IGNORED

Been offered a Honda CB500F - bargain or not?

shagwell

So I'm a wannabee born again biker and after a chance conversation with Bolt taxi driver today went to see a bike he has for sale that on the face of it looks like a bit of bargain, though would appreciate thoughts or advice from any bikers here with more experience.

Bike is a Honda CB500F with only 1900km on the clock. I'm told it is a 2018 model though would need to check. Looks very clean apart from a small cigarette burn on the rear seat and part of the front visor chipped off, apart from that it looks almost new. Upgrades/extras include an Ohlins rear shock, aftermarket exhaust muffler,mobile holder and a few jazzy gold bits (levers and grips etc).

Reason for the low mileage is the owner has been back in his village since Covid started and has only just returned to Pattaya, plus he already has a car and a smaller bike so doesn't really need this one. I used to own a a couple of big bikes but that was well over 30 years ago (Honda 500 Dream and a Triumph Bonneville) but since then apart from occasionally hiring a small 125cc on holiday and brief ownership of a 250cc motocross bike for playing around on 15 years ago nothing. Therefore I'm after a bike that I can rebuild my confidence on and that is going to be suitable for both use around town and the occasional longer trip. Reading a few reviews this seems like it would fit the bill. A few pics of the bike for sale below, unfortunately not the best of pics.

Asking price is 100,000 Baht

Thoughts?

bike1a.thumb.jpg.1035e906f1beba59562cbe913eb8d088.jpgbike1.thumb.jpg.4878585ce65c1db56167bcf805c9197d.jpg1390635702_bike2.thumb.jpg.c4c3ad4bcc77c511ffacdc12383ef3de.jpgbike4.thumb.jpg.e7cba102c304ee82f86062967f1c004a.jpgeading a

If the visor is fucked then it's probably been dropped or in a collision. If he's willing to let you get it checked out for alignment etc. so depending on the asking price it may be worth it. Tyres look old so may require changing. All could do with a decent service, filter change and the rest, the bike fella on Buakhow is an honest chap & it would be cool if you ran it past him without the owner being present. 😐

• Like 2

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Has Green Book in Seller's name....Thai or Foreign..... Chonburi registered?
Check Page 18 for insurance repairs.
Aftermkt Exh OK as long as you get original as well.
500cc OK for gadabout but maybe underpowered for touring, though plenty out there.

Didn't spot the price.
Have a search on Kaidee.com for comparisons.
https://www.kaidee.com/browse?q=Honda CB500F

PS - Extras are just presents the owner bought for it and don't generally increase the value.
Remember all modifications are potential Fines in Pattaya so you want the original parts as well....or why not?

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Petesie said:

If the visor is fucked then it's probably been dropped or in a collision. If he's willing to let you get it checked out for alignment etc. so depending on the asking price it may be worth it. Tyres look old so may require changing. All could do with a decent service, filter change and the rest, the bike fella on Buakhow is an honest chap & it would be cool if you ran it past him without the owner being present. 😐

Yeah good idea to get it checked though it doesn't look like it's been dropped, I don't actually think the guy would mnd me getting it checked as seemed like a decent fella. Plenty of tread on the tyres so maybe just weather worn, looked at the brake pads and they still seem very thick. I'll pop over and have a chat with you tonight or tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Edge said:

Has Green Book in Seller's name....Thai or Foreign..... Chonburi registered?
Check Page 18 for insurance repairs.
Aftermkt Exh OK as long as you get original as well.
500cc OK for gadabout but maybe underpowered for touring, though plenty out there.

Didn't spot the price.
Have a search on Kaidee.com for comparisons.
https://www.kaidee.com/browse?q=Honda CB500F

Doh I forgot the most important thing - price - and to late to edit. He wants 100k which I thought was cheap.

Thanks for the other pointers :)

1 minute ago, shagwell said:

Doh I forgot the most important thing - price - and to late to edit. He wants 100k which I thought was cheap.

Added a PS.

For comparison check out the Yamaha MT07...... some good examples have gone for 100k post covid.

41 minutes ago, shagwell said:

I can add that to your OP if you want!?

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

1 hour ago, whitespider said:

I can add that to your OP if you want!?

Yes please :)

After market exhausts will cause a problem at testing time. Ask for original if he has it.

Edit: sorry, already mentioned.

Edited by frantick
  • Like 3

I'm seeing a lot of after market parts = junk. Like mirrors, handle bar grips etc. Owners are usually thinking, that they are upgrading their bike, when they are replacing factory black part for a shiny aftermarket part. But in reality they are replacing 2000 Baht factory part for a Made in China 299 Baht junk part.

Also for 2k Km that bike is really trashed. I have 25k bike and except small scratch on tank that bike is still factory new.

100k is a good starting point for negotiation. But I would go somewhere to 85k - 90k territory.

13 hours ago, shagwell said:

Yeah good idea to get it checked though it doesn't look like it's been dropped, I don't actually think the guy would mnd me getting it checked as seemed like a decent fella. Plenty of tread on the tyres so maybe just weather worn, looked at the brake pads and they still seem very thick. I'll pop over and have a chat with you tonight or tomorrow.

Awright bud, how was yer Tikka Masala? :WinkGrin1:

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Petesie said:

Awright bud, how was yer Tikka Masala? :WinkGrin1:

Spot on - that good I got the same again the day after :laugh:

Cigarette burn on the passenger seat, that would let water into the seat, that would need the seat cover replacing.

Plus what the guys above said.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GorGuy said:

Cigarette burn on the passenger seat, that would let water into the seat, that would need the seat cover replacing.

Plus what the guys above said.

Yeah I would have the seat cover replaced along with the small visor at the front, neither would be expensive to do and looking at other pics of the CB500F online I think the visor is an aftermarket add on anyway. I've cooled on the idea a bit as after a bit of research although cheap it's maybe not the bargain I thought it was.

I don't think my pics do it justice as it did look very clean apart from these 2 things, and one other i didn't mention before - I did notice some white alloy corrosion on some of the bolts, probably as a result of being left standing outside for to long.

I might revisit and take another look armed with some questions from useful points people have posted above, and offer a lower price. If not something else will turn up. Might be better to spend a bit more on something with zero issues that has been well looked after. The extremely low mileage attracted me but I guess a bike in pristine condition with 10-15k on the clock would be just as good if not better than one with only 2k but possible issues.

Thanks everyone for your input, all useful information.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2022 at 19:31, shagwell said:

Bike is a Honda CB500F with only 1900km on the clock

On 19/01/2022 at 19:31, shagwell said:

Thoughts?

looks like the bike has only been ridden in the upright position as has plenty of Chicken Strips left on the tyres ! so would say never driven at speeds into corners . not a bad buy IMO although I would offer 80,000baht .... see how you go , can only say no . crypto funded 5555 . onya mate, keep up the good work

visor is cheap to replace , plus you can get different coloured tints on them these days , just guessing , maybe replacement would cost over there about 1,000 to 2,000 baht

the corrosion is a small worry , just a bit of buffing will bring it back . all bikes the alloy corrodes after awhile when neglected .... not really a problem . the gold levers ect will eventually fade if bought locally eg : the joint on Baukow near the hospital , called something Thai , rip off joint ... avoid

Edited by onehunglo

I don't think you answered whether it's Thai owned.

Much being made of the low kms but don't underestimate how many bikes here are clocked. An MT07 I sold at 34k reappeared as 20k. The only way to verify kms is with the dealer recorded Service/Warranty Book....does he have it.

Aluminium corrosion....not been a rental parked along Beach Road has it?

Take your time, lots of low kms bargains at present, but above all make sure it's the bike you really want. You'll soon forget it was cheap otherwise.

Low KM is not always an advantage, local trips, thrashing it in a straight line from cold.

A reasonable mileage with a good service history, including stamps and receipts means a lot more.

I would hesitate to buy from a Thai person without a full service record and receipts. 

The mentality is often different as to service times or any servicing at all in Thailand. Simple things, like a regular oil change.

My bikes and car, I would service every 6 months regardless of mileage. I would also be aware of taking them on reasonable length trips to keep them in good running order.

20 minutes ago, Edge said:

I don't think you answered whether it's Thai owned.

Much being made of the low kms but don't underestimate how many bikes here are clocked. An MT07 I sold at 34k reappeared as 20k. The only way to verify kms is with the dealer recorded Service/Warranty Book....does he have it.

Aluminium corrosion....not been a rental parked along Beach Road has it?

Take your time, lots of low kms bargains at present, but above all make sure it's the bike you really want. You'll soon forget it was cheap otherwise.

Yes Thai owned, belongs to the Bolt driver who showed me it. His car was pristine unlike some of them so I was thinking maybe he takes similar care of his bike.

I no it used to be easy to clock analogue displays but didn't realise they could do it with digital displays as well. 

If I go and see it again I'll ask all the questions you have raised. Eventually I will be buying a bigger bike and probably new but I'll be buying that in the Philippines where I will be spending more of time when it re-opens so don't want an expensive bike in both countries.

Having not bought a bike in Thailand before, is it more difficult,expensive to transfer ownership if it registered in Thai name or in another province?

12 minutes ago, GorGuy said:

Low KM is not always an advantage, local trips, thrashing it in a straight line from cold.

A reasonable mileage with a good service history, including stamps and receipts means a lot more.

I would hesitate to buy from a Thai person without a full service record and receipts. 

The mentality is often different as to service times or any servicing at all in Thailand. Simple things, like a regular oil change.

My bikes and car, I would service every 6 months regardless of mileage. I would also be aware of taking them on reasonable length trips to keep them in good running order.

Yeah tell me about it... bought my better half a new bike + sidecar (trike) in the Philippines about 3 years ago, because I'm not there she doesn't get anything done until a problem materializes. Yesterday she had her 3rd rear blowout in the middle of nowhere on account of letting the tire go bald. I told her she has to keep an eye on the tires and change before they get that bad, but why is always the rear one she asks the front one still looks fine - doh maybe because half the time you've got 2 or 3 people in the sidecar and all the weight is at the back. Same mentality to servicing over there.

35 minutes ago, shagwell said:

Yes Thai owned, belongs to the Bolt driver who showed me it. His car was pristine unlike some of them so I was thinking maybe he takes similar care of his bike.

I no it used to be easy to clock analogue displays but didn't realise they could do it with digital displays as well. 

If I go and see it again I'll ask all the questions you have raised. Eventually I will be buying a bigger bike and probably new but I'll be buying that in the Philippines where I will be spending more of time when it re-opens so don't want an expensive bike in both countries.

Having not bought a bike in Thailand before, is it more difficult,expensive to transfer ownership if it registered in Thai name or in another province?

I used to think clocking the digital odometers was harder, but apparently it got easy.
We were talking about it at the bike group I ride with yesterday and it is very common now, more so in Thai owned circles, but one guy said he can tell us where to go if we want it done.
As I said, a proper Service Book will reveal all, but if you get the answer "sorry book lost" then you probably got your answer. You should also check the Green Book to see that it is in the Bolt driver's own name (not sell for friend).

It is not more expensive to t/f from Thai name, but it costs to t/f from another Province and get new plate.
Some don't do it but you are supposed to and most do.
If you're unsure about any of this there is an agent who works at Traffic Verification who will deal with it for you for a reasonable fee..

Palm.thumb.jpg.de17ac17869f8ec20d6aff48c36dc83c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well I went ahead and bought the bike, got it for 95k in the end. The previous owner has been very transparent to deal with, supplied the original rear shock, mirrors and grips, unfortunately he no longer had the original muffler. He also arranged and paid for the green book transfer (I met the agent he used).

Don't know if this was good advice or not but he advised against using Honda coolant and oil saying they are not so good and suggested 'better' alternatives in his opinion - Toyota coolant and AMS oil, also provided a Shopee link for the oil and warned some online providers supply 'copy' oil.

Now need to buy a decent helmet, after looking everywhere yesterday and only finding cheap ones finally found some better ones in the bike shop on soi boukhao near the hospital. Need to decide between a Shark brand open face with retractable tinted visor or and AGV flip lid, both around the 9000 baht mark. Hadn't really heard of Shark before but it looks good feels comfortable and has adjustable air vents on top, maybe a better choice for the hot weather out here than the flip lid?

Then stick it in for a service and get rear seat recovered because of the small cigarette burn and put the original mirrors back on. Also insurance, I guess it's a good idea to have some decent cover, any recommended insurance providers?

bike16.thumb.jpg.b3bee384c3cb6e9c417c6dbdedfb8dc6.jpgbike17.thumb.jpg.50c493cd9c82f1723b7cb6172fffad02.jpg

your road tax has run out 2 years ago, at least the one screwed to the side of the bike is

Do you have the new one?

For all your Pattaya Golf and Hotel Reservations visit www.pattayagolf.com

21 minutes ago, pattayagolf said:

your road tax has run out 2 years ago, at least the one screwed to the side of the bike is

Do you have the new one?

Yes have the new one ( which runs out in August this year) he just hadn't bothered to replace the one in the holder - I'll do it tomorrow.

good on you @shagwell , Shark helmets have been around for ages , not a bad helmet , all the good brands eg : Shark , Arai , Nolan , Bell , Shoei , ..... the ones I can think of atm  , they all start at the low price like yours and work their way up , a race replica Arai will cost about 30-45,000baht

it's what they are made of makes them expensive , I have 2 Arai , 1 Shoei , 1 Bell .  I bought a off road Bell titanium 3yrs ago for 20,000baht to race  speedway  sidecars

I have never scrimped on a helmet where it can save your head . you then can go the next level up as well ! the Bell has magnetised cheek pads that remove so as easier to remove helmet after accident

good on you for join the bike brigade , hope your choices are a winner 

regarding your rear tyre on wires s/car , the reason it will wear out first is it takes the drive , 

cheers and all the best mate