Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Vitiligo

Pocket Rocket

Hi Guys.

I suffer from vitiligo which is a condition where the skin loses its pigmentation.

Mine is not very pronounced and hasn't developed very far apart from a few small patches in various parts of the body but the patches of skin that are affected can get really sore if not properly protected with sunblock.

I'm a white guy so the patches are not that recognisable but this condition seems to affect a lot of dark skinned/ethnic people and it is obviously quite devastating from a psycological perspective.

I was wondering if any other BM's suffer from this condition and if so have you discovered any good sun protection creams or treatments in LOM Land of Medicine!)

:P

Im fairly white skinned so mine doesnt look as visible until ive been out in the sun a few times. Ive got it but only in small patches along the upper chest, side of my neck and the underside of my arms. I dont really know of any drug to make them go away. However, IF your going out in the sun you definately need to put some really heave sunblock on those areas as it will burn very quickly.

Ive gotten a few questions from bargirls asking what it is. Its hard to explain so I just say its from too much sun.

Under black lights of the GoGo bars it makes it more pronounced. No big deal and just go on with life.

By the way, does anyone know the thai translation for vitiligo?? WOuld be nice to be able to tell a Thai what it is instead of just saying its from too much sun. (Actually it isnt from too much sun but from the skin not being able to make melalin for tanning.

Edited by SlickMonkey

Thanks for replying guys, it's always good to meet and chat with others in the same boat.

I find that theu ultra violet light in go go's can make it stand out more so I try to stick to the ones where UV light isn't so strong as it can make me feel a little self concious sometimes.

I just tell the girls the white patches are like the opposite of a birth mark and they seem to understand and I've tried looking for the Thai for vitiligo but to no avail. I'm more keen to try and explain to them that it's not catching as I have a couple of patches on my tackle.

Anyway like you say guys, nothing you can do about it I guess so just get on with life and protect yourself from the sun! :Party3:

I've tried looking for the Thai for vitiligo but to no avail. I'm more keen to try and explain to them that it's not catching as I have a couple of patches on my tackle.

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%82%E0%...%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7

tone marks included

rôhk dàang kăao

rohk (falling) disease

daang (low) salt

kaao (rising) white

tone marks included

rôhk dàang kăao

rohk (falling) disease

daang (low) salt

kaao (rising) white

Jeez! I can see why Thai is so hard to learn now!

Thanks for the effort.

I'm sure when I try to pronounce this people will think I 've been rubbing salt on my white patches or something! :Surrender1:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks...Ill download the link on my Blackjack and just show them whats im trying to say.

Did it work slick monkey.

Would love to have this down in Thai scrpt so I could show it to a TG rather than try pronounce it....................which I would do badly! :)

Havent been able to show anyone yet as Im still stuck here in the states.

• 2 months later...

Guys

Can anyone put LaaMoks fine transliterated versioon into thai script for me please?

Travelling soon and would prefer to show the script on a piece of paper than pronounce something incorrectly which could cause confusion.

TIA

PR.

You're on the right track. Sun block is important; but don't forget to sun block the areas with pigment also. When they get dark, the un-pigmented areas are more noticeable; and damn those black-lights!

Something I have seen work for vitiligo is Retin-A (Tretinoin). It's a prescription acne medicine that causes new cell growth (topical cream). Use it only at nighttime and use sun block during the day. I've never heard it recommended for vitiligo, but it can bring back the pigment. It may not work for everybody; but it worked for me. The 0.1% cream is the strongest. It can cause a bit of itching and redness, but that is normal. If it's too much irritation, use it every other night.

You're on the right track. Sun block is important; but don't forget to sun block the areas with pigment also. When they get dark, the un-pigmented areas are more noticeable; and damn those black-lights!

Something I have seen work for vitiligo is Retin-A (Tretinoin). It's a prescription acne medicine that causes new cell growth (topical cream). Use it only at nighttime and use sun block during the day. I've never heard it recommended for vitiligo, but it can bring back the pigment. It may not work for everybody; but it worked for me. The 0.1% cream is the strongest. It can cause a bit of itching and redness, but that is normal. If it's too much irritation, use it every other night.

Agreed I sunblock all over otherwise under the UV lights you like you're wearing camouflage!

I've been using a topical cream called Protopic of that strength but it doesn't seemt to help and I'm practically resigned to putting up with it now.

All looks a bit weird and I justhpe that the girls don't find it off putting.

Agreed I sunblock all over otherwise under the UV lights you like you're wearing camouflage!

I've been using a topical cream called Protopic of that strength but it doesn't seemt to help and I'm practically resigned to putting up with it now.

All looks a bit weird and I justhpe that the girls don't find it off putting.

Protopic is an immunosuppressant that tries to keep your body from attacking the pigment (Melanin). Retin-A works on a completely different basis. Might be worth a try. Vitiligo is a tough customer. I used instant tanning cream for a while. The color is not perfect, but it helps.

BTW: Michael Jackson suffered from vitiligo. That’s why he wore the glove and had skin bleaching done on his face.

Protopic is an immunosuppressant that tries to keep your body from attacking the pigment (Melanin). Retin-A works on a completely different basis. Might be worth a try. Vitiligo is a tough customer. I used instant tanning cream for a while. The color is not perfect, but it helps.

BTW: Michael Jackson suffered from vitiligo. That’s why he wore the glove and had skin bleaching done on his face.

I'll check out Retin-A. There is a tanning product called Dermablend which I might try also.

I always suspected Jacko had Vit.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Just an update on an old thread.

I have tried numerous lotions and potions for Vitiligo and none seem to have had much effect, if anything the symptoms have worsened. Given that most treatments are promoted as being longer term effective if effective at all and are costly I have decided to stop trying to treat my vit and concentrate more on trying to live with it.

This has worked relatively well and I now accept that this won't go away regardless of treatment and try to adopt a more carefree attitude about it's presence. I have found that if you're not hung up on it then nobody else is really once you have explained that its just a skin colouring defect that isnt contagious.

Hope this is useful and helps somebody.

PR