IGNORED

Learning Thai in London

Mr. Prince

Hey guys, has anyone tried to learn Thai in London?

My ideal set up to make things less boring and more interactive  would be group classes.

I saw one or two options online but they have strict dates (starting in April).

I could also consider a private tutor even though I think they might be a bit of a black box.

2 years ago I tried to start with the book “Thai for beginners” but then got caught up in other professional exams and could not really work on it. This year I will have free weekends so I thought about starting again.

have you tried ..........   thai-language.com ...... 

pretty good site IMO , a little bit of finding your way around it example ... Audio ... but when you have figured it out it's all good . got shit loads on there

On 05/02/2022 at 22:16, Mr. Prince said:

2 years ago I tried to start with the book “Thai for beginners” but then got caught up in other professional exams and could not really work on it. This year I will have free weekends so I thought about starting again.

I had a bit of bar type spoken Thai and wanted to improve. Bought the book “Thai for Beginners” with two CD's and worked through chapter by chapter plus regular revision. This took maybe four months, 30+ minutes a day, 5-6 days a week.

Then I went to Phuket and enrolled for a group course in Patong, 2 classes a day for two weeks, spoken Thai (not reading or writing). Found this alright as I already had most of the vocabulary and pronunciation.

In the afternoon, deckchair on beach with TG and go through the lessons and homework.

Outcome was that I could get on quite well with everyday spoken Thai.

Also did some lessons at ABC School on the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien. Good. ABC school in Jomtien

In Melbourne could find only pricey courses at adult education. Did one trial lesson but it was too elementary so did not enrol. Was told a Buddhist wat offered tuition but it was a distant part of Melbourne so did not follow up.

There are quite a lot of Thais resident in Melbourne so perhaps one could find a one-on-one tutor.

Sawatdii ka!

(Learn Thai with Mod)

In the past weeks, Pear and I made a few new videos for you to watch during your holidays. Find the videos below and save them! 

1608030848.thumb.JPG.5cdfa861ac78e86956ca2b5d1e4e0e31.JPG

http://newsletter.learnthaiwithmod.com/uploads/1608030639.JPG

http://newsletter.learnthaiwithmod.com/uploads/1608030848.JPG

• Like 3

Whatever you need to motivate you, group classes tend to be inefficient because attention is shared between the students.  But if you don't/can't do your own study plan, they can work to get you going. 

How many hours are they though? you need to be doing your own work on top if they aren't daily classes.  Realistically minimum 1 hour a day study to make progress.

Learning Thai to a good level is an massive investment in time.  I stay for 3+ months a year, but not sure whether it's been worth the effort.  Spanish was 100% worth the effort as it's easier and conversations are more enjoyable generally.

Private tutors can be good, I really liked Bowie on Italki, also find her searching "learn thai with bowie".   She can take you through that book with classes, teach you how to read if you want (very useful), and basic pronunciation. 

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think that the classes would be helpful especially to fix/learn the tones. When I am alone is hard for me to understand if I am pronouncing properly.

In terms of commitment to be fair I only have the weekends but for the moment the target is not becoming extremely fluent, just being able to do some basic conversation and see how it goes.

A group class however would be also a way to meet new people I think.

I found this interesting concept which is based on "acquiring" Thai rather than actively studying and learning:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWBek-qVDuFNsvFbRClPjrA

Acquiring a language means doing it more of a natural way, like kids learn their first language. Being exposed to the language and gradually and slowly learning more and more by using comprehensible input.

You start out with very simple videos explaining very simple concepts where you understand what's going on even if you don't understand the actual words. Your brain will do the rest by gradually connecting words to actions and later concepts, and as your brain acquires more of the language you can move on to more advanced videos.

There's a video on the channel about the concept:

17 hours ago, joeyb said:

I found this interesting concept which is based on "acquiring" Thai rather than actively studying and learning:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWBek-qVDuFNsvFbRClPjrA

Acquiring a language means doing it more of a natural way, like kids learn their first language. Being exposed to the language and gradually and slowly learning more and more by using comprehensible input.

You start out with very simple videos explaining very simple concepts where you understand what's going on even if you don't understand the actual words. Your brain will do the rest by gradually connecting words to actions and later concepts, and as your brain acquires more of the language you can move on to more advanced videos.

There's a video on the channel about the concept:

It’s interesting but I think it depends also a bit on how complex is the language. For example when I was a teenager I watched a bunch of anime in Japanese. Anime in the end are cartoons, pretty visual, so I started to understand some basic words and expressions in Japanese even without subtitles, but nowhere near being able to speak the language. 
Fair to say however that this approach might be especially helpful with tones.