Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

What does the russian flight ban mean for Euro-Thai flights?

vandremand

Hi, a week ago Russia imposed flight bans for flights from many countries - Including European ones like Denmark where I'm from: https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/russia-imposes-sweeping-flight-bans-airlines-36-countries-2022-02-28/

I'm not exactly sure what it means. Are they targeting the flight routes altogether (like Copenhagen-Bangkok) or just the flight companies (like SAS). If the latter, flight companies like Thai Airways would fly as usual from Copenhagen to Bangkok, right? Is this the case?

Looking at plane tickets from places like Momondo, it does indeed seem like it doesn't impact Thai Airways flights. But can I expect this to be the case, or is it simply because they haven't updated the flight routes to reflect the recent development?

I was considering going to Thailand - from Copenhagen - in about a month, but not really sure what to make of the situation now. Hope you can help 🙂

11 minutes ago, vandremand said:

Hi, a week ago Russia imposed flight bans for flights from many countries - Including European ones like Denmark where I'm from: https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/russia-imposes-sweeping-flight-bans-airlines-36-countries-2022-02-28/

I'm not exactly sure what it means. Are they targeting the flight routes altogether (like Copenhagen-Bangkok) or just the flight companies (like SAS). If the latter, flight companies like Thai Airways would fly as usual from Copenhagen to Bangkok, right? Is this the case?

Looking at plane tickets from places like Momondo, it does indeed seem like it doesn't impact Thai Airways flights. But can I expect this to be the case, or is it simply because they haven't updated the flight routes to reflect the recent development?

I was considering going to Thailand - from Copenhagen - in about a month, but not really sure what to make of the situation now. Hope you can help 🙂

The flight will most likely just avoid the airspace of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine and probably the Black Sea so the flightpath will be south-east first to Romania and then across Turkey before heading east towards Thailand. Flight time will be a bit longer but not more than one or two hours.

• Like 3

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

Had a quick look at Flightradar24. This is the path of the Thai Airways flight from Copenhagen to BKK today. Detour is not that much.

cph-bkk.thumb.jpg.8cfa415bb336f76c02a44c8eccea06b3.jpg

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

8 minutes ago, Abracadabra said:

Had a quick look at Flightradar24. This is the path of the Thai Airways flight from Copenhagen to BKK today. Detour is not that much.

Great, thank you very much! One less thing to worry about... 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, luckily its not a big detour for us Europeans.

Looking at the map, not even sure it was flying over Russia before.

Maybe it was flying over Ukraine and a bit of Russia prior to the ban.

Edited by PattayaSuperman

Finnair is heavily reliant on the siberian corridor.

Traveltime HEL-BKK is about one hour longer and prices will go up.
They have stoped going to Japan, China  Korea for at least a while.

Yeah, the KLM/ Malaysia code share that was shot down a couple of years ago was flying over Ukraine and Russian backed separatists alleged shot it down.....

I am assuming flights from Europe to Asia now avoid Russian and Ukrainian airspace as well as keeping away from Syria as well....a bit like when Iraq conflict was on, they avoided that area...

I am no expert, so will bow to the Airplane version of Trainspotters knowledge in this instance...please if a BM does know about this whole thing please post

Cheers Skippy

8 hours ago, SkippyRoo said:

Yeah, the KLM/ Malaysia code share that was shot down a couple of years ago was flying over Ukraine and Russian backed separatists alleged shot it down.....

I am assuming flights from Europe to Asia now avoid Russian and Ukrainian airspace as well as keeping away from Syria as well....a bit like when Iraq conflict was on, they avoided that area...

I am no expert, so will bow to the Airplane version of Trainspotters knowledge in this instance...please if a BM does know about this whole thing please post

Cheers Skippy

It is cheaper/shorter to fly a route to the northern hemisphere than to take what looks like a shorter route if you laid it out on a map.  If you have an old fashion world globe in your house it is easy to see.  Most of the flights will take an hour or two extra.  

Japan and Singapore Airlines are now flying EAST with a refuel in Los Angeles to make it to Europe.  Just like in the 70's and 80's flight routes.  I remember making a refuel stop in Anchorage back in 1981.

On 07/03/2022 at 16:33, Abracadabra said:

Seems this flight path still takes a route through a portion of the Black sea, considering Rus ships firing missiles into southern UKR this could still be quite catastrophic.

• Like 1

................................................................................................................

On 07/03/2022 at 18:03, Abracadabra said:

Flying over Iran doesn't sound too appealing. 

6 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Seems this flight path still takes a route through a portion of the Black sea, considering Rus ships firing missiles into southern UKR this could still be quite catastrophic.

Looking at the map, I would say it is far enough South to be safe.

15 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Flying over Iran doesn't sound too appealing. 

Just hope that your plane does not have to make an emergency landing.

• Like 1

The following video is about 20 min. long.  It goes into details on the how and why the closure of Russian airspace will have long lasting effects on the international air travel between Europe and Asia.  Basically we are talking about going back 30 years in time to the Cold War days.  Expect longer flights, and higher costs.

Not only has the airspace in Russia been closed to EU, North American, and most Asian airlines, but also the ticketing infrastructure for flights into Russia.  What this means is that the Russians that are currently in Thailand will be having a very hard time getting back home, and those Russians that want to travel to Thailand will find it very, very difficult and expensive to do so.  Russians in Thailand are in for a world of hurt soon, and Thailand will see the loss of another tourist market, and will not be seeing the tourist numbers from Russia for at least two or three years regardless of the outcome of the Russian war on Ukraine.