Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Street Food and the Runs

I am heading to SE Asia in a month and I love food -- especially asian food. I want to try everything. A good friend that was in thailand a couple years ago is trying to convince to me avoid street food at all costs -- that I am guaranteed to get the runs.

Do I have anything to really worry about?

I would not worry too much. make sure you watch them cook it, and cook it well.

That said, never leave home without the Imodium..... just never know.

Do not let them worry you too much. Actually I would estimate that 80% of us get the runs for the first few days, treat it with Imodium, and move on. We all do. Eating in the restaurants will not save you. You cannot watch how they clean dishes, or handle your food in there either.

Good luck, but expect to treat the runs. Water is not good for you. Drink things that are fizzy, or have a good level of alcohol in them to kill the bugs.

The ice in your whiskey is fine, as long as you dont eat the ice. The outside part of the ice is sterile due to being with the alcohol.

I am heading to SE Asia in a month and I love food -- especially asian food. I want to try everything. A good friend that was in thailand a couple years ago is trying to convince to me avoid street food at all costs -- that I am guaranteed to get the runs.

Do I have anything to really worry about?

Nope!!

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

I eat street food all the time. No more danger of getting sick from that than eating in restaurants. Don't forget the Immodium, though - no matter where you eat, you are pretty likely to develop a case at some point just due to the change in climate and diet.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

I usually eat Western food in LOS. I suspect most other mongers also do. However, some of the meat they sell on a stick on the streets is OK.

It is not uncommon for farangs eating (any) food in SE Asia to get some degree of the runs.

It does not mean that the food is bad, but rather that you are exposed to bacteria that your body is not used to.

As for Imodium, take it only if it is necessary as it will also be a source of dehydration.

In other words, if you do take Imodium you should also be mindful of sufficient fluid intake.

In all the many trips I have take to LOS I have only taken Imodium one day and it did solve the problem.

i don't eat beef or pork but other than that i love all street food and i've never ever gotten ill in los from food. the thais are much cleaner in every day life than a lot of american restaurants and i'm in the restaurant business! try it all my friend! it's the tastiest cuisine in the world!

Edited by deadwood

I usually eat Western food in LOS. I suspect most other mongers also do. However, some of the meat they sell on a stick on the streets is OK.

I'm one of them, never had the balls to eat some street food. But have no problems with fruits

Number6-01.jpg

The prisoner: “I’m not a number, I’m a free manâ€

A gogo girl: "i'm not a number, i'm a free woman"

I disagree. I ate Thai food 85% of the time.

As for street vendors, it's a must! Really good stuff!

My system actually was the most regular it's been in a long time when I was in Thailand. I ate a lot of noodle dishes with lots of fiber though!

Eat. Down. South.

Actually I would estimate that 80% of us get the runs for the first few days

kinda worrying that to say the least seeing as im paraplegic and toilets will be slim to non when out and about , might have to find someone to look after me for the first 2 or 3 days and not go anywhere :D

If it looks like they are doing brisk business then I wouldn't hesitate. Having a bowl of kuay tiaw noodles with your BF for the night will often keep her happier and for a lot less money than taking her to a top restaurant.

I did once get a very serious stomach infection from a piece of chicken I bought from a street stool in Mae Sot but I can remember thinking that the stool looked quiet and that the chicken has probably been there a while so I should have followed my instincts. I've had similar experiences at kebab shops here in the UK though and one incident in 22 years isn't going to put me off.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Most of what you hear is blown out of proportion.

Maybe the ex-pats that live here have develped some resistance but I have never had a problem with street food.

Even use tap water to brush my teeth. When I lived in Arunotai water came from a well, tea anyone?

Won't even mention the water and food up at the GF farm.

Have had the toilet quickstep a few times in the UK but thats the old "10 pints I'm hungry, love a Kebab"

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Good luck, but expect to treat the runs. Water is not good for you. Drink things that are fizzy, or have a good level of alcohol in them to kill the bugs.

The ice in your whiskey is fine, as long as you dont eat the ice. The outside part of the ice is sterile due to being with the alcohol.

Are you serious??? Water not good for you? Ice cubes fine as long as you don't eat them?

Bottled water is fine. I've drank some tap water too (tastes horrible in Pats but you don't die of it or even get sick).

Ice cubes no problem, I've had thousands of them by now in LOS. This reminds me: I talked to an American once in a gogo who warned me not to put ice in my drinks because of the danger of Cholera!!! Apart from that he was an intelligent man, but paranoia can get to the best of us. :GoldenSmile1:

Street food: no problem. Look for popular ones with Thai customers and all will be fine.

Men want to fuck many women. Women want to fuck the best provider. Only in the paysex scene both goals are met.

Street food is no problem had more problems in restaurants I love the pancakes

Barbeque chicken pork beef all good stuff

Last trip got into the dried squid a bit of a acquired taste Look out for chicken feet I am not that brave :rolleyes:

Switch:

Check the flag mate. You want to know the best street food to eat, watch the locals, same as at home the best food is where the truckers eat. In Thailand the best food is where the fuckers eat.

Works for me!!!

Edited by wolfy

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Switch:

Check the flag mate. You want to know the best street food to eat, watch the locals, same as at home the best food is where the truckers eat. In Thailand the best food is where the fuckers eat.

Works for me!!!

Hahah, I am all about the greasy spoon.

Cheers.

It is not uncommon for farangs eating (any) food in SE Asia to get some degree of the runs.

It does not mean that the food is bad, but rather that you are exposed to bacteria that your body is not used to.

As for Imodium, take it only if it is necessary as it will also be a source of dehydration.

In other words, if you do take Imodium you should also be mindful of sufficient fluid intake.

In all the many trips I have take to LOS I have only taken Imodium one day and it did solve the problem.

Had a crook gut last trip, was talking to a local and mentioned i was on my way to get some imodium, they suggested i try PO CHAT PILLS (chinese herbal)..Bought a box containing 10 phials for 95 baht taking 2 phials initially (looks a lot) and then one phial every 4 hours..problem solved....

I have never had a problem with street food, only thing one needs to think about is the amount of chilli you add to your dish. I have found that if I overdo the chilli, then my stomach won't like it.