IGNORED

AIRBUS A330

biggles

I just did an overnight flight from KL to gold coast in australia with Air Asia. Flown AA many times before and no problems, however this time it wasnt that good. The A330 seats are really narrow and you dont have much leg room. to make it worse, the seat back doesnt recline, instead the seat squab moves forward, further reducing the leg room. I am only a short person and not very big build but I was not at all comfortable. anyone of a larger size would be very uncomfortable in fact all the people around me were complaining. A330 might be good for shorter flights but for an overnighter where you want to sleep, its not very pleasant.

Thats funny I just posted in the 777 thread how the only times I had a problem with a flight was with a A330. Had to turn around and go back to HKG not 10 min into the flight.

biggles,

I wuldn't blame Airbus. They supply an airplane but the arlines choose the seats and configure them to their own requirements. I had the same crappy seating as biggles describes the one time I flew Martinair (KLM charter brand).

The 747 Jumbo is the best.

Eva & Thai direct is best with no fucking about & changing aircraft.

The A380 isn't too bad either. It's a huge plane with enough space between the seats.

Gulfstream V...now thats flying! Not that I have one...Im just sayin'

Cheers, Alex

gulf_V_3.jpg

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

UPgrade! Sorry, im bored tonight.

seat_Thai.jpg

Edited by Alex the Hedonist

I wuldn't blame Airbus. They supply an airplane but the arlines choose the seats and configure them to their own requirements. I had the same crappy seating as biggles describes the one time I flew Martinair (KLM charter brand).

Absolutely correct.

The only measure that is predictably [near] the same across air carriers is the seat width as that is dictated by the frame.

Only option is to add or subtract a column of seats which is rare.

I was once on an ATA flight from LAX to HNL on a DC10 with 10 across seating (normally 9) and the pitch was pathetic too.

Must have seated 500 people on that plane 5555

I fly NWA a lot and the A330 they fly from BKK-NRT has enough space for me. However, I am fairly diligent on getting the exit and bulkhead seats.

Apparently they do no longer use A330 on that route, but rather B757.

I have read that this particular configuration of 757 has poor seats in business class.

I know for a fact that other NWA international routes have superior business class seating.

So even within the same carriers offering on the same type of aircraft there may be a difference.

I think I will pay the extra cost to pick a seat on future flights and get the row with the exit doors for more legroom. It still wont solve the seat width problem but at least I can stretch out. Flying thai is not an option as it works out a lot more expensive for me. I fly to KL then direct to clark in PI so its a convenient airline and flight time.

biggles,

The worst cramped seating I had was London to Amsterdam on KLM.

Thank goodness I was in my 30s and it was a short flight.

The cheapest the ticket, the shortest the legroom .....

depend on the operator not the builder !!!

you can buy extra room on air asia : not the same price as advertised

Absolutely correct.

The only measure that is predictably [near] the same across air carriers is the seat width as that is dictated by the frame.

Only option is to add or subtract a column of seats which is rare.

If you think about it, reduce the seat pitch by 2" every row and you have 60 rows +/- then they can steal about 120" and cram in 3 or 4 more rows @ 9 seats each. That's 25-30 more seats straight to their bottom line.

And of course the 2" they steal is the very 2" that makes a huge difference in your comfort over a long flight.

Edited by johnnyk

spoke to my daughter in law last night who flys aircrew Jetstar to Japan. their A330 only has 8 seats across, while AA has 9. This might be why the seats are so narrow.