IGNORED

The Premier League

todder

ok guys, i have heard many times from sky sports, that the prem has the best players in the world???

that they are the most skilful players ever???

i have a different view...........i find it poor quality football, not even close to the quality of football we had i the 70s :Thanks3:

todays players can hardly control a ball, the better wingers cant even cross a decent ball,

maybe i am becoming an old fart, i dont know?

what do you guys think of todays football in the prem?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• money number 1

• Siam Sam

• blett1111

• my_name_mark_u_like_me

Hard to say mate.

Modern prem footballers cover more than twice the distance their 70's conterparts did in a game.

Fitness and physcial preperation is much higher.

The game is played at a much higher rate. Players don't have the time on the ball they used to.

The result is much faster paced but maybe less visually appealing.

Kinda fits with the short attention spam generation we have now.

Edited by hazze

Hard to say mate.

Modern prem footballers cover more than twice the distance their 70's conterparts did in a game.

Fitness and physcial preperation is much higher.

The game is played at a much higher rate. Players don't have the time on the ball they used to.

The result is much faster paced but maybe less visually appealing.

Kinda fits with the short attention spam generation we have now.

hi hazze,

you are right about the pace of the game, it is much quicker now, but surely this does not excuse the lack of basic skills for a footballer?

i watched a couple of games recently, and there were two bad tackles in the matches, but these bad injuries would not have happened if the guys had better ball control.

ok guys, i have heard many times from sky sports, that the prem has the best players in the world???

that they are the most skilful players ever???

i have a different view...........i find it poor quality football, not even close to the quality of football we had i the 70s :Oops1:

todays players can hardly control a ball, the better wingers cant even cross a decent ball,

maybe i am becoming an old fart, i dont know?

what do you guys think of todays football in the prem?

Time to change your team mate. At WHL i don´t wonder if they can´t control a ball. Look Anfield for the answer about the pl :Clap8:

I believe that the game changed a lot over the years and it can't really be compared with the game they played that long ago.

The players nowadays are more skilled and they run faster, while the players back then were true hard workers with a true heart for the team.

Adrie.

hi hazze,

you are right about the pace of the game, it is much quicker now, but surely this does not excuse the lack of basic skills for a footballer?

i watched a couple of games recently, and there were two bad tackles in the matches, but these bad injuries would not have happened if the guys had better ball control.

lack of skills players have nowadays! are you joking,i have seen some of the best goals ive ever saw in the premiership this year and 1 of them was from a defender from about 30 yards out on the volley now that is a skill in its self. The premiership has been the most exciting this year for the past 20 years it is close at the top of the table and close at the bottom,last year all the player awards went to ronaldo who is the best player i have ever seen,also the balls they use nowadays are easier to control than they were years ago so i dont know what football you have been watching recently but it defiently has,nt been the premiership if you think the players lack in skill!

Time to change your team mate. At WHL i don´t wonder if they can´t control a ball. Look Anfield for the answer about the pl :HaHaHa1:

pool are playing well at the moment heiko, but imo the football was much better in the 70s :Oops1::Clap8:

welcome to the board mate.

I believe that the game changed a lot over the years and it can't really be compared with the game they played that long ago.

The players nowadays are more skilled and they run faster, while the players back then were true hard workers with a true heart for the team.

Adrie.

i agree the game is much quicker now days, but there were many skillful players in the 70s, every team had one or two star players, even the lower teams.

lack of skills players have nowadays! are you joking,i have seen some of the best goals ive ever saw in the premiership this year and 1 of them was from a defender from about 30 yards out on the volley now that is a skill in its self. The premiership has been the most exciting this year for the past 20 years it is close at the top of the table and close at the bottom,last year all the player awards went to ronaldo who is the best player i have ever seen,also the balls they use nowadays are easier to control than they were years ago so i dont know what football you have been watching recently but it defiently has,nt been the premiership if you think the players lack in skill!

some prem players lack the basic skills, that is for sure, defenders have been scoring goals as long as i remember, as for the balls being easier now days just backs up my arguement :Oops1:

i find it poor quality football, not even close to the quality of football we had i the 70s :Oops1:

Yes, you are an old fart and talking shit. Go back to sleep.

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

Yes, you are an old fart and talking shit. Go back to sleep.

quality post little boy, why the insult????

i agree the game is much quicker now days, but there were many skillful players in the 70s, every team had one or two star players, even the lower teams.

I have been an Ajax fan all of my life. This team out of Amsterdam had a wonderfull team back in the '70 s.

When I look to the new Ajax, they still have a team with great players, but due to the money that goes around in the world of football it's nearly impossible to keep them together to have the same results as in those days.

Look at the international prizes in the last decade and you'll see that these came into the hands of the bigger teams with lots of money to go around.

To come back on your answer, I do believe that there are still lots of skilful players nowadays. Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and go further down the list, they all have a couple talented players on their payroll.

Adrie.

I have been an Ajax fan all of my life. This team out of Amsterdam had a wonderfull team back in the '70 s.

When I look to the new Ajax, they still have a team with great players, but due to the money that goes around in the world of football it's nearly impossible to keep them together to have the same results as in those days.

Look at the international prizes in the last decade and you'll see that these came into the hands of the bigger teams with lots of money to go around.

To come back on your answer, I do believe that there are still lots of skilful players nowadays. Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and go further down the list, they all have a couple talented players on their payroll.

Adrie.

i was a big fan of the Ajax team in the seventies, 3 european cups i think it was?

it is very sad that the teams with most money seem to be the ones that win everything.

and of course there are skillful players in the prem right now, but i still think the overall standard of football was better in the 70s. :unsure::GoldenSmile1:

If I randomly rattle off a few names, Ronaldo,Giggs,Rooney,Tevez,Scholes. Lack of skill? Cant cross a decent ball? Cant control the ball?........I think just Giggsy alone answers this thread.

quality post little boy, why the insult????

You asked if it was because you were becoming an old fart in the OP and I confirmed that for you. That, combined with your inane comment was the reason for the insult.

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

If I randomly rattle off a few names, Ronaldo,Giggs,Rooney,Tevez,Scholes. Lack of skill? Cant cross a decent ball? Cant control the ball?........I think just Giggsy alone answers this thread.

I know, he's off his head....the list could go on and on.

"Up to me" since 2005

You asked if it was because you were becoming an old fart in the OP and I confirmed that for you. That, combined with your inane comment was the reason for the insult.

haha yes i forgot what i said in the op, guess i am becoming an old fart :unsure:

Didnt know man utd were the onlyteam in the prem league and if diving were a skill then Ronaldo would be the best player in the world ( that being Gerrard)

All ive got in this world are my word and my balls and i dont break them for nobody

Money Number 1

Didnt know man utd were the onlyteam in the prem league and if diving were a skill then Ronaldo would be the best player in the world ( that being Gerrard)

yeah, that really is a part of the modern game that is NOT an improvement.

pool are playing well at the moment heiko, but imo the football was much better in the 70s :D:001_Sawasdee:

welcome to the board mate.

Thanks for the welcome Todder

I´m member from 1973 at Liverpool since theý win against Gladbach and yes thze matches with Dalglish and Rush was a great remember.

haha yes i forgot what i said in the op, guess i am becoming an old fart :D

In a lot of ways the football in the 70's was better but they didn't have better players then, they were the same IMHO and there are just as many good players now as there was then, it's just the game was completely different.

I'm sure Drogba and a whole host of others would give him a run for his money. In case you hadn't noticed Ronaldo got voted the best player in the world. You're obviously a dipper fan.

"Up to me" since 2005

I'm sure Drogba and a whole host of others would give him a run for his money. In case you hadn't noticed Ronaldo got voted the best player in the world. You're obviously a dipper fan.

Yes i am and ronaldo got voted best player for 07/08season this season hes not even been in the top 5 yes hes scored goals but i good few were pens and free kicks he also says he doesnt get protection from the refs in the press today well hes won the most freekicks fromany playerin the prem the sooner he gos to madrid the better the flash divin wanker he is

All ive got in this world are my word and my balls and i dont break them for nobody

Money Number 1

In a lot of ways the football in the 70's was better but they didn't have better players then, they were the same IMHO and there are just as many good players now as there was then, it's just the game was completely different.

you are probably right mate, i seem to think everthing was better in the past, football, pop music, even the pubs :D

good call on drogba for the diving title mate :001_Sawasdee:

Yes i am and ronaldo got voted best player for 07/08season this season hes not even been in the top 5 yes hes scored goals but i good few were pens and free kicks he also says he doesnt get protection from the refs in the press today well hes won the most freekicks fromany playerin the prem the sooner he gos to madrid the better the flash divin wanker he is

To say that Ronaldo is not even in the top five best players in the world shows that you are a fool who knows little about football. From what I can see you know little about spelling and punctuation too. You are a deluded dipper fan who can't see past his own team and see that there are better players out there other than Gerrard who is no where near the best player in the world. According to you if a player scores free kicks then they shouldn't be credited as goals? You are talking shite.

I can see past my own team and I don't think Ronaldo is the best player in the world.

"Up to me" since 2005

gerrard the best in the world lol is that after ronaldo messi kaka benzima. gerrard is a diver himself remember athletico madrid?? he dived for a penalty so thats a skill he has picked up!