:45, Rainsberger said:

This announcement during the week comes with reports that Thai Airways which has increased its daily passenger rate by over 600% since the beginning of the year is planning to operate a charter flight service with UK travel agents to cater for an inherent demand in the United Kingdom with people interested in holidaying in Thailand. 

"over 600% since the beginning of the year" ?

That's more than 7 times their occupancy in January, from Heathrow or totally worldwide?

How did they get that increase of take off/landing slots (if Heathrow)? 

Thai Airways may have increased their passenger rate by 600% since the beginning of the the year but remember that is an increase coming off of a very low base. At the beginning of the year, there were many travel restictions for Brits to leave the country as well as Thailand imposing their own entry restictions. All in all, people only travelled if they really, really needed too, tourist travel would have been minimal

• Like 2

can anyone remember who did the charter flights to u tapao from uk I just remember they stopped in one of the middle east countries for an hour to be refuelled then took off again must be 15 or 20 years ago .

Intasun holidays were the tour operator 

Not sure but it could have been Air Europe as the carrier

Tui (previously as Britannia Airways) have been flying winter-charters from the UK (& Scandinavia ?) to Phuket for a couple-of-decades now, nice to see Thai Airways finally realising the opportunity exists, and I always wondered why they never had a route from Manchester  ...  lack of commercial-awareness was all I could attribute it to ! 🙄

BA could easily run flights from Gatwick, using their cattle-truck tourist-oriented older-B777s, as well as the Caribbean routes they're normally used on  ...  instead I've seen them go from a daily B747 to the smaller shabbier B772, and now not even that. 

Charter-airlines do seem more-flexible, and faster on their feet, to offer capacity where they think they can fill it !

7 hours ago, septicusglutinus said:

can anyone remember who did the charter flights to u tapao from uk I just remember they stopped in one of the middle east countries for an hour to be refuelled then took off again must be 15 or 20 years ago .

Around 1988, when we had Pattaya Fever badly, one of my mates booked a trip through a travel agent, which turned out to be on a charter flight.

I remember him telling me, the first time he realised they were not landing in Bangkok was when he could see Pattaya from his window on the plane, and he landed in U-Tapao.

I am not sure, but i think that was Monarch Airlines.

• 1 year later...

https://bnnbreaking.com/world/uk/british-airways-announces-return-to-bangkok-kuala-lumpur-with-exciting-passenger-experience-upgrades

British Airways Announces Return to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur with Exciting Passenger Experience Upgrades
04 Mar 2024

British Airways is set to resume flights to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur on October 28 and November 10, respectively, marking a significant return to Far East Asia since the pandemic's onset in early 2020. The airline's CEO, Sean Doyle, announced the resumption along with a series of passenger experience enhancements during a London event on Monday, spotlighting the airline's £7 billion investment aimed at revitalizing its service offerings and fleet.

After a strategic pause focused on strengthening its transatlantic routes, British Airways is expanding eastwards, reintroducing services to key Asian destinations. The decision comes as the airline seeks to balance its network and meet the demands of its global clientele. Flights to Bangkok will operate thrice weekly from London Gatwick, while the Kuala Lumpur route will enjoy daily service from London Heathrow. These resumptions reflect British Airways' commitment to reconnecting with Asia, acknowledging the region's importance in the global travel landscape.

At the heart of British Airways' announcement is a comprehensive £7 billion investment plan, emphasizing customer satisfaction and operational efficiency. The forthcoming improvements include the launch of a new, functional website and mobile app, expected to enhance customer experience with features like automatic voucher distribution during disruptions. New Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft will join the fleet, equipped with updated seating and power outlets, although a retrofit program for existing aircraft remains unconfirmed. First Class travelers can anticipate a new suite design set to debut on refurbished Airbus A380s by late 2025, promising an elevated level of luxury and comfort.

Immediate enhancements awaiting British Airways' travelers include free Wi-Fi messaging for Executive Club members starting April, aiming to keep passengers connected seamlessly. The airline also revealed plans for new premium airport lounges in Dubai and Miami, set to introduce a refreshed and luxurious lounge concept. Beyond physical upgrades, British Airways is focusing on improving operational reliability and on-time performance, addressing frequent flyer concerns and aiming for service excellence.

As British Airways embarks on its journey to redefine travel standards, the resumption of flights to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur not only signals a strategic network expansion but also serves as a testament to the airline's resilience and dedication to offering an unmatched travel experience. With significant investments in both its fleet and passenger services, British Airways is poised to navigate the complexities of the post-pandemic travel landscape, setting a new benchmark for global aviation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

revitalizing its service offerings and fleet.

I wonder if this includes changing the obnoxious cabin crews that always managed to be on my flights up until 1998 when I vowed NEVER to use them again.

How come when airlines upgrade themselves and services it's only for business and first class no mention of cattle class improvements

1 hour ago, atst said:

How come when airlines upgrade themselves and services it's only for business and first class no mention of cattle class improvements

Because the money comes from up front and frequent flyer program members.

Case in point, American Airlines announced today that 80% of its revenue will come from loyalty program members and passengers in premium cabins (it was 70% in 2017).

1 hour ago, ICanand IWill said:

I wonder if this includes changing the obnoxious cabin crews that always managed to be on my flights up until 1998 when I vowed NEVER to use them again.

Likewise for me... and Qantas too  ... lousy airlines

ผีเสื้อ

Not on sale yet?

3 hours ago, discrete said:

Likewise for me... and Qantas too  ... lousy airlines

lol yes so lousy that Qantas has never lost an aircraft in the modern jet age .......

15 minutes ago, KyleReading said:

lol yes so lousy that Qantas has never lost an aircraft in the modern jet age .......

I was not referring to the aircraft maintenance and pilot skills.  I am talking about the passenger experience ... utter junk and I still have a Qantas Club life membership that will remain unused forever.

As far as not losing an aircraft, there has been a big element of luck in that statistic.  There have been quite a few incidents (varying kinds) over the years... Here is just the first one I could find (there are others)  https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/qantas-emirates-planes-involved-in-near-miss-at-melbourne-airport/z6ri4mg79

And another.  https://7news.com.au/spotlight/captain-kevin-sullivan-saves-315-people-on-board-qf72-c-138996

Edited by discrete

ผีเสื้อ

would this make flights a bit more cheaper from heathrow ? with only thai and eva flying direct ?

6 hours ago, LoneCelt said:

Not on sale yet?

They are now. Sample price £3255 business class return Nov-Jan. Don't think I'll be doing this.

9 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Because the money comes from up front and frequent flyer program members.

Case in point, American Airlines announced today that 80% of its revenue will come from loyalty program members and passengers in premium cabins (it was 70% in 2017).

Well I'm surprised I thought the few hundred in cattle class were subsiding the few in the front, you learn something every day, especially if you are a P.A

5 hours ago, KyleReading said:

Except this one... at Bangkok no less....

Technically the airframe was a write-off but Qantas paid more than its value to have it repaired to maintain their reputation (source wikipedia)

image.thumb.png.4da01d2de74e441f84927d7753a99c16.png

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!