Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

iPhone advice

7-Eleven

I want to get an iPhone as a gift for my next trip... Here's the thing...

Right now I can buy the 8GB version for £342.33 (Approx. 17,586 THB) Does anyone know how much the genuine ones are in TukCom? Do genuine ones even exist there? I appreciate that there are some great copies available at a fraction of the price but I want to get the real mcoy this time round, how easy/hard are the fakes to spot?

If I bought one in the UK and took it to Thailand i'm guessing that I will have to jailbreak the phone to get it to work with a thai sim, how easy is this?

Will all the functions of the iPhone be preserved such as visual voicemail, app store, iTunes music store, data roaming (whilst not connected via wifi)

Is it possible to change the phones language to Thai? If so how easy/difficult is this?

How does it work with iTunes in Thailand... can you access the music store and pay in THB?

Yes iphone is available in Thailand, but sorry I don't know the $

If you unlock the phone you run the risk of losing access to the applications, I'm not sure thailand has an itunes stores but if it does you will need a credit card from thailand in order to access the store

I have and iphone and had not problems using it in thailand but with a US number, and tree access to e-mail, internet and skype with wi fi

sorry I don't have additional info

I want to get an iPhone as a gift for my next trip... Here's the thing...

Right now I can buy the 8GB version for £342.33 (Approx. 17,586 THB) Does anyone know how much the genuine ones are in TukCom? Do genuine ones even exist there? I appreciate that there are some great copies available at a fraction of the price but I want to get the real mcoy this time round, how easy/hard are the fakes to spot?

If I bought one in the UK and took it to Thailand i'm guessing that I will have to jailbreak the phone to get it to work with a thai sim, how easy is this?

Will all the functions of the iPhone be preserved such as visual voicemail, app store, iTunes music store, data roaming (whilst not connected via wifi)

Is it possible to change the phones language to Thai? If so how easy/difficult is this?

How does it work with iTunes in Thailand... can you access the music store and pay in THB?

Theres a differance with "jailbreak" and unlocking,jailbreaking it will allow you to add third party apps and loads of themes i have one and its great,itunes will still work as will everything else all that happens is that your warranty with apple is void so if it breaks they wont fix or give you a new one thats if they know its jailbroken , unlocking it is more complicated but if you get it done then any sim should work in it.

Heres a few links on how to jailbreak it,it only takes a few minutes,quickpwn is the best and most widely used.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Heres the one i used http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4689995/QuickPwn-225-2.zip

Best of luck let us know if you have any problems .

Theres a differance with "jailbreak" and unlocking,jailbreaking it will allow you to add third party apps and loads of themes i have one and its great,itunes will still work as will everything else all that happens is that your warranty with apple is void so if it breaks they wont fix or give you a new one thats if they know its jailbroken , unlocking it is more complicated but if you get it done then any sim should work in it.

Heres a few links on how to jailbreak it,it only takes a few minutes,quickpwn is the best and most widely used.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Heres the one i used http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4689995/QuickPwn-225-2.zip

Best of luck let us know if you have any problems .

Thanks for your help man... All i'm interested in is getting it to work in Thailand... (not to fussed about putting third party apps on etc) I dont want to buy it in the UK only to find out that it ends up a complete lemon and unusable.

So it looks like I just need to get it unlocked... will people do this in Tukcom??... what happens when a new version of the software is out? Have to unlock again?

Any advice welcome.

If it is the iphone 3g that you have then they are next to impossible to unlock there's loads of software out there that says it will do it but 9 times out of 10 it wont,because apple copped on after how easy it was to unlock the 2g version,i had my 3g one with me in pattaya and it worked fine for me its just the roaming costs here in Ireland are a joke and it cost me alot to ring or txt home,there is third party apps that will let you use a thai keyboard and there are paid apps in the apple store and thailand does have a apple store..

my understanding is the 3g can be unlocked but requires a small piece of hardware that fits into the sim slot and then your sim fits in that so it somehow fools the iphone into thinking the sim is legit.

As for the SW side of unlocking, yes, ever time there's an update you have to upgrade it and then re-unlock it.

I have a 2G i use with my thai sim card and a 3g i use with my US card.

I don't know the current prices at tukom but if i drop by i will ask and post it - although everything is of course negotiable.

Thanks for your advice guys... I'm thinking that it would just be easier to get an N96 or something similar.

I already have an iPhone 3G myself anyways here in the UK... this is for someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

At tesco today, i saw 8gb 3g new is 23K and 16gb 27k.

...Is it possible to change the phones language to Thai? ...

Apple do not support Thai script either in iTunes or on the iPhone.

Apple do not support Thai script either in iTunes or on the iPhone.

Ah nice one... thanks for the heads up mate.

Apple dont support it but if you do jailbreak theres software in cydia to let you have a thai keyboard aswell as the english one,i have it installed just to see what its like,i dont understand thai but it works fine.

• 1 month later...
my understanding is the 3g can be unlocked but requires a small piece of hardware that fits into the sim slot and then your sim fits in that so it somehow fools the iphone into thinking the sim is legit.

Illegitimate isn't the only way to go and imo is silly and you can destroy the baseband for future upgrades

You can get a legitimate unlock via the carrier that sold the phone and then Apple authorises the unlock over the net via iTunes on a restore of the phone. This costs from $0-8 USD in Australia

With iPhone OS3 so close (weeks away final beta is out now) I wouldnt be messing with a new iPhone. The hacks wont work for sure on OS 3

Am I worthy of being a Soi Prisoner you tell me?

Zero to Hero