IGNORED

Tight connection in Vienna

jimboh

Am flying to BKK via Vienna with Austrian airways. It will be my first time with them.

I fly into Vienna and only have 30min to get onto the BKK flight.

Is this doable? I suspect so, as the sold me the ticket.

But what if I miss the flight, what happens? 

I had a 40 minute connection and queried it with Austrian London office. They said no problem only need 25 minutes. As a UK passport holder travelling Heathrow to Bangkok only a small portion of the airport is accessible, non Schengen flights.

The reality, I was business class seated in row 3 on an A320 out of Heathrow. Door opened and I was off like a greyhound only to find a gigantic bendy-bus at the foot of the stairs. It was big enough to take all passengers and it waited till the last idle git sauntered off the plane. A short trip and into the building. Within a further 10 minutes I was at the outbound gate, no security checks or x rays required. My luggage also kept up, it was at BKK carousel shortly after I cleared Immigration.

• Like 2

The MCT (minimum connection time) in Vienna is very short actually, I remember reading a recent thread on the TA Air Forum recently about this

Obviously if you have both flights on the same booking, if you miss the 2nd flight, the airline will put you on the next flight with an available seat

Hope you booked this direct with the airline & not a 3rd party agent

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jimboh said:

Am flying to BKK via Vienna with Austrian airways. It will be my first time with them.

I fly into Vienna and only have 30min to get onto the BKK flight.

Is this doable? I suspect so, as the sold me the ticket.

But what if I miss the flight, what happens? 

Check your two flights history to see how they go on departure and arrivals times.You have 7 days free history check.

https://uk.flightaware.com

I think you’ll be fine. My only suggestion would be to take a change of clothes in your carry on bag just in case your luggage doesn’t make the transfer.  It’s happened to me a number of times with short layovers. 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2022 at 01:24, jaynewcastle said:

Hope you booked this direct with the airline & not a 3rd party agent

Yes, booked direct with Austrian and am traveling from Spain