Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

July 2022 Looking for best BIZ class flights USA to BKK

madmike

Hi Guys,

We all know flying isn't getting cheaper.  I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to fly from Phoenix AZ to BKK in biz class.  BIZ class means all access to the aisle and lay flat seats.  BTW I don't need BiZ from PHX to say LAX or SFO etc.  My previous travel was typically PHX-LAX on a seperate ticket than one of the Asian airlines via one stop to BKK.  In the past I was usually able to get these LAX-BKK flights for around $4000 and keep any layovers to 2-4 hours.

Right now it looks like my best bets are ANA or Asiana for more like $4600 RT. 

Anyone knows a beter way to travel from here I'm all ears.  BTW I am looking at early January for travel return mid March.

35 minutes ago, madmike said:

Hi Guys,

We all know flying isn't getting cheaper.  I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to fly from Phoenix AZ to BKK in biz class.  BIZ class means all access to the aisle and lay flat seats.  BTW I don't need BiZ from PHX to say LAX or SFO etc.  My previous travel was typically PHX-LAX on a seperate ticket than one of the Asian airlines via one stop to BKK.  In the past I was usually able to get these LAX-BKK flights for around $4000 and keep any layovers to 2-4 hours.

Anyone knows a beter way to travel from here I'm all ears.  BTW I am looking at early January for travel return mid March.

I'm sure you are aware, but Airfares are minimum 25% higher for everyone right now. 

1.  Best value right now is using  miles/points.

Your 2 best bet is to  book a ticket from a major hub, and then book your phx- to major hub ticket separately.

3.  Set up price alerts on Google flights for multiple flights options.

if alliance / status doesn't matter, I read a few people who recently booked Phillipines Airlines as their cheapest options.

Good luck.

Edited by HimBadMan

I was just reading an article on "the most underrated airline to Asia". Philippine air. Cheapest I've found at the moment. 4,000 rt.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en

They have the old 2-3-2 on the triple 7. Not so great if you're in a middle seat.

Finnair is another option out of DFW or LAX, but they are $4300 atm.

Edited by SlowlyMan

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

I'm sure you are aware, but Airfares are minimum 25% higher for everyone right now. 

1.  Best value right now is using  miles/points.

Your 2 best bet is to  book a ticket from a major hub, and then book your phx- to major hub ticket separately.

3.  Set up price alerts on Google flights for multiple flights options.

if alliance / status doesn't matter, I read a few people who recently booked Phillipines Airlines as their cheapest options.

Good luck.

Thanks.  Yeah I have been for years flying from PHX to either LAX or SEA on a separate ticket to get the best long haul flights.  I will look into the google flights thing.  Not familiar with it.

On Phillipines Air the issue is - it isn't really business class.  Their version is 2-3-2 seating and angle flat seats.  That is a far cry from lie flat 1-2-1 seating.  I just can not travel that long rubbing elbows with someone else and having to ask to go to the bathroom or having them wake me up (if I actually manage to sleep on an angle flat seat). 

1 hour ago, SlowlyMan said:

I was just reading an article on "the most underrated airline to Asia". Philippine air. Cheapest I've found at the moment. 4,000 rt.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en

They have the old 2-3-2 on the triple 7. Not so great if you're in a middle seat.

Finnair is another option out of DFW or LAX, but they are $4300 atm.

THANKS.  Yeah I'm just not up for the 2-3-2 seating in angle flat seats on Phioipines Air.    Finnair was interesting until I realized how much longer the trip was to save a few hundred dollars. 

So far it seems ANA is the deal.  About $4400 RT LAX-BKK in real 1-2-1 lie flat pods with reasonable connections and arrival times.  One other aspect I didn't mention is since I do what HimBadMan suggests (book a flight to my major hub) I need to make sure my arrival back in the USA is within a time that allows onward flight home to PHX or I have to factor in a hotel on arrival.  For example I think Asiana arrives in LAX too late to get home that night.  And I really don't want to sleep in the airport.

I would check fares outta LAX, SFO, Seattle and San Diego.

Some may not check San Diego, but I am pretty sure hey have one-stop service on JAL.

Another option would be going the other direction to start and seeing if AA has anything out of DFW.

Like @HimBadMan, I am a miles whore, so I;m always looking for award availability, as opposed to lower prices.

Whatever airline you choose, be sure to credit the miles to an appropriate program. For example, ANA has a decent program, or, if you fly domestically, you could credit the miles to United and try to build that towards a future freebie.

• Like 2

FWIW, I just ran a search on Kayak.com, leaving Jan. 4, coming back Mar. 15, searching for fares +/- 3 days from both dates.

Cheapest I saw was Cathay at a little over $4700, but that was to/from Phoenix, so no need to get a separate ticket in/out of the connecting city.

Quite a few options in the $5,000 range.

Although more expensive, the value of traveling on the same itinerary is that your later legs can/will be rescheduled if you miss them due to a delay. If you miss a connection on a separate itinerary, you generally are shit outta luck.

Don't know if this link will populate through my search, but I suggest playing around with the dates on Kayak to see what you can find out of and back into Phoenix.

https://www.kayak.com/flights/PHX-BKK/2023-01-04-flexible-3days/2023-03-15-flexible-3days/business?sort=price_a

7 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I would check fares outta LAX, SFO, Seattle and San Diego.

Some may not check San Diego, but I am pretty sure hey have one-stop service on JAL.

Another option would be going the other direction to start and seeing if AA has anything out of DFW.

Like @HimBadMan, I am a miles whore, so I;m always looking for award availability, as opposed to lower prices.

Whatever airline you choose, be sure to credit the miles to an appropriate program. For example, ANA has a decent program, or, if you fly domestically, you could credit the miles to United and try to build that towards a future freebie.

Great info.  I live in San Diego but will be flying out of LAX to BKK via TPE in three weeks.  I think the price was $1400ish when I booked the flights and I used my United where it cost me 84k miles and $50.  I can live with that deal.  

• Like 2

JAL out of San Diego looks very expensive.  If I did it right.  Lol.

Tue 3 JanTuesday, January 3, 2023   11:5511:55 AM
San Diego 
(San Diego International Airport Terminal  2)
OpenShow details
Wed 4 JanWednesday, January 4, 2023   23:3511:35 PM

Return flight

Thu 19 JanThursday, January 19, 2023   09:559:55 AM
OpenShow details
Fri 20 JanFriday, January 20, 2023   09:559:55 AM
San Diego 
( San Diego International Airport Terminal  2)

Price summary

• 1 adultAdult x1$ 6,310.00 (USD) 

• Fuel and insurance surcharge$ 233.60 (USD) 

Open
Taxes$ 119.67 (USD) 
  •  

•  

Total$ 6,663.27 (

11 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

FWIW, I just ran a search on Kayak.com, leaving Jan. 4, coming back Mar. 15, searching for fares +/- 3 days from both dates.

Cheapest I saw was Cathay at a little over $4700, but that was to/from Phoenix, so no need to get a separate ticket in/out of the connecting city.

Quite a few options in the $5,000 range.

Although more expensive, the value of traveling on the same itinerary is that your later legs can/will be rescheduled if you miss them due to a delay. If you miss a connection on a separate itinerary, you generally are shit outta luck.

Don't know if this link will populate through my search, but I suggest playing around with the dates on Kayak to see what you can find out of and back into Phoenix.

https://www.kayak.com/flights/PHX-BKK/2023-01-04-flexible-3days/2023-03-15-flexible-3days/business?sort=price_a

Thanks.  That is what I've been doing for years and great advice.  I love Cathay and was always hesitant to use them because usually the return flight arrived in LAX at 10 PM meaning I had to spend the night there to get home to PHX.  But I just discovered they have another flight arriving at 1:20 PM which works for me.

I don't actually buy thru Kayak or their affiliates though.  OK, I like the recourse of having bought directly with the airline so I use kayak searches to find the best deals and then pay a little more (sometimes not more) thru their websites.  I find it assures me my definition of business class is the same as who I am buying from.  And I can choose a seat and not get bumped.  Has worked for me for 20 years and money well spent.

Right now you are bang on pricing.  I see a low of $4000 to highs of "I'm not paying".  ANA, Asiana and Cathay seem to be the leaders and LAX the best option. 

Curious if any of you have used the Air China. 

5 minutes ago, madmike said:

Thanks.  That is what I've been doing for years and great advice.  I love Cathay and was always hesitant to use them because usually the return flight arrived in LAX at 10 PM meaning I had to spend the night there to get home to PHX.  But I just discovered they have another flight arriving at 1:20 PM which works for me.

I don't actually buy thru Kayak or their affiliates though.  OK, I like the recourse of having bought directly with the airline so I use kayak searches to find the best deals and then pay a little more (sometimes not more) thru their websites.  I find it assures me my definition of business class is the same as who I am buying from.  And I can choose a seat and not get bumped.  Has worked for me for 20 years and money well spent.

Right now you are bang on pricing.  I see a low of $4000 to highs of "I'm not paying".  ANA, Asiana and Cathay seem to be the leaders and LAX the best option. 

Curious if any of you have used the Air China. 

When I am paying for a ticket, I use a similar search pattern - find the best fares on Kayak, then go book with the airline.

Air China is the mainland Chinese airline based in Beijing. Not to be confused with China Air, which is Taiwanese.

I have read some fairly unpleasant things about Air China, so I avoid them. That said, no personal experience, so others may disagree and have pleasant experiences.

In any event, I would avoid a mainland Chinese carrier until COVID has settled down there. While Cathay presents a bit of a risk, I think going into Beijing as opposed to Hong Kong would present much greater risks.

I have flown China Southern (I think based out of Guangzhou) Biz class and it wasn't that bad, and I have read that China Eastern (I think based out of Shanghai) has a fairly modern fleet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

When I am paying for a ticket, I use a similar search pattern - find the best fares on Kayak, then go book with the airline.

Air China is the mainland Chinese airline based in Beijing. Not to be confused with China Air, which is Taiwanese.

I have read some fairly unpleasant things about Air China, so I avoid them. That said, no personal experience, so others may disagree and have pleasant experiences.

In any event, I would avoid a mainland Chinese carrier until COVID has settled down there. While Cathay presents a bit of a risk, I think going into Beijing as opposed to Hong Kong would present much greater risks.

I have flown China Southern (I think based out of Guangzhou) Biz class and it wasn't that bad, and I have read that China Eastern (I think based out of Shanghai) has a fairly modern fleet.

Yeah I know Air China is mainland carrier.  I have no idea what the costs are or if they even fly any routes of use to me.  I have tried using their webpage and it is useless.  Can't even get where they fly.  And I am also not a fan if flying thru the communist china.

China Air is supposed to be en excellent carrier ala EVA.  But both are significantly more than $5000 so no point.  Bummer as I used to fly EVA for years.

Think I'll check out China Eastern and Southern.  But I admit it will take a large price differential for me to risk flying with them.  The trust factor to anything from mainland China carriers is lacking here.  But always good to learn more.

Seems as if my research that I will probably have to pay around $4600 rt from LAX is the best there is.  Oh well.  I guess you can't take it with you. 

Just booked with ANA JFK to BKK business class in there new seat called the room was $3,702 r/t. only available on Wednesdays. other days extra $5 with stop in ORD or LAX

4 minutes ago, scubaadiver56 said:

Just booked with ANA JFK to BKK business class in there new seat called the room was $3,702 r/t. only available on Wednesdays. other days extra $5 with stop in ORD or LAX

Looks like a great seat:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/ana-new-business-class-the-room/

Well I just booked.  Kind of a knee jerk reaction thinking seats may not last.  I discovered a non-stop from Vancouver to BKK.  Including biz class flights from Phoenix RT and mostly short layovers (5 hours in Vancouver going there when I really don't want to miss that flight so it's OK).  Arrives in BKK at 6 AM.  I arrive back in PHX at 11:30.  All very civilized in 1-2-1 pod lie flat seats on 787s. 

OK I know you'll all ask the price.  Too much.  $5700 rt.  What can I say?  Every attempt at reducing pricing from the west coast was met with flight selections with extended layovers, or multiple stops, or in some cases not true biz class (ala Philippines Air).  Or I had to purchase my PHX to wherever separately which didn't allow me to check luggage all the way thru. 

I'll beat you all to it.  Overpay - YES.  By a little bit.  Non-stop - priceless.  😄

2 hours ago, madmike said:

Well I just booked.  Kind of a knee jerk reaction thinking seats may not last.  I discovered a non-stop from Vancouver to BKK.  Including biz class flights from Phoenix RT and mostly short layovers (5 hours in Vancouver going there when I really don't want to miss that flight so it's OK).  Arrives in BKK at 6 AM.  I arrive back in PHX at 11:30.  All very civilized in 1-2-1 pod lie flat seats on 787s. 

OK I know you'll all ask the price.  Too much.  $5700 rt.  What can I say?  Every attempt at reducing pricing from the west coast was met with flight selections with extended layovers, or multiple stops, or in some cases not true biz class (ala Philippines Air).  Or I had to purchase my PHX to wherever separately which didn't allow me to check luggage all the way thru. 

I'll beat you all to it.  Overpay - YES.  By a little bit.  Non-stop - priceless.  😄

I'm NEVER gonna tell someone they paid too much. There is a level of convenience that is well worth paying more on most occasions.

The only thing I would say is make sure you get the miles credit for that trip! 555

Curious to hear about that Vancouver to BKK non-stop. Anything that cuts out a stop is good. I plan to look into Korean Air from Las Vegas, since they have a non-stop from here to ICN. ICN to BKK isn't exactly a short hop, but, if the connection times don't suck TOO bad, cutting out a stop at SFO or LAX would be nice.

One note on re-checking bags when on a separate itinerary - if the airlines have a baggage sharing agreement, you can do it. If they are the same "alliance," they should be able to do it, but even some airlines that are not in the same alliance can do it.

My "positioning" flight from LAS to SFO was on Alaska (oneworld), but my ticket to BKK was on Singapore (Star Alliance). When I got to the airport in Las Vegas, I made a comment about having to re-check my bag at SFO, and the ticket agent told me Alaska and Singapore had a baggage agreement, so he could check it all the way through. I just had to show him my itinerary/confirmation number and he took care of it in less than 2 minutes.

On 27/07/2022 at 22:57, Luv2Phuket said:

The importance of this cannot be overstated, especially with the number of flights which are oversold or being cancelled.   

As noted below, even if the tickets are not on the same PNR, if the airlines have an interline agreement they should be able to check your bags  all the way through to your final destination (may need to specifically ask for this).  

3 hours ago, madmike said:

I think that is a fair price.  I’ve seen cheaper but also much higher.  Not unusual to pay five figures for TATL or TPAC business this summer.

Scheduling and comfort are most important for me at the moment. I avoid low tier airlines such as PAL for long haul routing. 

On 27/07/2022 at 20:07, Bob4678 said:

JAL out of San Diego looks very expensive.  If I did it right.  Lol.

Tue 3 JanTuesday, January 3, 2023   11:5511:55 AM
San Diego 
(San Diego International Airport Terminal  2)
OpenShow details
Wed 4 JanWednesday, January 4, 2023   23:3511:35 PM

Return flight

Thu 19 JanThursday, January 19, 2023   09:559:55 AM
OpenShow details
Fri 20 JanFriday, January 20, 2023   09:559:55 AM
San Diego 
( San Diego International Airport Terminal  2)

Price summary

• 1 adultAdult x1$ 6,310.00 (USD) 

• Fuel and insurance surcharge$ 233.60 (USD) 

Open
Taxes$ 119.67 (USD) 
  •  

•  

Total$ 6,663.27 (

JAL out of SAN is almost always more expensive than flying out of LAX, but just about the same if you include transportation costs to and from SAN/LAX 

One of the reasons they can charge the higher costs is because they do a LOT of business with the Navy and Marine Corps flying personnel to Japan.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, momo5 said:

As noted below, even if the tickets are not on the same PNR, if the airlines have an interline agreement they should be able to check your bags  all the way through to your final destination (may need to specifically ask for this).  

"Interline agreement" - THAT was the term I was looking for!  Thanks!

On 28/07/2022 at 01:59, madmike said:

Hi Guys,

Best and cheapest is without a doubt award tickets. Even if you don't have the points yourself, there are people on various travel forums across the world who offer to book award tickets with their own points in return for a moderate cash reimbursement. A roundtrip with Eva Air business(I regard them as one of the top 10 business class products) in their 777-300ER LAX-TPE-BKK for example, should be $1200 or less. Then you can book a connecting flight PHX-LAX for $220 eco, or $450 business. The only downside to award tickets is limited availability.

Just looking at award ticket availability on Star Alliance out of LAX:

Business
Dep Leg1 Leg2 Leg3 Seats Arr Dur
2023-01-01 23:05 BR:LAX-TPE BR:TPE-BKK   1 2023-01-03 10:30 20:25
2023-01-05 23:05 BR:LAX-TPE BR:TPE-BKK   2 2023-01-07 12:35 22:30
2023-01-06 23:30 BR:LAX-TPE BR:TPE-BKK   2 2023-01-08 10:30 20:00
2023-01-06 23:30 BR:LAX-TPE TG:TPE-BKK   2 2023-01-08 16:50 26:20
2023-01-07 23:30 BR:LAX-TPE BR:TPE-BKK   2 2023-01-09 12:35 22:05
2023-01-07 23:30 BR:LAX-TPE TG:TPE-BKK   2 2023-01-09 16:50 26:20

Business
Dep Leg1 Leg2 Leg3 Seats Arr Dur
2023-03-21 12:10 BR:BKK-TPE BR:TPE-LAX   1 2023-03-21 15:50 17:40

Slightly better availability with BKK-SFO return:

Business
Dep Leg1 Leg2 Leg3 Leg4 Seats Arr Dur
2023-03-17 12:10 BR:BKK-TPE BR:TPE-SFO     2 2023-03-17 15:50 17:40
2023-03-18 12:00 BR:BKK-TPE BR:TPE-SFO     1 2023-03-18 15:50 17:50
2023-03-20 12:00 BR:BKK-TPE BR:TPE-SFO     1 2023-03-20 15:50 17:50

Edited by Dingo Brax

I am flying Frontier from DIA to SFO on the 7th , then taking a Cathay Pacific flight from SFO to BKK. 

I am scheduled to arrive on Frontier in SFO at 2345 and scheduled Cathay departure from SFO to BKK is 0145. I will have ~1.5 hours to collect my baggage and then check it into my Cathay flight and reach the gate before it closes. 

Unfortunately, Frontier has no interline agreements , but considering it will be middle of night and presumably  not many people at SFO at 2400,  I think I will have enough time considering everything , would  you concur ? 

2 minutes ago, Ronniecruize said:

I am flying Frontier from DIA to SFO on the 7th , then taking a Cathay Pacific flight from SFO to BKK. 

I am scheduled to arrive on Frontier in SFO at 2345 and scheduled Cathay departure from SFO to BKK is 0145. I will have ~1.5 hours to collect my baggage and then check it into my Cathay flight and reach the gate before it closes. 

Unfortunately, Frontier has no interline agreements , but considering it will be middle of night and presumably  not many people at SFO at 2400,  I think I will have enough time considering everything , would  you concur ? 

Keep in mind at some point prior scheduled departure they will not allow luggage to be checked in.  60 minutes is typical, but you should check with the airline.

• Thanks 1

I err on the side of having too much time, so no way I would try that. I would rather kill time in an airport than risk missing my connection.

In my experience, SFO baggage claim took quite a while, but I was coming in from an International flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1