IGNORED

Overstaying Visa 1 Day

Sebastien86

After doing most of my booking. I realized my trip will be 31 days long. 

Do I bother going through the hoops for the 60 day Visa or should I just overstay one day?

I hear it's a 500 baht / day fine, which would be ok with me, and cheaper than the Visa. Just wondering if this rule has changed or if anyone has had any experience here.

Thank you,

Seb

Not a big problem. I wouldn't do it, though, as I like a clean record. Another way could be to get a 30 day extension when you're here. 

Also, airline could be a problem if you don't have onward travel within 30 days. 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Actually at the airport they really only give you 29 days as they count the day you arrive as day 1, not day 0. So you would be over 2 days, which is no big deal as long as you make it to the airport ok, and the police don't stop you which is very unlikely. 1,000 baht fine and your good to go.

Edited by WhiteThai
  • Like 2

A few years back I had the same issue, miscalculated the number of days for a tourist visa. In the airport they didn’t give me any fine for 1 day overstay, but they did direct me to their supervisor at a desk who made a note about it in my passport next to the stamp.

I now try to avoid it because I heard that it might be an issue when you want to apply for Thailand elite visa.

If you get the to airport one day over your 30 day allotment, you might be met with a shrug, a 500 baht fine, or possibly (unlikely) a 'demerit' on your passport preventing you from visiting The Kingdom again for a period of time.

If you are caught outside the airport for any reason and you've overstayed, you're properly fucked and can now enjoy becoming involved in the Thai Legal System with the (arguably) disproportionate punishment that goes with it.  Likely to be very unpleasant.

It's a question of how dangerously you want to live, really.  You could most likely get away with it, but I certainly wouldn't predicate my freedom on some asshole's anecdote from a monger's board.  Stay safe out there.

Cheers! 

Always happy to help a fellow monger :)  Stay safe & healthy gentlemen!!!  :hello09:

6 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

I now try to avoid it because I heard that it might be an issue when you want to apply for Thailand elite visa.

Oh, that's a good point. Absolutely true. There's also fast track immigration services that are not available with any history of overstay.

• Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thanks everyone for contributing. It helped me decide what to do.

I'm going to get the Visa  mostly as an insurance policy. Considering how often flights are being cancelled right now, I will not have to worry if I end up staying a bit longer.

I like keeping my record clean too, as a plan to move to the kingdom is in the works as well.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sebastien86 said:

I'm going to get the Visa  mostly as an insurance policy. Considering how often flights are being cancelled right now, I will not have to worry if I end up staying a bit longer.

I like keeping my record clean too, as a plan to move to the kingdom is in the works as well.

Cheers.

Instead of getting a visa you could extend by another 30 days at Jomtien Immigration for 1900 baht.

It really depends what is less hassle.

One day overstay is free, but two days is 2 x 500 baht.

One day is free mainly because so many peoples flights were leaving after midnight, which is something to watch out for.

• Like 2

I had 46 days instead of 45 days back in August during the lockdown. I immediately told the Immigration office, that I had an overstay, he checked my passport and my Immigration card and then called for a supervisor.

She also checked my passport, signed the stamps in the passport and waved me through. No fine to be paid. 

Edited by Zauberfee
  • Like 2

Please keep in mind that everything I write is based on my own experiences, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

There's nothing wrong about being cheap ... but being cheap isn't being smart ... never was, never will be ... it's just cheap

I doubt they would do anything within a day or two, other than possibly a small fine, but I wouldn't want to try test that theory either.

Edited by Kale
  • Like 1

I see a few misconceptions here. 

I once overstayed more than 3 weeks. At the airport I had to pay 500 baht fine for each day of overstay, but other than that no penalty. I asked at the time if this would prevent me entering Thailand again and they said "no, you've paid the fine so you are free to enter again in the future.

I have since been to Thailand numerous times, and now stay here on a Non-O retirement extension, bought property here, and have obtained Thai driving licences. So a 1 or 2 day overstay isn't going to be a problem unless you are unlucky enough to get caught outside the airport in those last 2 days, highly unlikely unless you get into trouble with the law.

The problem you might have is if the airline pick up on your length of stay at check in when you fly here however.

Before I get berated for overstaying 3 weeks - I was initially prevented from leaving at the airport due to a severe case of red-eye which they said could infect other passengers. The hospital that treated the infection then arranged a 2 week extension which turned out not to be long enough, but they could not arrange any further extensions. I was finally issued with a fit to fly certificate after 5 weeks ( 3 weeks after my extension had expired). 

edit - having said all that, if you know you are going to be staying longer than 30 days before you come here I would get the appropriate visa or change flights.

Edited by shagwell
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Sebastien86 said:

Cheers.

Smart decision. One less thing to worry about while here. Although extremely rare, never know if you can get caught up in a checkpoint on the way to the airport and they check your passport and have no choice but to detain/deport you. Plus with COVID everywhere now, testing positive could increase that overstay a bit etc...

• Like 1

I overstayed a couple of days once , went to the immigration office to see about an extension but they told me it was cheaper to pay at the airport and wouldn't be a problem 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 3

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

On 27/12/2021 at 11:10, Sebastien86 said:

Do I bother going through the hoops for the 60 day Visa or should I just overstay one day?

I hear it's a 500 baht / day fine, which would be ok with me, and cheaper than the Visa. Just wondering if this rule has changed or if anyone has had any experience here.

Thank you,

Seb

I wouldn’t worry about it have overstayed a day or 2 loads of times over the years worst that  has happened I have had to pay 500/1000 Baht normally pay nothing 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I overstayed a couple of days once , went to the immigration office to see about an extension but they told me it was cheaper to pay at the airport and wouldn't be a problem 

Same. At Suvarnabhumi airport ticket check-in I was taken to a desk with Immigration Officer, as I had overstayed by about 36 hours; I had extended my holiday by a few days and miscounted.

As I recall there was a small fine plus a red stamp in my passport. I do not read Thai: perhaps it recorded my offence so Immigration/Emigration would check on me on future trips.

I now have a new passport but maybe I am in the Immigration Department computer system.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sebastien86 said:

Cheers.

Yes i agree. this omicron is less severe esp for double jabbed but it appears much more infectious. a pre return flight failure would be bad enough, then  add in permission to stay exceeded and it would be a lot worse

• Like 1

10-15 years ago it was not a big deal to have a few days of overstay (and only 200 Bahts per day).

But one day one officer put a red note on my passport, and I never did one overstay since that day.

If I was you I'll do a VISA on arrival extension at Jomtien, 1900 Bahts for 7 days.... or a covid extension (30 or 60 days for the same price).

• Like 3

I completed the Visa process today, got approval in less than 24 hours. All done online. 1700 THB.

I think in on-pandemic times, I would have not bothered, or went to immigration once there. But with the amount of flight changes, and  document checking that goes on with the current border restriction, being  overly careful is the way to go. One less thing I have to worry about. 

Thanks everyone.

Seb

On 31/12/2021 at 09:32, Stillearly said:

The exact same thing happened to me. They basically refused to extend my visa as it cost more than the fine. 

Edited by Geordie59
  • Like 1

My last trip was technically 31 days, as my flight left at 00:10 on the 31st day. There was no comment from the immigration officer as I cleared passport control 3 hours beforehand. 

TB-ES. 

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 17:59, Spellforce said:

10-15 years ago it was not a big deal to have a few days of overstay (and only 200 Bahts per day).

But one day one officer put a red note on my passport, and I never did one overstay since that day.

If I was you I'll do a VISA on arrival extension at Jomtien, 1900 Bahts for 7 days.... or a covid extension (30 or 60 days for the same price).

I reckon you made the right decision.

• Like 1

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2021 at 15:10, Sebastien86 said:

Thank you,

Seb

As below mentions but if you actually only one day over there is no charge   2 days is 1000

i was 4 days over and had 1500 baht ready.

i said one day free 1500

Reply yes 1 day free 4 day  500 per day 2000 baht 

On 27/12/2021 at 15:21, WhiteThai said:

Actually at the airport they really only give you 29 days as they count the day you arrive as day 1, not day 0. So you would be over 2 days, which is no big deal as long as you make it to the airport ok, and the police don't stop you which is very unlikely. 1,000 baht fine and your good to go.

29 nights is how it is calculated.

same as a 10 day holiday you only pay for  9 night accommodation 

• Like 2

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

2 hours ago, talung66 said:

As below mentions but if you actually only one day over there is no charge   2 days is 1000

i was 4 days over and had 1500 baht ready.

i said one day free 1500

Reply yes 1 day free 4 day  500 per day 2000 baht 

Been like this for as long as I can remember.

The reason given for the one day free is, that its for people who are checking in before midnight, but flying after.