IGNORED

Koh Samui advice...

asianbrizz

Welcome aboard my man! 

Full disclosure: I think I might be responsible for this lad now looking around this so-called gentlemanly forum.

Also, I'm not sure I would ever have achieved monger status if it wasn't for hooking up with this Bangkok legend.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/05/2022 at 11:34, asianbrizz said:

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, but I've been in Thailand almost a decade now. Moved from BKK to Koh Samui about a year ago, and I'm loving this place. It's a beautiful island holiday away from the hustle and bustle, but there are still some pockets of nightlife here and there. Even with COVID ripping through Thailand, there are good spots for ladies here, and if you like your ladies a little more tanned, this is the place to be. 

Chaweng has a couple of great spots: Soi Green Mango (unofficially named after the Green Mango bar, at one end of the soi) has beer bars and a bunch of spots where you can play pool, and even a disco or two in the back. Not far away, Soi Reggae is a small strip of beer bars that are starting to get busier by the week...COVID slowed everything to a crawl, but things are picking up and you can find great fun in these spots in Chaweng.

If you prefer the southern tip of the island, there are a number of great spots in Lamai, along Soi Had Lamai. Beer bars, lots of place with pool tables, and a couple bigger spots with live bands. There are also two spots with circular, open-air bars built around a bar in the center, in traditional Pattaya style. One spot with a few bars behind the McDonald's on Soi Had Lamai, and one more spot about 100m south of that. 

Kph Samui is quiet, but if you want an island getaway with a bit of nightlife thrown in for good measure, it's a great location. There is lots of good food all over the place. You'll likely need to ride your own motorbike, but it's fairly easy compared to BKK or Patts...no traffic lights to speak of, and a large ring road encircles the entire island (which you can circumnavigate in less than 2 hours). There are taxis and songtaews, but a motorbike is certainly my recommendation.

I'm happy to help anyone who wants more information or advice, so hit me up here or by private message. If you make it down and want to meet up for a Sangsom, we might be able to arrange that, too.

Thinking of heading to Koh Samui for a few days, but bringing "talent" with me.

Are the nightlife spots enough to keep a TG happy?

Neither of us have any interest in diving, so I was concerned we (well....SHE! 555) would be bored out of our skulls, even with a short trip of about 3 days.

I am petrified of motorbikes, so what is the taxi/songtaew situation like? Is Bolt or Grab available?

5 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Thinking of heading to Koh Samui for a few days, but bringing "talent" with me.

Are the nightlife spots enough to keep a TG happy?

Neither of us have any interest in diving, so I was concerned we (well....SHE! 555) would be bored out of our skulls, even with a short trip of about 3 days.

I am petrified of motorbikes, so what is the taxi/songtaew situation like? Is Bolt or Grab available?

Just go to Chaweng, more than enough to keep you busy there. The nightlife is good, especially around Soi Green Mango

7 minutes ago, jimmydragon said:

Just go to Chaweng, more than enough to keep you busy there. The nightlife is good, especially around Soi Green Mango

I haven't been there for a long while but chaweng entertainment areas are easy to navigate on foot. If you don't handle bikes then rent a car for the day and tour around the island, there are lots of nice places to visit.

Some rental places will let you return the car at airport so if you do the rental at the end of the trip you can avoid the cost of taxi.

I remember when I was in Phuket the cost of renting a car for one day was cheaper than the taxi trip from the airport.

• 6 months later...

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one. Thinking of squeezing 4-5 nights in Samui in between BKK & Pattaya, just for beach side rest and relaxation with a bit of fun on the side.

Chaweng by all accounts is the place to be, being a nocturnal guy don't like the other more sedate places that are often recommended in Samui. Chaweng seems central enough location too.

Any suggestions/inputs for girl friendly hotels in & around the beach front, a bit of a walk is not hassle either. About 2k baht?

Koh Samui being a more touristy/family oriented island, hence not sure if the hotels are largely joiner friendly, unlike Pattaya.

................................................................................................................

Ark bar is for sure guest friendly. There is some lists online if you google it, but it's nowhere complete and a bit outdated (pre covid), so not sure how accurate it is. I recently stayed at a 5 star hotel at Chaweng beach, but they had a hefty joiner fee at 2000 baht when I asked them.

I think the best is to find a couple options and then send them an email asking.

44 minutes ago, FarangBear said:

Ark bar is for sure guest friendly. There is some lists online if you google it, but it's nowhere complete and a bit outdated (pre covid), so not sure how accurate it is. I recently stayed at a 5 star hotel at Chaweng beach, but they had a hefty joiner fee at 2000 baht when I asked them.

I think the best is to find a couple options and then send them an email asking.

Yeah, know about Ark Bar but it seems to be unlisted in the usual reservation sites like Agoda/Booking.

Somehow, not very confident about expecting a reply mail to the joiner friendly question. For some in Thailand service industry, it seems replying to customer emails is equivalent to re-inventing the wheel.

................................................................................................................

3 minutes ago, 1tooth said:

I'm interested in visiting this island. Do police stop bikes routinely like they do in Pattaya?

Yes

5 hours ago, FROST MEDIC999 said:

Yes

personal experience? you're certain? 

last time i've asked someone who was there for a few weeks (but that was 3-4 months ago) he said he wasn't stopped once. can't remember who it was though, maybe @LASportsNut ? 

maybe i misremember? 

i'm thinking about a potential trip there as well and this question plays quite a large factor (unfortunately).

• Like 1

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

9 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

9 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Yeah, know about Ark Bar but it seems to be unlisted in the usual reservation sites like Agoda/Booking.

Somehow, not very confident about expecting a reply mail to the joiner friendly question. For some in Thailand service industry, it seems replying to customer emails is equivalent to re-inventing the wheel.

Think it's just reopened a couple of days ago 

Edited by Stillearly

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

22 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Think it's just reopened a couple of days ago 

They did advertise with free rooms last week. But I think you need to send them email through their website for booking as they do not have online booking.

35 minutes ago, petehoax said:

last time i've asked someone who was there for a few weeks (but that was 3-4 months ago) he said he wasn't stopped once. can't remember who it was though, maybe @LASportsNut ? 

maybe i misremember? 

i'm thinking about a potential trip there as well and this question plays quite a large factor (unfortunately).

Yep positive. 

Favourite place to set up stops is road leading to fisherman's village and temples top end chaweng and down road from ferry landing at other end of island and the hill either out chaweng or bottom hill towards grandfather rock..

14 hours ago, petehoax said:

maybe i misremember? 

It was not me.

Though I have visited Koh Samui on three occasions, I have always worn a helmet when I rent motorbikes there.

I have also not seen any police activity related to helmets, however I am not saying it does or does not occur.

• Like 2

Been here 3 weeks.   Not seen any police stops.   But seen 4 motorcycles accidents!!! 

young European guys and girls who are not used to riding motorbikes

On 22/12/2022 at 14:17, 1tooth said:

I'm interested in visiting this island. Do police stop bikes routinely like they do in Pattaya?

On 22/12/2022 at 20:14, petehoax said:

maybe i misremember? 

On 23/12/2022 at 12:08, nunchuck said:

Been here 3 weeks.   Not seen any police stops.   But seen 4 motorcycles accidents!!! 

young European guys and girls who are not used to riding motorbikes

Police stops everywhere in Thailand when they are so inclined, especially at peak holiday seasons. Being somewhere for a few weeks and not seeing one is no indication that they don’t occur.

Likewise accidents everywhere…. Thailand is among the highest in the world for road fatality rate, with Samui and Phuket being among the highest in Thailand.

Take care whenever you are out on the road. Wear a helmet that fits, and carry the appropriate licence at all times. Won’t make you immune from accidents or police checks, but can substantially reduces the consequences of an unplanned stoppage.

• Like 2

On the helmets, I got stopped the last time I was there (Chaweng). What a pain in the ass it was as I only had 200 baht on me as I was on the way to the gym, and planned to go to the ATM after the gym. Was a 500 baht fine, I tried to give them the 200 and they refused it.

They made me sit around for ages as I didn't have enough, eventually letting me go so that I could go get money to pay them. When letting me go to get the money, they took my rucksack with my gym stuff in it to make sure I came back for it. 

On 17/06/2022 at 22:24, Luv2Phuket said:

Thinking of heading to Koh Samui for a few days, but bringing "talent" with ?

Don’t know if you care but flights to samui will be dearer that other destinations.

I’m my experience Phuket is a great place for a week or so with a TG. Loads of good food , quiet beaches and then can go mad in walking Patong if u so wish.

Big Buddah there is pretty nice too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finishing up my trip and Patong and headed to krabi and then koh samui. Any recommendations for guest friendly hotels with pools would be appreciated for both destinations.

the police have been checking for helmets and drivers licenses everywhere I've been in Phuket. main activity focused around noon in city center of Patong by bangla road and on the road form Patong to kata breach on the hill. same with the other direction to kamala. no helmet fine is steep heard like 5000 baht but I never got one. no drivers license fine is 1000. they do honor the international drivers permit with the correct A stamp for bikes. had mine checked like 20 times no complaints.

1 hour ago, Mr.Lahey said:

I'm finishing up my trip and Patong and headed to krabi and then koh samui. Any recommendations for guest friendly hotels with pools would be appreciated for both destinations.

I usually stay at the Weekender in Lamai , and the Ao Nang orchid in Krabi 

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

• 3 weeks later...

Back in May. 

Dog shit alley is calling my name 😊. OGs should know it well. Lamai Lamai! 😘

• 1 month later...
On 04/01/2023 at 15:20, Bluedumdadee said:

I’m my experience Phuket is a great place for a week or so with a TG. Loads of good food , quiet beaches and then can go mad in walking Patong if u so wish.

Big Buddah there is pretty nice too.

So, would you then recommend Phuket over KS?  I haven't been to either, but spent lot of time in Bkk and Pattaya.....

1 hour ago, Ronrico said:

So, would you then recommend Phuket over KS?  I haven't been to either, but spent lot of time in Bkk and Pattaya.....

I've been to Samui three times, (in 1992 [not a monger yet, 200 baht beachfront bungalow, met a lot of fun budget travelers], 1997 [honeymoon], and 2010 [my Thai girl cought me cheating and this along with half a baht of gold was part of the damage settlement]).  It is now shamelessly overbuilt with 2 and 3 story resorty hotels.

I've been to Phuket over 10 times since 2007 and the natural beauty there is unparalelled.  If you want to party go to Patong, if you want a more quiet, spectacular coastline head to the the southern tip of the island.  The sweet breakers rolling off the Indian Ocean where they meet granite mountains there make it my choice hands down.

"If a man could fuck a woman in a cardboard box, he wouldn't buy a house". - Dave Chappelle

13 hours ago, hoback said:

I've been to Phuket over 10 times since 2007 and the natural beauty there is unparalelled.  If you want to party go to Patong, if you want a more quiet, spectacular coastline head to the the southern tip of the island.  The sweet breakers rolling off the Indian Ocean where they meet granite mountains there make it my choice hands down.

Thanks, and I will definitely check out the southern part of the island!