Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best value way to stay longer on Thailand Pass?

World Traveller

Which source do you recommend as the most reliable up to date and detailed for Thai visa information these days?

I presume it is a simple matter to extend my visa-exempt stay here. But thing is I need to be able to stay until late January or even late February perhaps with a foreign regional journey in January.

So I need to strategize and figure out the best deal now. Obviously maximum flexibility (multi-entry) and lowest cost (free?) would be ideal. But from what I sort of understand, the days of long-stayng farangs are long past. During COVID is it easier or more difficult?

Mostly, I just want to avoid problems and complications. And not have to go back to Immigration office multiple times because I am missing a screenshot or a piece of paper.

A whole other layer of complexity is the ever changing COVID situation and the fact that everywhere ASEAN is  closed, expensive or a PITA. I am here now and want to get bang for my buck. I found getting even the Thailand Pass aanxiety-inducing.

Perfect would be getting a 3-month multi-entry visa without leaving Thailand. My citizenship is Canadian and my stay expires Dec. 10. However, I am not willing to jump through a lot of hoops or go through agents. I am vaccinated and two weeks ago completed my Quarantine.

What are my options?

49 minutes ago, World Traveller said:

simple matter to extend my visa-exempt stay here

Yes indeed. You can do that now. They will add the days on top of your current admitted until date.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

46 minutes ago, 1500B said:

You left out how old you are and what type of Visa you have now.

Thank you.

Age: over 65. I have no idea what visa I have. I came in with AQ Thailand Pass and was stamped in for 30-days. Technically, I have no visa as I am visa-exempt

Sounds like you can get a 30 day extension with your current arrangements.

If you leave the country and come back (Cambodia?), you could apply for a 60 day TR that can be extended for 30 days.

In Australia, this costs $60 for single entry or $300 for multi entry.

You have to supply evidence of having $x dollars in the bank ($1k AUD here). You also have to show evidence of plane booking, ASQ test and Go hotel and Covid Insurance.

21 minutes ago, 1500B said:

If you leave the country and come back (Cambodia?), you could apply for a 60 day TR

Could be an option indeed. I do remember, though, from my TV days, the consulate in Phnom Penh was getting very difficult to deal with. But, of course, one could always come back for a new exemption. 

37 minutes ago, 1500B said:

Sounds like you can get a 30 day extension with your current arrangements.

If you leave the country and come back (Cambodia?), you could apply for a 60 day TR that can be extended for 30 days.

In Australia, this costs $60 for single entry or $300 for multi entry.

You have to supply evidence of having $x dollars in the bank ($1k AUD here). You also have to show evidence of plane booking, ASQ test and Go hotel and Covid Insurance.

Too many qualifications for this low-brow low-budget itinerant semi-geezer. I will probably just stay put.

What happens after first 30 day extension? Another 30 day extension? Or will I be required to leave Thailandy In the 1990s it was easy-peasy to just hop across the border for ten minutes. Clearly COVID has complicated things.

It's less the money than the hassle. If possible, I would rather pay the fee now to get a brand new/extension of 90-day multi-entry. Not possible it sounds like.

Hmmm, so maybe after one extension and before Jan. 10 I will have to leave Thailand. Not the end of the world and by then who knows where will be open in the region. I have things to do in Singapore and even India. All depends on changing rules in Asia, of course.

I am not in love with Thailand. It's purely a cost vs. reward business decision of where to hang my hat for the winter (plus I need to be in Thailand to keep a personal commitment of two weeks mid to late January) though conceivably I could bugger off to Cambodia for two weeks and do the two weeks Feb. 1-14.

Omicron-willing!

Edited by World Traveller
additional info

1500B wrote...

"In Australia, this costs $60 for single entry or $300 for multi entry."

The price sounds odd to me. Over three times the price to be able to come and go? Same period of time? I am confused.

So you don't want to use an agent and dont want to jump through hoops or have to come and go. And you want it cheap as chips.

Sorry mate but TIT and you can't really have it both ways.

If you don't want to jump through hoops then pay an agent.

If you don't want to pay then jump through the hoops.

• Like 2

Complicating factor?

My final departure flight from Thailand is in late April. Nobody at Thai Immigration or Thailand Pass noticed or cared.

3 minutes ago, World Traveller said:

Complicating factor?

My final departure flight from Thailand is in late April. Nobody at Thai Immigration or Thailand Pass noticed or cared.

So you need to add 5 months then.

I would look into the Covid extensions, I belet they are still going.

They will requt a few hoops to be jumped through though.

Or an agent.

Oh, just remembered, I think they're looking to open the Nong Khai border. So, when your extension ends, you could maybe pop into Laos. I'd think you'd need a new Thai Pass to come back, though. But Vientianne is imho a great place to chill for a while. And the consulate used to be decent to deal with if you'd be looking to get a visa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Smeghead76 said:

So you need to add 5 months then.

They will requt a few hoops to be jumped through though.

Or an agent.

Not five months - my non-visa visa expires Dec. 9. My math says four months.

52 minutes ago, World Traveller said:

Your obligations are not based on your return ticket. You have one 30 day extension available and then you have to leave or face the overstay laws.

54 minutes ago, Smeghead76 said:

If that is still possible you may be in luck although there are reports of people being refused - some get through, some don't.

TR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, my CAD175 ten-year visa for India is looking like great value by comparison. Multi-entry too as long as I stay no more than six months without crossing a border (e.g. border run or holiday in Nepal or Sri Lanka).

For the perk of bargirls and multi-ethnic cuisine in Bangkok not sure Thailand is a good deal anymore.

Of course, my India visa is rotting in my pocket since it is currently unusable.

Friend from Canada tells me he paid THB30,000 to an agent in Pattaya in order to change his visa (he came pre-COVID) to a one year visa. He even thinks he has to pay additional fees to leave and re-enter the country

This is over CAD1100 for the privilege of remaining in Pattaya for a year. The price sounds crazy to me

The world is a big place. I am going to suggest to my associate that we go somewhere else and not rendezvous here. If possible. Thailand is not competitive versus alternatives - Turkey, Vietnam, India, Cambodia etc (though I am fuzzy on the details). I met numerous expats in Istanbul and they didn't have to hock the family jewels to stay on and rent an apartment.

Perhaps you should consider student visa for about 25K Baht, you'll get one year visa

I did it once, you can actually learn Thai which is pretty cool 

Look up Pro Language Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The_Only_One said:

Perhaps you should consider student visa for about 25K Baht, you'll get one year visa

I did it once, you can actually learn Thai which is pretty cool 

Look up Pro Language Thailand 

Thats a very big misconception about the student visa.

The visa itself is only about 3000 baht + the 90 extensions you pay for.

The majority of that 25k is the school fee.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, World Traveller said:

Friend from Canada tells me he paid THB30,000 to an agent in Pattaya in order to change his visa (he came pre-COVID) to a one year visa. He even thinks he has to pay additional fees to leave and re-enter the country

This is over CAD1100 for the privilege of remaining in Pattaya for a year. The price sounds crazy to me

While I get you want value for money it sounds to me like you don't see the value in this situation.

As someone who is going through the visa process currently, I can tell you that I find it great value for money, but I'm also doing it myself so I'm not paying out 20,000 baht to an agent on top of the actual real costs.

This isn't anything new in Thailand with prices.

And for the record your friend paid the agent 30k but the majority of that was not the fee for the actual visa. It is the payment to them to work around the system and get a visa provided ( that your friend may or may not actually be eligible for ). The agent has jumped through the hoops and made the speio payments etc.

On 29/11/2021 at 17:10, World Traveller said:

1500B wrote...

"In Australia, this costs $60 for single entry or $300 for multi entry."

The price sounds odd to me. Over three times the price to be able to come and go? Same period of time? I am confused.

yes your confused it generally better to apply for a SETV or  METV in your own country 

METV every entry giving you 60 days for 6 months validity.

Arrive on last day of expiry then extend gets you 9 months.  

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

Thank you Mr. Naughty Old Man (talung66)...

However, I must deal with current reality. Fortunately I am not dealing with Alberta temperatures. A bad day in Bangkok is better than a good day in Calgary. 

In my experience, the Vancouver Consulate is exceptionally helpful (Calgary Consulate has closed, I believe permanently).

I will look in this forum about what documents or screenshots I need to take to Immigration in order to process application.

I will also open a BA forum account, rather than further waste readers time here.

clarification

5 hours ago, World Traveller said:

I will look in this forum about what documents or screenshots I need to take to Immigration in order to process application.

Applications are now all on line.

Easier to look at your embassy website  http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/tourist-visa/

Tourist Visa “TR” (Single Entry only)
Tourist Visa TR (multiple entry) – suspended

Non-Thai nationals who wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes.

Step 1 – Online e-Visa Application

The applicant who does not have a valid visa or re-entry permit must apply for a visa by:
A. Complete the online e-Visa Application at https://thaievisa.go.th/ and
B. Upload the following documents in PDF format:
1. One passport-size photograph (2″x2″ – JPEG format) taken within 6 months.
Photograph must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person
without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders
2. A copy of Passport (must not expire within 6 months)
3. A copy of flight ticket/ itinerary, showing going from Vancouver to Thailand.
(The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement (20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family)
(The name of the applicant must indicated clearly),
In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship.
(i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

4 hours ago, talung66 said:

Applications are now all on line.

Easier to look at your embassy website  http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/tourist-visa/

Tourist Visa “TR” (Single Entry only)
Tourist Visa TR (multiple entry) – suspended

Non-Thai nationals who wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes.

Step 1 – Online e-Visa Application

The applicant who does not have a valid visa or re-entry permit must apply for a visa by:
A. Complete the online e-Visa Application at https://thaievisa.go.th/ and
B. Upload the following documents in PDF format:
1. One passport-size photograph (2″x2″ – JPEG format) taken within 6 months.
Photograph must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person
without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders
2. A copy of Passport (must not expire within 6 months)
3. A copy of flight ticket/ itinerary, showing going from Vancouver to Thailand.
(The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
4. A copy of recent bank statement (20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family)
(The name of the applicant must indicated clearly),
In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship.
(i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

Thank you Talung66.

All is understandable. This part sounds strange to me though...

"A copy of recent bank statement (20,000 Baht per person..)"

That is only CAD750. Per month, per year, per fortnight, per one-time having in one's bank account? None of those periods make sense.

I will go to the official website.

Question #1 on e-visa site (citizenship) is a no-brainer. However, question #2 (permanent residency/current location) makes no sense because it could be, and indeed *is* in my case anyway,  two distinctly separate answers. The answer to each of these questions is contradictory and impossible to reconcile if forward slash punctuation means 'and/or'. Or rather it is ambiguous. Which is meant, 'and' or 'or'? I am a permanent resident (because I am a citizen and have not taken residency anywhere else) of Canada. But my current location is Thailand. There is space only for one answer.

Additionally, how can I apply for a visa from *inside* Thailand? I do not have a visa, only an entry stamp.  This all sounds very confusing. I do not see anything on the e-visa website regarding the thousands (?) of persons in my situation - those who entered with visa-exempt Thailand Pass. I am sure Immigration Thailand is not pretending that we don't exist.

clarification