IGNORED

Help in converting old VCR tapes into digital format

how122255

I have a bag full of old VCR-C tapes.  These are small VCR-C tapes that go into a full size VCR tape adapter.  I have the full size adapter so they should play in any VCR that uses the American standard of recording.  I have read that VCR's from Asia/Europe use a different type of coding and won't play VCR tapes that were recorded using an American VCR machine.  I have also read that there is a inexpensive cable that will convert a playing VCR tape into a digital format.  I think if someone had a old VCR camera that also might be a way of getting the tapes to play back. My problem is that I live full time in Thailand and have no plans to return to the USA.  I don't have any people in the USA that could help me either.  I was thinking that if I locate a USA type  VCR in Thailand I might try to just use my cell phone and record the images from the TV playback. I'm guessing the picture quality won't be very good.  I have maybe 20-30 hours of tapes but many are just hour long tapes of my children's basketball games where he is running up and back and I certainly don't need all of that transferred.  There is videos of Christmas and family's gatherings that I would really like to have.  I don't mind spend a decent amount of money to do this.  Possibly someone is returning to the USA and could do this for me for a price ??   or maybe someone knows a friend in the USA who could do this and I could mail the VCR tapes over to him.  Has anyone heard of any Thai company that could do this ??  The transferred digital format could be put on a hard drive or memory cards.  Again, I would gladly pay a good price to have this done.  If you have any other suggestions please let me know.  Thanks for any help or info

Edited by how122255

You will absolutely be able to find someone to convert VHS-c to digital format, just get it done professionally. They’ll know how to handle PAL/NTSC (regional variations). It won’t be expensive. Possibility that your tapes may also have some mold inside but cross that bridge if you come to it, it’s not a huge deal. 

4 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

You will absolutely be able to find someone to convert VHS-c to digital format, just get it done professionally. They’ll know how to handle PAL/NTSC (regional variations). It won’t be expensive. Possibility that your tapes may also have some mold inside but cross that bridge if you come to it, it’s not a huge deal. 

This sound good-promising   BUT  where  and by what professional company. Thanks for you info. 

There's a Youtube video (<= link) that shows how you can do this. I did something similar about 10 years back, obivously with a different device than what the guy in the video is suggesting, and the results back then were usable, but hardly top quality. You can buy USB video-capture cards as cheap as THB 150 or so, but whether they're any good I couldn't tell you. You'd still need a VCR or a camera to play back the tape, though.

7 minutes ago, Fumbduck said:

You'd still need a VCR or a camera to play back the tape, though.

That's the BIG problem...  Thanks for your info

A quick Google search found this guy --> https://www.facebook.com/JACKA2J/ near Bangkok. I don't know pricing though.

With it being tapes of your kids (irreplaceable) I think I'd go in person to talk with the shop before leaving the tapes with them to do the job. 

It should be reasonably easy to find a shop in the US to do the conversion for you, but also I think it would be much more expensive. Perhaps less expensive than having a second hand NTSC VCR shipped over here for you to use to transfer the tapes yourself. 

48 minutes ago, Garzan said:

A quick Google search found this guy --> https://www.facebook.com/JACKA2J/ near Bangkok. I don't know pricing though.

With it being tapes of your kids (irreplaceable) I think I'd go in person to talk with the shop before leaving the tapes with them to do the job. 

It should be reasonably easy to find a shop in the US to do the conversion for you, but also I think it would be much more expensive. Perhaps less expensive than having a second hand NTSC VCR shipped over here for you to use to transfer the tapes yourself. 

Thanks !!!   I just wrote to him to get some info and prices. 

I'd order the VCR eqpt from Amazon USA.

Just record the clips with your mobile phone (using a tripod) it directly from your TV screen

You wouldn't really any lose resolution as you are converting from analog to digital 

I just sent some tapes to the Facebook man that GARZAN  found.  He charges 200 baht per hour.  I sent a few as a test trial.   Thanks Garzan