IGNORED

Sea food and Thai Food Pattaya

tobeornottobe

Where does one go for some nice Sea /thai food in Pattaya, Mainly interested in more up market places but interested in cheap places too

Three mermaids for the posh experience. Also a bunch of nice places at the north end of Jomtien beach road.

Cheap stuff everywhere. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Pupen Seafood at the south end of Jomtien Beach. Mum Aroi Nakula, Mum Aroi Como, Preecha Seafood Bang Saray.

Also a seafood restaurant on Jomtien Soi 5 behind Rompho Market.

Edited by Rocketboy

IMO, and some will regard this as heresy, Pupen's has been on a downward trend for a while now. The GF and I were regulars for years. We both have noticed a drop off in the quality of both the food and the level of service. We have not been in 6 months or so now. We tried Lung Sawai Seafood, just a little further South of Pupen's, but we both thought this was not as good as what we see compared to Pupen's diminished reputation. Again IMO.

For cheaper eats, what I have heard to be very good is some of the smaller stalls etc. at the Nakula Seafood market. They will cook up your just purchased fresh catch. I have not done this.

For a more upscale experience, I like May's on Thepprasit over in Jomtien.

https://mays-pattaya.business.site/?m=true

The GF, who grew up an Isan farm girl, does not care for it as much as I do. She calls it Farang Thai food. I would say Bangkok style Thai food. btw - due to construction, the traffic situation and parking are often for shit on Thepprasit right now. Take a cab.

I remember @jimboh and myself exchanged a few posts on this topic and he commented in one post that his Thai wife had discovered a good place on Jomtien Second Road, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name or exact location right now.

I do agree with @Rocketboy mentioning the Bang Saray out on the pier restaurants. The food is very good at the ones that I have been to and the out over the water at sundown experience is quite pleasant. These places are relatively inexpensive, but are a 45 minute drive from Pattaya. The one that I liked the best was Aow Talay. Here is a post describing the place.

I did not care for the Big Fish at Siam@Siam. Basically it is a seafood buffet place and I thought the food was dried out and over cooked, like at most buffets. Yes, I am a fuss bottom.

For inexpensive Thai food consider a stop at Ta Chuap over in Phratamanak. Here is a thread on it. Supposedly Sir Elton John had the owner flown to London for a party he was giving.

Edited by ChiFlyer

oh - I left out a comment. I did enjoy 3 Mermaids over in the Cozy Beach area. Here is a review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that chiflyer.  Have u tried King seafood on walking street 

Acquapazza has good seafood.. last time we went as party of 4 and I was pretty drunk and we ordered special requests which we ended up paying a hefty bill for so wasn't too pleased the next day..

Their regular menu is decent value for good seafood.

Acquapazza +66 86 075 2021 https://maps.app.goo.gl/5Qhz9SkKtzvN7bvT8

Edited by stacksreg123

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I love sushi in Bangkok but avoid it in Pattaya. One exception is Ronin. It's good but pricey.

Ronin
+66 99 338 8777
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cz1SgyRUCQbG5zKY8

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

From my last visit prior to covid "PO Yu yen rot den" Think I got that right. For down to earth Thai and seafood, tin chairs and tables with basic cutlery, but has the live tanks with prawns n crabs out front. I had no issues and cheap

BIB can often be found eating in there.

"Mai Thai" A little more upmarket Belgian Thai fusion, good service, modern interior and often has classy live music, think guitar/singer. Large selection of quality belgian beers.

Both can be found within 100 metres of each other on the left hand side of the Pattaya to naklua road about 300 yards past Dolphin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tobeornottobe said:

Not that I remember by name.

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 hours ago, stacksreg123 said:

Acquapazza has good seafood.. last time we went as party of 4 and I was pretty drunk and we ordered special requests which we ended up paying a hefty bill for so wasn't too pleased the next day..

Agreed. We stop in there every couple of months or so. The owner (Giovanni) used to work at Gian's (my favorite Italian restaurant in the greater Bang Lamung area) a little further down the street

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2022 at 18:05, ChiFlyer said:

IMO, and some will regard this as heresy, Pupen's has been on a downward trend for a while now. The GF and I were regulars for years. We both have noticed a drop off in the quality of both the food and the level of service. We have not been in 6 months or so now. We tried Lung Sawai Seafood, just a little further South of Pupen's, but we both thought this was not as good as what we see compared to Pupen's diminished reputation. Again IMO.

For cheaper eats, what I have heard to be very good is some of the smaller stalls etc. at the Nakula Seafood market. They will cook up your just purchased fresh catch. I have not done this.

For a more upscale experience, I like May's on Thepprasit over in Jomtien.

https://mays-pattaya.business.site/?m=true

The GF, who grew up an Isan farm girl, does not care for it as much as I do. She calls it Farang Thai food. I would say Bangkok style Thai food. btw - due to construction, the traffic situation and parking are often for shit on Thepprasit right now. Take a cab.

I remember @jimboh and myself exchanged a few posts on this topic and he commented in one post that his Thai wife had discovered a good place on Jomtien Second Road, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name or exact location right now.

I do agree with @Rocketboy mentioning the Bang Saray out on the pier restaurants. The food is very good at the ones that I have been to and the out over the water at sundown experience is quite pleasant. These places are relatively inexpensive, but are a 45 minute drive from Pattaya. The one that I liked the best was Aow Talay. Here is a post describing the place.

I did not care for the Big Fish at Siam@Siam. Basically it is a seafood buffet place and I thought the food was dried out and over cooked, like at most buffets. Yes, I am a fuss bottom.

For inexpensive Thai food consider a stop at Ta Chuap over in Phratamanak. Here is a thread on it. Supposedly Sir Elton John had the owner flown to London for a party he was giving.

Thanks for the recommendation on Bang Saray. I'm extremely interested in trying this place out tomorrow (weather permitting) for Sunset. The pier restaurants sound a bit like those in Hua Hin.

Is there much else to do in Bang Saray? Is it worth spending a night?

On 11/05/2022 at 01:42, tobeornottobe said:

Sorry for the very slow response, but I have not tried King's Seafood over on Walking Street (at least I do not remember it by name).

I am an expat who lives here full time. I almost never go to Walking Street now that I am older and pretty much married to a TGF. She and I both do not care for the noise, crowds, and cigarette smoke on Walking Street.

Back in the day, when I was a periodic tourist, I very much enjoyed the area and hit several of the seafood restaurants there. Pleasant memories.

1 hour ago, Joe Bananas said:

Thanks for the recommendation on Bang Saray. I'm extremely interested in trying this place out tomorrow (weather permitting) for Sunset. The pier restaurants sound a bit like those in Hua Hin.

Is there much else to do in Bang Saray? Is it worth spending a night?

Good question, but I do not have an answer. I am only familiar with the seafood on the pier restaurants, although we have tried a couple of upscale seaside restaurants as well at a few of the better hotels. Sorry, but I can not remember any of the names right now.

I would guess that the correct answer to your overnight question is no, if you are asking about hobby options. IMO Bang Saray is more of a family vacation spot, but then again this is Thailand and I have not explored from that perspective.

Oh, and do be aware that Bang Saray is about a 45 minute drive from Jomtien, mush less central Pats.

You might be interested in an on the beach seafood restaurant at about 1/2 the distance called "The Glass House". There are several revues of it in the Restaurant Thread. Personally, I consider it to be overrated, but I am a fuss bottom when it comes to seafood. 

Oh, and yes they are very similar to the one seaside restaurant that I tried in Hua Hin.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2022 at 22:15, Rocketboy said:

Pupen Seafood at the south end of Jomtien Beach. Mum Aroi Nakula, Mum Aroi Como, Preecha Seafood Bang Saray.

Also a seafood restaurant on Jomtien Soi 5 behind Rompho Market.

couldnt find the thread where you posted it originally. i'm at na jomtien waiting for oyster lady to show up. pro tip rent chairs and the guy will get them for you and you can skip the line.

ps the line has another 15 people now she seams to be running late today.

for those not familiar this is in na jomtien just after the sign next to a family mart.

20221001_171143.jpg

26 minutes ago, youngexpat said:

couldnt find the thread where you posted it originally. i'm at na jomtien waiting for oyster lady to show up. pro tip rent chairs and the guy will get them for you and you can skip the line.

ps the line has another 15 people now she seams to be running late today.

for those not familiar this is in na jomtien just after the sign next to a family mart.

20221001_171143.jpg

Alright my man!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/05/2022 at 19:49, stacksreg123 said:

I do assume that it was implied that treat is about Thai seafood recommendations.

1 hour ago, Tapaz1976 said:

I do assume that it was implied that treat is about Thai seafood recommendations.

giphy.gif