IGNORED

Non immigrant O-A visa - want to extend for 2 years.

tomx2

Hi.

I have a 1 year Non immigrant OA visa.

I am in Pattaya now.

I plan to go to the U.S. In March 2022 for 3 months then return to Thailand.

My Non immigrant OA visa will end November 2022

I want to extend my Non immigrant O-A visa for 1 more year till 2023

What do I have to do?

Thanks Tom

The initial Non O-A visa is valid for 12 months and you get 12-months on entry each time you arrive in Thailand during this period. Check the valid until date on your initial visa (not the date on your entry stamp) which sounds as if it will be November.

When you return to Thailand in June 2022 you will be given permission to stay for a further 12 months, so you can stay until June 2023 without doing anything other than the normal 90 day reports. If you leave Thailand again and return during the period between the visa expiring in November and the end of your Permission to Stay in June then make sure you get a Re-entry Permit before leaving.

If you want to stay beyond that, or use the same visa to come and go to Thailand, then you will need to get an Extension of Stay at that point. The current rules are that you would need the required cash in bank or monthly remittance into Thai bank for a full year plus approved local Health Insurance (not any US insurance you already have).

They had proposed increasing the financial requirement from 800k to 1.2m baht. Some embassies are already asking for this for initial applications so be prepared.

(alternatively pay an agent each year and forget about the requirements).

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Thanks Davidge for the reply

When I arrive in June 2022 my Covid insurance and compulsory insurance of 400,0000 will will expire on November 21,2022

Do I buy Covid insurance for 1 year 2 weeks before November 22nd for the $50,000baht.

Regarding compulsory insurance(400,0000) inpatient. I read it will increase to 3million baht starting October 1st 2022.

What must I do on November 21,2022?

Tom

1 hour ago, tomx2 said:

Thanks Davidge for the reply

When I arrive in June 2022 my Covid insurance and compulsory insurance of 400,0000 will will expire on November 21,2022

Do I buy Covid insurance for 1 year 2 weeks before November 22nd for the $50,000baht.

Regarding compulsory insurance(400,0000) inpatient. I read it will increase to 3million baht starting October 1st 2022.

What must I do on November 21,2022?

Tom

Two separate issues here. The insurance requirements for the Thailand Pass under Covid rules and the Health Insurance requirement for Extension of Stay under a Non O-A visa.

You don’t need to worry about the latter until June 2023 under your scenario.

For the Thailand Pass they usually require the Covid Insurance to be valid for the entire length of stay allowed by your visa - 12 months in your case from June 2022 until June 2023. There shouldn’t be a Health Insurance requirement.

You needed the Health Insurance to get your initial visa. You will need Health Insurance when you do the Extension of Stay. You do not need Health Insurance for the Thailand Pass but you do require Covid Insurance. (You might decide to get it anyway just in case you need treatment but it’s not a requirement).

As always, some Embassies/Consulates can have different requirements to others.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

10 hours ago, davidge said:

The initial Non O-A visa is valid for 12 months and you get 12-months on entry each time you arrive in Thailand during this period. Check the valid until date on your initial visa (not the date on your entry stamp) which sounds as if it will be November.

@davidge - accurate info as always.

The OP might want to consider moving to a Non-IM O from his current OA. That would require leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit and reentering on a 90 day O visa and then extending that with a one year extension. I would use an agent for that first extension.

I would advise the OP not to extend his OA permission to stay before leaving Thailand as that could affect the cost of the Covid insurance he needs in order to reenter.

Like you said he has pretty good options in place to take this current visa out to 2023, so maybe it is too early to get into all of this.