Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Future Road Trip

landslide

Well, I've gone and done it. I have committed to a 8 day road trip on my next visit. Plans are renting a car in Bangkok, heading to Suhkothai, Chiangmai and Chiang Rai, then flying back to Bangkok. Unless I get recommendations from other BMs, I will probably rent from Budget. There really should not be any night driving. Budget provides a GPS unit, and I'll pick up a decent road atlas before leaving Bangkok. My thai girlfriend can decipher signs for me, but definitely cannot read a map. Has anybody made this drive, and if so, what should I expect? I know to watch out for trucks, since bigger vehicles seem to have the right of way. I will be leaving Bangkok on a Sunday morning, so traffic will be a little bit less than leaving on a weekday (I hope). I have an International Driving Permit, and my US license.

If you choose to drive, rent from one of the majors: Budger, Avis, Hertz, EuroCar, etc. and get full insurance.

I have driven to CM & CR several times and across to Pai, also Nakhon Pathom and most places in between, plus Hua Hin, Phuket etc etc. Once you are out of the craziness of Pattaya or the traffic jams of Bangkok its easy, both the driving and the navigation, if you have a GPS its really simple.

BiB don't alter though, just a little cheaper is all :Drunk_Party: Do it, you'll enjoy it and can takes lots of pictures and write a great trip report.

I rented a car for 5 weeks from http://www.thairentacar.com highly recommended by me

Also have gps (2oo baht a day up a of max 2k)

Full insurance ect ect The car was returned with a noticeable scratch but it wasn't mentioned

Book ahead to ensure you get your preferred vehicle.

I found driving not a problem just be very aware.

If someone flashes their lights at you it means they are coming thru get out of the f'ing way

Well, I've gone and done it.

Yes you have. Good luck and stick to the left side of the road. :GoldenSmile1:

San Francisco Cocksucka !!!

"Hey, you ever hear, Tom, the Chinese whore has a ancient way of milking ya of yer sorrow, your loneliness and that awful feeling of bein’ forsaken?"

"Seems to me that’d leave you with nothing."

I rented a car for 5 weeks from http://www.thairentacar.com highly recommended by me

Also have gps (2oo baht a day up a of max 2k)

Full insurance ect ect The car was returned with a noticeable scratch but it wasn't mentioned

Book ahead to ensure you get your preferred vehicle.

I found driving not a problem just be very aware.

If someone flashes their lights at you it means they are coming thru get out of the f'ing way

In looking at prices and available vehicles, I narrowed it down to Budget or Thai Rent-a-car, but I just was not completely sure on Thai. Their deductible was lower, as was the price of the rental. The GPS was alittle more expensive, but I think Thai would still coome out ahead on price. Thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate it.

And I will do my best to stay on the left side of the road, even though it just is not normal for me.

I think that you'll have the time of your lives. I always do something like this on my trips to LOS. Do not miss out on Doi Mae Sarong. It's a really funky town where Chinese is heard more than Thai and the hotels do not have air-con because of the cool climate. The drive there alone makes it worthwhile, especially if you approach from the Fang side.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Thanks to all for your comments. I am looking to do something different on this trip, and this ought to do it.