IGNORED

State of the Penthouse Hotel Pattaya

cheez2112

Pretty much a lurker here but I do appreciate such a rich forum for getting psyched up for my annual Thailand Trip!

I am now on my 6th annual trip to Thailand which pretty much puts me between veteran rookie or rookie veteran ;) In Pattaya, I almost exclusively go to the Penthouse. On this, my 6th trip I finally asked, why? There is quite a bit of loyalty there; it was the scene of great threesomes/fantasies which include jacuzzis and sex swings ;) Also, the staff is GREAT. The location is GREAT. But I have, this time around, a short laundry list which finally contributed to me asking why, and ultimately going to a different hotel.

1. Cat piss. The smell of cats and cat piss permeate the whole lobby. I think it used to be a little more "open air" but I noticed that have new doors which may unfortunately not allow for ventilation. The upside - if there is one - is that I have never seen a mouse there! However, I am here with some buddies and I recommended this place and I was really embarrassed. We had just come from Grand Sukhumvit on Soi 6 Nana/BKK which if you know it will give one a interesting perspective. Also, the Penthouse, just by funky reputation alone, gives BFs pause when I tell them I stay there. Definitely don't want cat piss to be the first smell.

2. Construction. Directly above my room construction was going on starting at 9AM. Chiseling tile or banging nails into walls surely was the only possible source of this noise. On my way down for what was now an early breakfast at Palmers (love this place) I kindly inquired if there was construction above my room. "Yes, I will ask them to start at 2PM tomorrow". Ok, or so I thought. I wake up this morning at 8AM to the sound of furniture being moved across tiled floor. Brrrrrrroooomp. Brrrrooooomp. Ok, so that's not pounding nails but WTF. So, bleary eyed, I walk down in my boxers and ask what's going on. Sorry Sir.

3. Bathroom above flooded my bathroom. Gross. For the second day in a row. Two days ago I noticed that my trash can was absolutely full to the brim with water. WTF? Where did that come from, did my BF spray water in there because she was mad at me? Then this morning, quick shower followed by another roll in the hay. Hey BF, did you leave the shower on? No, it was a flood coming from the bathroom ceiling. Gross.

4. Other. a) They started their Penthouse Tuk-Tuk at 8:30am presumably to drop or pick up some customers. They warmed it up this non-mufflered engine for an hour right directly outside the hotel. WTF? b) Towels. Please find out what what household cleaning product goes by the scientific name of Sodium Hyperchlorite. Yes, bleach. Or buy some new towels. Although it didn't happen on this trip I have definitely been given "fresh" towels that have that tell-tale musty chick box smell. My apologies on being graphic. c) Taxi-Motorbike. I have actually been unable to part the sea of motorbikes (taxi or otherwise) that are parked directly in front of the main entry.

4. Price. Expensive. I am now at the Mercure for 1650BHT/night. Why I never discovered this place until now is beyond me. If I am going to pay 2500-3000BHT/night then I definitely need the little things to be just right (not that the things on this list are little).

I realize that this a close knit community and that someone may know Dudley. Consider this a list of suggestions that one person may find important for bettering his overall experience. He himself may read this. I would certainly love to see some change and would obviously consider coming back to the hotel that has such a rich history for me.

Respectfully,

Cheez

I have been going to Pattaya for a long time now. And the main bar I drink in is the Palmers bar next door. I can remember the Penthouse didn't have a gogo. It had a bar and employed bar girls.

Even though I have always drank in Palmers ever since my first visit to Pattaya in 1992 I have never fancied staying in the Penthouse.

In some respects it would be a great place to stay but every so often I read reports from people who have stayed there and there reports have not always been to favourable.

In recent years I have stayed at the Welcome Plaza. This hotel is OK for my needs and is only a short walk away from Palmers

One thing I do like about the Penthouse is that it now has two gogo's :Grin_Jump1:

It's sad, really. I've always wanted to stay there from the time I started planning my first trip about 6 years ago - but due to consistently bad reviews (even back then - and getting worse), I've never chanced it. This place was probably awesome when it was in good shape.

What shocks me is that the format hasn't been copied in a higher quality/newer venue! Seems like they get a ton of business on just the mere idea of the place, and then they lose a lot of business on the bad execution and run-down nature of the facility. If anybody wants a good idea for a popular hotel /guesthouse, try making the penthouse, only do it well. I would bet on the success of such a place.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

It gets pretty much hammered on all the forums not just this one and for good reason. Its a newbie trap pure and simple.

My one stay the cats were jumping on the dining table while I was eating. Found the whole place disgusting to be honest.

BTW - OP, the looks you get from the girls are probably coz they know about the swings and think your a perv than the stink LOL

I have stayed at the Penthouse for maybe over 10 years. The last two visits where not great.

More expenisive everytime.

Front desk staff rude and just plan unhelpful.

Breakfast used to be great now cold drinks are hot and hot food is cold and soggy.

Excessive noise from gogo.

Maids entering without knocking.

Hassles with mini bar every trip now. Just take the bloody thing out of the room.

This is the 1st trip to Pattaya in a long time I am not staying at the penthouse.

Cheez, does the mecure have a joiner fee? I heard it did, it is beside Pattaya bay resort right?

Cheez, does the mecure have a joiner fee? I heard it did, it is beside Pattaya bay resort right?

No. It doesn't have a joiner although my room was for 2-adults. I didn't pull the one night I was there but I did check in with my BF from night before. No problem. I have a couple of mates staying there too and they never mentioned any problems.

Mercure is down Soi 15 about 300 yards off 2nd Road. Not sure which one is Pattaya Bay Resort.

See ya,

Cheez

It's sad, really. I've always wanted to stay there from the time I started planning my first trip about 6 years ago - but due to consistently bad reviews (even back then - and getting worse), I've never chanced it. This place was probably awesome when it was in good shape.

What shocks me is that the format hasn't been copied in a higher quality/newer venue! Seems like they get a ton of business on just the mere idea of the place, and then they lose a lot of business on the bad execution and run-down nature of the facility. If anybody wants a good idea for a popular hotel /guesthouse, try making the penthouse, only do it well. I would bet on the success of such a place.

I think there is some potential with the idea of Penthouse. A new penthouse would have to be "easy to clean". I think a lof that weird wall work and just old-age of the building makes this difficult.

For 5 years I never thought about the premium price - even when the USD sucked so bad last year! I think it was the reaction of my friends who were like WTF! Why does this place smell like mothballs and cat litter!

I'll start working on my high(er) roller friends and pitch the idea of a New Penthouse, maybe called the The Playboy or even better Hustler hotel! ;)

Cheers,

Cheez

BTW - OP, the looks you get from the girls are probably coz they know about the swings and think your a perv than the stink LOL

Absolutely no doubt! :GoldenSmile1:

I have changed your title for SEO purposes, hope you dont mind :GoldenSmile1:

From

"state of the penthouse"

to

"state of the penthouse hotel pattaya"

I have been going to Pattaya for a long time now. And the main bar I drink in is the Palmers bar next door. I can remember the Penthouse didn't have a gogo. It had a bar and employed bar girls.

Even though I have always drank in Palmers ever since my first visit to Pattaya in 1992 I have never fancied staying in the Penthouse.

In some respects it would be a great place to stay but every so often I read reports from people who have stayed there and there reports have not always been to favourable.

In recent years I have stayed at the Welcome Plaza. This hotel is OK for my needs and is only a short walk away from Palmers

One thing I do like about the Penthouse is that it now has two gogo's :GoldenSmile1:

I hate to say it but if you're here in Pattaya now, we are the loud and (slightly) obnoxious Americans (I hate when stereotypes are accurate!) There are about 8 of us who meet up there every morning at 10AM for breakfast and 7:30OM for pre-going-out beers. Give a shout if you see us. I am clearly the most diplomatic of all of us. Just ask for Cheez!

Take care,

Cheez

RE: Two gogos. I think they are working on a new Cat Club and the one functional Go-Go is Obsessions which, for my tastes, has too many katoey.

I have changed your title for SEO purposes, hope you dont mind :GoldenSmile1:

From

"state of the penthouse"

to

"state of the penthouse hotel pattaya"

Thank you!

"newbie trap pure and simple"

Hardly a noob trap Penthouse is in a perfect location for Pattaya. Sure there are several flaws with the Penthouse but 1600 Baht a room isn't a bad deal.

As for the girls knowing that your a 'perv' for staying at the Penthouse I have news for you we are in Pattaya take a look around I have scene a 'perv' in almost every bar in Pattaya they aren't hard to find.

I love showing a girl my Penthouse room it always creates a smile and sometimes awe. I have had girls love the dancing stages in the rooms and I love using all the mirrors for visuals. We are in Pattaya ripping it up might as well stay in an Austin Powers type room

---------- Yeah Baby----------

-Paradise found-

Cheez, I stayed there late last year, and again early this year. Not nearly the number of times like you, but if I had had those experiences of bathroom flooding above, smelly towels, I simply wouldn't return. Your complaints definitely merit attention. I hope you explained to the manager why you were leaving for another hotel. In my travels and stays at hotels (including some 5 star properties), whenever I have had some issue, I document it with clear pictures taken with my digital camera, then attempt to show them to the staff in a tactful way.

Yes, I had some issues. I didn't bring up all of them to their staff. However every issue that I did bring to their attention was dealt with to my satisfaction. Always found their always present staff to be extremely helpful and courteous.

I liked their restaurant, but loved the pool. Yes, the pool could be improved a bit, and maybe they need to hear some suggestions from the clientele. By the way, do you know if the windows are all one way between the pool and the gogo bar? I also liked the swing, which I got to try with a BF on my second trip.

I didn't like the noise that is unavoidable if you are on the side of the hotel above their gogo bar Kittens/Obsessions. I didn't like all of the foofoo stuff in the room - teddy bear, strange pillows, and all the drink coasters scattered everywhere. Sort of pissed me off that they can't maintain a comfortable temperature in their restaurant.

I never used anything from their minibar, except an ice tea or 2.

I don't have the best olfactory senses that you did, but thankfully never smelled anything peculiar. I watched the maids clean the rooms several times, and generally they seemed thorough.

Cost is higher than other hotels, depending on the room, by about $10 U.S. Yeah, a little much, but hoping they can fund improvements. Still, another "penthouse" type hotel in Pattaya would be a great idea.

Good to see this discussion on the forum. I check here just to see if there is some talk on the Penthouse.

TGOEA