Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

STD testing in the UK now done at home

Mr Flibble

Thought I'd post about this as it surprised me.

I haven't needed STD testing for many years, and then it involved locating the nearest clinic and either booking an appointment or going to a walk in session. I founf it all a bit embarrassing tbh, especially walking in to the clinic and sitting in a crowded waiting room.

As on my recent trip I'd had unprotected sex twice, as well as several bbj's I figured I should get tested on my return to the UK. Add to that just after my return my foreskin swelled up to the point I can barely retract it, though I've had this before and it's usually thrush as I have a medical condition that makes me susceptible to it.

I googled for my local clinic and found that much of the service has moved online, not sure if that's Covid related or if it's been that way for a while given the years since I needed it.

Anyway, I filled out a short online form and within half an hour got a call from a nurse. She asked me about recent partners, what type of activity and whether protection was used. That was on Friday, I've now (Monday) received a home testing kit through the post in plain packaging.

The kit contains various things for collecting samples. Specifically a mouth/throat swab, an anal swab (I mentioned the ladyboy I'd run into so I assume it's in case I'd taken a portion off her), a urine sample vial and a blood sample vial. The box the kit comes in has a postage paid label on so you just pop the box in a post box when done. The paperwork says results should be available within a week.

Given it's the NHS of course it's all free. This is progress as far I'm concerned, all from the comfort of my home.

She also talked me through how long it can take for some STD's to show in testing, and advised repeating the process in 3 and 6 months. She then went on to advise me about prep and pep (a post contact anti HIV treatment I wasn't aware of) and how to go about getting both either now or in advance of any future trip.

I'm very impressed.

finger pricker

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Driedeker said:

finger pricker

Wouldn't have thought that would have been enough, but I suppose medical technology evolves

I still go to a in-person one, it has been that way for a while tho I thought with alot of clinics.

10 hours ago, Decrue said:

Wouldn't have thought that would have been enough, but I suppose medical technology evolves

Once you use the pricker you milk the cut,And yes I thought the same but i was able to fill the container thats in the kit no probs .

4 hours ago, Soon2Thai said:

I still go to a in-person one, it has been that way for a while tho I thought with alot of clinics.

Its a devil of a job to get to see anyone since covid. my surgery only offers phone contact these days.

6 hours ago, Driedeker said:

Its a devil of a job to get to see anyone since covid. my surgery only offers phone contact these days.

So they provide you with instructions on the phone to perform surgery on yourself? 🤣

On 18/01/2022 at 15:47, alexlad said:

So they provide you with instructions on the phone to perform surgery on yourself? 🤣

Its a home kit with all the parts you need no sugery required instructions in the box then post it.results will get you an appointment if pos. I was saying no one including my doctors surgery wants to see you in person since covid.

Edited by Driedeker