IGNORED

matching air tickets dates with your (longer) stay

filipef

Sorry is it has been asked before and sorry for any mistakes on english writing.

My plan is to stay in Thailand for a longer period, maybe 5 or 6 months each year, as i am now pre-retired and 60+ y.o.. So, even if i get the Non-O visa at the thai consulate, it will not cover the whole stay, and i will have to extend it at immigration  and even maybe go outside (by land, for example) and back. Worst if i arrive with no visa, on the 30 days exempt.  So,

-if my return date in the ticket is over the validity of the visa, will i not have problems with the air company?

- do companies allow you to travel on a one-way ticket? and, if yes, will thai immigration, at the airport?

- if i have to show a return (or to another country) ticket before the visa (or the exempt) expires, is there a mean of a free-"fake" way to have it? or i really have to buy one?

How you guys do?

Thanks all

Technically, you always need proof of onward travel within whatever period you're stamped in for. 

If you're coming without a visa, problem will likely start being allowed to board. 

Back in the travel days I'd buy a cheap ticket to a nearby country and just bin it.

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

officially, you need a valid ticket out of thailand within the timeframe you're (currently) allowed to stay in Thailand. 

So if you arrive on a 60 day visa, your return flight (or another flight out of thailand) has to be within 60 days, even if you plan on extending your vias for another 30 days. 

some airlines enforce this, some don't. if immigration doesn't let you into the country because of it, the airlines needs to fly you back (on their own cost), so that's why they sometimes check it.

immigration sometimes enforces it, but normally they don't. 

you have a few options: 
a) book a flexible ticket where you can change the return flight for free (or cheap)
b) book a cheap 1 way ticket in advance outside of thailand. for example an air asia flight to kuala lumpur is often one of the cheapest option, should be less than 2000 thb. so if you arrive on a 60 day visa (but plan to stay several months), buy a 1 way ticket out of thailand that leaves after 60 days. 
c) just look up such a ticket as in b), and if anyone complains during check-in (or immigration), then you can always buy this one on your phone on short notice and you're good to go. 
d) there are websites that sell you fake-tickets (it's not actually a fake ticket, it's a temporary reservation for a ticket that is only valid for 48 hours or so). you buy this shortly before your travel and it costs a little less. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

9 minutes ago, petehoax said:

if you arrive on a 60 day visa, your return flight (or another flight out of thailand) has to be within 60 days

Immigration requires it as well. Rarely checked for proper tourists. 

However, visa exempt was mentioned by OP. In that case you almost certainly need onward travel within 30 days to be allowed to board.

3 minutes ago, filipef said:

why not, if i may ask?

I think people use it and it does seem to work.For myself If I am waiting to board and being held up at check in I want a genuine ticket to show that I can cancel at a later date or one of a very small amount that I would be prepared to lose.

44 minutes ago, filipef said:

why not, if i may ask?

Many people got burned by these "services" in the past (one even turned out a complete scam). Let's face it. It's a way of getting around a requirement that should be real. Similarly, I wouldn't touch a volunteer/education visa without actually doing the thing.

3 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

Right. I knew this would come up. I wouldn't touch it. 

Used many times, but okay I have never been asked for proof by an Immigration Officer, so?

But every time I have paid for this, you can then see yourself booked on the flight, on the Amadeus system, which I have been informed is what Thailand Immigration also uses.

Up to You 👍

Edited by Leo_Bia

3 hours ago, filipef said:

why not, if i may ask?

I tried it once. Big mess and waste of money. I'll never try it again.

2 hours ago, 1tooth said:

I tried it once. Big mess and waste of money. I'll never try it again.

Thats a bit vague is it not?

5 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

Many people got burned by these "services" in the past (one even turned out a complete scam). Let's face it. It's a way of getting around a requirement that should be real. Similarly, I wouldn't touch a volunteer/education visa without actually doing the thing.

Not understanding this.

All that company whose link I posted does is book a flight on your behalf, and then cancels it for you, saving you hassle for a small fee, which was £10 the last time I used them.

6 hours ago, Gaztop08 said:

I think people use it and it does seem to work.For myself If I am waiting to board and being held up at check in I want a genuine ticket to show that I can cancel at a later date or one of a very small amount that I would be prepared to lose.

It is a genuine ticket.

This is interesting!! I planned to travel from Australia on a 12 month OA retirement visa. I assumed that I wouldn't need an onward ticket given its retirement Visa??

2 hours ago, Sloracer said:

This is interesting!! I planned to travel from Australia on a 12 month OA retirement visa. I assumed that I wouldn't need an onward ticket given its retirement Visa??

Correct IME, and I've been here almost 20-years on retirement-extensions, however you may well need to show your retirement-extension at check-in & explain that you're a longer-term resident.

My recent return in mid-February was on a one-way ticket back to Bangkok with Qatar Airways via Doha, not a problem. 

3 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

Not understanding this.

All that company whose link I posted does is book a flight on your behalf, and then cancels it for you, saving you hassle for a small fee, which was £10 the last time I used them.

Booking your own flight and cancelling it is free … 

8 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

It is a genuine ticket.

You can board flights with genuine tickets, I'd imagine you couldn't with fake tickets such as these  :)

5 hours ago, momo5 said:

Booking your own flight and cancelling it is free … 

Time is never free.

16 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

You can board flights with genuine tickets, I'd imagine you couldn't with fake tickets such as these  :)

Well you could, but the deal is it gets cancelled 48 hours after you travel, as its not fake.