IGNORED

Question for landlords and agents

World Traveller

Why is it so difficult to find a unit (daily or weekly, less problematic monthly and especially leases of one year) with the following...

... Practical cooking and eating facilities and space.

To me this means...

- gas stove (or a 2-burner electric stove, at the *very least* a microwave and toaster)

- a single or double sink with running hot water (and a sink stopper!)

- full size dining room table and comfortable chairs

- rice-cooker, half-decent pots and pans, cutting board, serious knives, ladles etc

It is easy to find swimming pools, Gyms, gardens, scenic views, safety boxes (more likely at front desk), satellite TV, huge TVs, immense beds to sleep three persons, wall mirrors, balconies, those ridiculous bath towels contorted into animal shapes, and even that 1/3 the essential of a kitchen, a refrigerator.

But a real place to cook and eat - close to zero. I don't know what persons with special diets do. You know - kosher, vegetarian, no gluten, whatever.

I can only speculate as to reasons...

1. Fire safety

2. Insurance (see #1)

3. Not enough market demand (most are happy to eat out)

4. hotel owners operate restaurants not operate grocery stores

5. Smells are difficult to control

6. Single persons (especially solo male travellers) are rarely interested in cooking

7. Space factor - plumbing, electricity, fans: a nightmare

I have the same problem in India, Turkey and Ukraine. So, it's not unique to Thailand. But in Canada and USA it's not a big deal finding motel rooms with space and equipment to DIY your meals. Japan I don't remember.

I was shocked and delighted to find in my current Soi Bukhao cheapo one of those boiler/water heaters for making tea and my instant Taiwanese cereals only. In the past just getting a kettle was rare.

I hate being dependent on sellers of cooked food. But everywhere in Thailand, I am. I have even rented a *studio apartment* in Chiang Mai without any facility to cook unless I started from scratch on the balcony.

Do Thais and tourists not like to cook? To me one of the biggest pleasures of being in a  different place is going to the market, shopping for fresh ingredients then spending hours in the kitchen, followed by inviting friends over to eat in my temporary hhome

I *am* able to find such places in Jomtien (e.g. via Vrobo on hotels.com), but not in Central Pattaya. Downtown there are statistically close to zero.

This apartotel idea just doesn't work in urban core Thailand - in fact it is so completely impractical as to be a pipe dream. Why so?

Edited by World Traveller

Gas might not be allowed in condos, but most that I have seen have a 2 burner electric stove.

I think most condos that are available daily or weekly don't encourage cooking. If you have had some guests from the most populated country in the world  cooking in your condo, you would understand. 

Further I believe that there are not that many short term renters, who would want to cook on their short holiday. They might have to cook everyday in their home country and want now to enjoy the cheap and delicious food on offer in Thailand in food stalls and restaurants. 

So why equip the condo with all these tools, which tend to disappear one by one (or sometimes several at a time) after each rental? One would have to check inventory carefully and get the renter to sign the list. This takes time and costs money. Then renters will complain later that they won't receive their deposit back when half the stuff is missing or potentil renters offer you 5000 Bt per month because they have seen another unit going for that price.

Large tables hardly fit into the showboxes that are now for sale, so either you chose an older building with larger studios or a 1 bed apartment. 

Does one really need hot water in a kitchen in Thailand? Water is never that cold and with some drops of dish soap, I - or better Mrs. CampariO - achieved always clean and sparkling dishes and glasses after the washing up. 

I rent out 2 studios and as I prefer long term rental, I opted to install a proper kitchen:

273080208_202105101188.thumb.jpg.f9cff187401171abb1f495754f560f6e.jpg

2 burner hob to the left, single (cold water) sink to the right.

1584115421_202105101188-Kopie.thumb.jpg.f4a9ece230a89bab2fb08800a4a165de.jpg

Dishrack, cutting board and glasses...

403616221_202111163188.thumb.jpg.62a92f4c19229867b9b8196d3d612350.jpg

Plates and a rice cooker...

1371756944_202111166188.thumb.jpg.233a0e9f410c1daac3b9189f11ce6ec8.jpg

2 pots and a pan

1247195538_202111168188.thumb.jpg.96733ad3576af195afe7dfbbcc25a6db.jpg

Tools...IMG20211118133521.thumb.jpg.6387253af16c88f612aceb84786490bc.jpg

Coffee machine, kettle, toaster...

1073849448_202111174188.thumb.jpg.fd0c3fb96b60903e953cb61727fb500a.jpg

The studio is designed for long term renters, who then can purchase everything else they need by themselves. Though for now I am offering them monthly until I can find a longer  contract. 

If you think there is something essential missing, I am happy to take your advice and spend a little more money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. What you say is logical and good business. If I accomplish my goals here and want to rent for one month, maybe I contact you.

Does your studio have kitchen fan to remove cooking smells? I know exactly what you are talking about regarding spice smells. I cook South Asian and my landladies in Canada and Ukraine complained about aromas of cumin, garlic etc. I COOK CURRY EVERY DAY just like someone from Bangladesh or India (although I am a 'white' man from North America. Eyes wide open!

I have never understood why there are not Bachelor shared apartments with communal cooking area. I suppose no market demand or problems with administering.

It is also officially illegal for private landlords to let properties for less than a month, this rule was bought in a few years ago as it was considered unfair to official hotels. Of course people do rent condos for shorter periods but most won't openly advertise it for that reason.

I have 2 condos that are normally available for rent, both have electric hobs but no oven. One is in Naklua and relatively small (studio) but has just had a complete remodel. This one though is rented out for a month from 22 Nov. The other is a 1 bedroom double unit directly opposite Treetown, remodeled a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I am staying in that one for the time being!

I myself prefer long-term tenants rather than short term as well but many will take what they can get at the moment.

27 minutes ago, World Traveller said:

Does your studio have kitchen fan to remove cooking smells? I know exactly what you are talking about regarding spice smells. I cook South Asian and my landladies in Canada and Ukraine complained about aromas of cumin, garlic etc.

It does have an extractor hood with the exhaust is piped through the false ceiling to the balcony. It is located in View Talay 5D. In case you are interested, PM me. It was totally refurbished this year and not rented out yet. 

21 hours ago, World Traveller said:

Why is it so difficult to find a unit (daily or weekly, less problematic monthly and especially leases of one year) with the following...

Very easy to find.

You get what you pay for.

As mentioned above, you cannot "legally" rent a condo for less than one month. 

There are many hotels that have all these facilities you are after - at a price.

There are many serviced apartments in Pattaya. They rent daily, weekly, monthly and most come with kitchens. Google 'Serviced apartments' or 'Serviced Suites' there are many available.

• Thanks 1