IGNORED

Proxy/router for condo

javasumatra

Hi all,

My condo block has good fast Wi-Fi.  I need to login via a web splash page, enter my credentials and off I go. The problem is that not all the devices i want to connect have a web browser. I know a bit about networks and managed to connect the Apple TV by spoofing the MAC address but I am looking for something a bit more permanent. Is there such a thing as a router/proxy/repeater that will allow me to authenticate and then allow other devices to connect via that router please?

Did some reading, might be easier than I thought. Connect router to Wi-Fi signal, connect laptop to router (alternate Wi-Fi or rj45) connect through browser on laptop.

Recently did this for convenience as I moved from hotel to hotel. The web page you reference is called a 'capture page'. By using a travel router that my Google TV, phones and laptops know I only have to connect the router to the hotel's capture page. A nice aspect is one can have the router connect to a VPN somewhere and all devices tunnel through on the VPN without individual VPN connections.

I used a gl.inet Beryl router in repeater mode as it supports the functionality. If you know something about networking the gl.inet line is highly recommended, if a newbie, not so much.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Did some reading, might be easier than I thought. Connect the router to Wi-Fi signal, connect laptop to router (alternate Wi-Fi or rj45) connect through browser on laptop.

Yeah spot on, you just need a router that can connect to WIFI as its WAN connection, then you connect to the hotel/building WIFI with the 'no security' or no preshared key option. Most travel routers can do this.

When you connect your laptop/phone to your hotspot SSID it will passthrough the captive portal prompt to your device but it takes the routers MAC because of NAT.

Edited by yesandno
  • Thanks 1

It's called WISP mode. Look for any router supporting that mode. I've used a cheap ($30-$70) TP-Link travel router for two years constant now, no problems. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Using a GLi MT300n but never got it to work in the condo. It won’t connect to the condo WiFi at all in order for me for me to open the captive portal page. Tried Mac spoofing but no success. Any ideas? I did a lot of googling and research but am stuck.

2 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Using a GLi MT300n but never got it to work in the condo. It won’t connect to the condo WiFi at all in order for me for me to open the captive portal page. Tried Mac spoofing but no success. Any ideas? I did a lot of googling and research but am stuck.

So you can't connect to wifi or, like my condo, you can connect to wifi but can't open a browser to complete the condo's login page?

I haven't tried ours in awhile, I just connect to a Hotspot on my phone; it's much faster than our condo wifi. 

5 hours ago, javasumatra said:

If your phone or laptop can connect to your condo wifi, then your router should absolutely be able to. One of the setup steps involved is that you need to connect your phone/laptop to your router, open a browser, and access your router with a typical url of 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2. 

I use this little guy. Cheap and small, but it's not the best at grabbing a weak wifi signal. My phone does a better job at connecting to weak signals. 

IMG_20220127_160004.thumb.jpg.9f56d082e12a942598da46c3ce968c09.jpg

Edited by wadman

Thanks for all the help.

I have got a couple of these ->

IMG_9098.heicIMG_9099.heic

I can connect the hotspot to my phone no problem but when I try an connect to the condo, it times out.

IMG_9101.thumb.jpeg.1b607a425ea580f450b870dcc1bcbd6a.jpeg

I've tried my phone and my Mac, same results. I tried spoofing the MAC but no luck. The condo reckons that only laptops, phones etc could connect to their wifi. I initially took this as a can't be arsed answer from them but I am beginning to think that they are doing some sort of blocking.

I suppose the next test, I could see if my apple tv connects to it.

Apple TV connects ok although I cannot authenticate.